Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 04:17 AM

106,500 posts, read 108,569,848 times

Advertisements

i still don't see that info about the op here , did i miss it ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2017, 04:34 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,624,814 times
He's a regular poster here.

Old 01-21-2017, 04:41 AM

got it . had no idea of his personal situation other than what he posted here . that is a whole other story .

Old 01-21-2017, 06:02 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,474,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i didn't see where any of that information was posted ? was it another thread the op started ?

you are right not everyone can do what those who found a way can do . but that is what makes those who found a way where others can't unique .
I agree. You are exceptional. You are not an average person. I took a real estate course and learned the two instructors were millionaires. They made their money through real estate. The average person would never know because they have average jobs. The one guy is a New York City bus driver. These people are exceptional. How many people with real estate licenses will every attain that level of success? Not many. Some of us are average working citizens. We all do not have the ingenuity to create opportunities for ourselves.

How many of you have recently been unemployed? Obviously, it depends on your field but things are different now. I have never heard of this person's profession but he would know better than anyone the state of his profession. Maybe there are no jobs in his field. I just googled Industrial Chemist in NYC on Indeed and 10 positions came up. Two of them want entry level Chemists. A couple look like low level positions. I do not know about you but that equates to no jobs to me. That is terrible. Of course, you are going to develop mental issues if you have been unemployed for a year. OMG! If there are deeper issues, he should go to the city (HHC) hospital and get help.

The longer you are unemployed the more undesirable you are to employers.This person is in a bad spot. I do not know what transferable skills he has. His profession is so specialized.

The advice I could give as an average working stiff is to get a job through a temp agency. It is the easiest way to gain employment. The pay is terrible but it is work. You never know where it can lead. I think some employers would be intrigued by a chemist. I took chemistry in college and it was hard. The person has to have above average intelligence.

Another issue is pay. According to Indeed, it states Chemists salaries in NYC is $125,000. That is a lot of money. There are not many jobs going to pay $125,000. It was a little conflicting because the entry level position is paying between $15 to $25 per hour. I don't know. Many experienced professionals who lose their jobs are not able to find jobs wiling to pay them what they once made. Most of the people I worked with that got laid off had to take pay cuts. One person had to take a $20,000 pay cut. It is not easy for the experienced professional without managerial experience. Why pay you top top dollar when they can get a person with a few years experience and pay them less?

As for the homeless issue, I experienced it briefly and stayed in a hotel. I have been told that people actually live in homeless shelters. I do not know anything about it. I guess he should stay in the shelter and focus on finding employment. The library is such an excellent resource. They may be able to help with redoing his resume and finding other resources to help him. I wish him the best of luck.

Old 01-21-2017, 06:24 AM

my story really is not that unique . i had no clue about how to get in on the deals we did in nyc real estate. but i made sure i networked with those who did . i would never have been privy to those deals nor even knew about them on my own .

success many times is nothing more than surrounding yourself with successful people instead of hanging with ,high fiving and commiserating with others in your position . as they say , if you think poor , odds are you will be poor .

95% of what i learned about retirement planning and investing came from very very few sources , because there are very few i think that really know ..

it isn't i am any smarter than others , in fact in reality i am a bit ADHD . i just made it a point to learn who the smart folks are and use their brains and ability's . .

perhaps it was just motivation , because there was no way raising my own family in the projects was going to be an option ..

i am pretty sure we all made one thing or another happen in our lives because we wanted it bad enough .the rest of the stuff we never make happen .

Last edited by mathjak107; 01-21-2017 at 06:33 AM..

Old 01-21-2017, 06:44 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,927,367 times
Quote:
i still don't see that info about the op here , did i miss it ?
He is a regular poster and has mentioned being in his 50s, being homeless long term, and living in shelters for quite some time. He has mentioned on other threads getting money from people off the street. He's not in a good place, and hasn't been for some time. I don't think you repeating your story about how you struggled from the projects to being rich is helping him, and it sounds like you're mocking him/kicking him while he's down/judging him.

Have some sympathy for other people, and do realize that some people have mental and medical issues that prevent them from working. And as another poster said, the longer one has been unemployed, the harder it is to find work. Especially for someone in their 50s. He may never get another good paying job again, especially if his field has left NYC or has diminished so much there are no more jobs in the city. And I don't think a homeless man in his 50s is going to just get up and move to where the jobs are (and even if he did, he'd be homeless in his new place and there'd be a good chance he still wouldn't find work).

