Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 07:43 PM

209 posts, read 253,760 times

Advertisements

Within the last 15 years, there has been a significant increase of Chinese and other Asians in the public housing developments in NYC.

The Lower East Side NYCHA Housings of course already has a lot thanks to them being near Chinatown.

However, even in East Harlem some of the Public Housings are now getting more Chinese.

In Brooklyn, the Marlboro houses in Bensonhurst and in Coney Island, the NYCHA developments are getting significant increase of Chinese and Asians.

In some northern sections of Brooklyn like Fort Greene Areas and near the Manhattan/Brooklyn Bridges and even Carroll Gardens area, there is a noticeable amount of them in those NYCHA developments.

Has anyone notice any increase of Asians in any NYCHA developments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2017, 07:49 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,856,184 times
There are TONS of flyers up in chinese all over chinatowns from agencies helping people find affordable housing. There's also (i hope this doesn't sound racist) free SAT tutoring all over the city for dedicated students willing to put the work in. Some people sit back in life and let everything happen to them and cry victim, others are WAAAAAAAAAAAY more proactive and take advantage of the opportunities that exist even if it means putting EXTRA due diligence into making it happen. Affordable housing is no different.

Old 01-17-2017, 07:50 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,856,184 times
Don't poop on me for saying this, but what is a better investment? 400 dollars for an SAT prep course? or a pair of 400 dollar sneakers.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:04 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,768,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
Don't poop on me for saying this, but what is a better investment? 400 dollars for an SAT prep course? or a pair of 400 dollar sneakers.
Asians place a huge emphasis on education. They see it as The Ticket out of poverty.
And the tremendous pressure Asian kids have to get into Stuy, Bronx Sci or Brooklyn Tech (in that order) is unbelievable.
Forget Harvard. You have to get into Stuy first!

Old 01-17-2017, 10:22 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toby2016 View Post
Within the last 15 years, there has been a significant increase of Chinese and other Asians in the public housing developments in NYC.

The Lower East Side NYCHA Housings of course already has a lot thanks to them being near Chinatown.

However, even in East Harlem some of the Public Housings are now getting more Chinese.

In Brooklyn, the Marlboro houses in Bensonhurst and in Coney Island, the NYCHA developments are getting significant increase of Chinese and Asians.

In some northern sections of Brooklyn like Fort Greene Areas and near the Manhattan/Brooklyn Bridges and even Carroll Gardens area, there is a noticeable amount of them in those NYCHA developments.

Many of those Asians are immigrants (legal and illegal) and are poor to working class, with a smattering of self-employed (business owners) and so forth. Finally you have a good amount of Asian seniors who came here legally or not, but do not have very much money saved and or do not have enough (or any) quarters to qualify for Social Security.

Asians tend to shun "welfare" and of course the illegals don't want to draw attention to themselves and or believe that applying for same or anything to do with government will bring immigration.

All this being said Asians are no fools, when they spot a good thing being "given away" many will take advantage.

Know of at least two NYCHA senior residences that have seen a rapid increase of Asian (mostly Chinese) out on Staten Island.

Old 01-17-2017, 10:25 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,006,511 times
Quote:

I know where youre going with this..

Old 01-17-2017, 10:47 PM

377 posts, read 509,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toby2016 View Post

What is the point of that you are trying to make or are you simply being informative? If you are being informative, I thank you for this information. It is interesting and shows that New York is indeed a melting pot.

Old 01-17-2017, 10:55 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,478,770 times
mix it like singapore's housing projects

Old 01-18-2017, 11:25 AM

546 posts, read 764,352 times
My bet its the elderly asians not younger people

Old 01-18-2017, 12:03 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
What's your excuse for being poor and struggling then? You don't seem to be able to do what the top Asian students do, yet you want to put people down for supposedly buying $400 sneakers. Mind you I never met anyone who bought $400 sneakers, nor have I seen statistical data confirming that this is common in any population. It sounds like an urban myth.

If I were you, I would concentrate on what I'm doing though. You should much more worried about yourself, considering what you've said about your financial condition instead of worrying about what others buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City