I think the OP should get all the help he can, including applying for disability and whatever other programs he can get. If he is able to find work later on, and it's enough to sustain him and he is able to stay on the job he can always report his income and get social services discontinued. If not on social services at least he'll have a stable place to stay, and getting a stable place to stay goes a long way in treating depression and other mental illness.

Some of you on this forum go way too far in dehumanizing poor people, or people who aren't otherwise successful, and your words may be extremely hurtful to those with mental illness or who otherwise realistically can't succeed.

Old 01-21-2017, 06:45 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,927,367 times
Quote:
my story really is not that unique . i had no clue about how to get in on the deals we did in nyc real estate. but i made sure i networked with those who did . i would never have been privy to those deals nor even knew about them on my own .

success many times is nothing more than surrounding yourself with successful people instead of hanging with ,high fiving and commiserating with others in your position . as they say , if you think poor , odds are you will be poor .

95% of what i learned about retirement planning and investing came from very very few sources , because there are very few i think that really know ..

it isn't i am any smarter than others , in fact in reality i am a bit ADHD . i just made it a point to learn who the smart folks are and use their brains and ability's . .

perhaps it was just motivation , because there was no way raising my own family in the projects was going to be an option ..

i am pretty sure we all made one thing or another happen in our lives because we wanted it bad enough .the rest of the stuff we never make happen .
Again this thread isn't about you. And again you basically mock the OP.

Given that you now know his situation and have no helpful advice, can you allow others with more helpful advice to try to help him out?

Old 01-21-2017, 07:00 AM

nope , i can't help him . he has to help himself . i can only guide those who actually want to succeed and tell them what worked for me , which may be even more beneficial if it gets them thinking . .

that is what i always want to know , what did those were were fairly successful do that maybe i am leaving out of the picture ..

once someone is on a path of financial suicide i can't bring them back to life

Last edited by mathjak107; 01-21-2017 at 07:15 AM..

Old 01-21-2017, 07:13 AM

546 posts, read 762,894 times
that is ur problem, "anything" get a specific skill, even Computer hardware tech has more weight.
i also think OP has a criminal offender background which limits opportunities...

go NY DOL website for job leads

Old 01-21-2017, 07:22 AM

954 posts, read 937,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Some of you on this forum go way too far in dehumanizing poor people, or people who aren't otherwise successful

That's not fair.

I hear what you guys are saying but the OP didn't mention anything about his age or living status. I don't know this person. He didn't mention that, he made a statement and we answered according to the info he gave. I have already recommended that he see a mental health professional.

That being said; it doesn't change anything. He asked for advice and we gave it. I'm telling the truth as someone who has been in management, someone who has been laid off, someone who has been out of a job. If the OP doesn't want to follow our advice he doesn't have to. The fact is he is his own worst enemy right. We can baby him and be nice but that's not getting him a job. Just telling him to "keep doing what he's doing" isn't going to work. He's been doing what he is doing and it hasn't worked for him.

I don't believe in that "special" stuff. No one is special. Everyone Is capable of succeeding (yes even people with mental illness; just look at Donald Trump!). We do a disservice to people when we make it seems like success is "not for them" and that they should just give up on life. You have no idea what people are capable of! How dare you just assume they can't do something! You also have idea what other posters ny have went though; We could of been homeless too. My job got completely outsourced; I was sent an email after 10 years telling me I was fired, and I was then forced to train my replacement! I saw that certain positions in IT are getting outsourced more and more so I got out. It was scary, difficult and I questioned myself everyday (in addition to having a family I had to care for) but I did it. Btw, I also grew up very poor.

I'm not special, there is nothing unique about me. I'm just like everyone else but I focused on making the right decisions and having the right attitude. Trust if you met me you'd see how not special I really am.

So dispite now knowing more about he OP; my advice doesn't change. Keep feeling sorry for yourself and give up or change everything and start fresh with a positive attitude and a get help. We can keep making excuses for people or we can tell them the truth. And it is that; the truth. Whether you like it or not and people need to hear it.

Last edited by Principle Lewis; 01-21-2017 at 07:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City