Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 09:53 AM

122 posts, read 328,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Grocery store will be on ground floor of 300 Ashland Place tower, next to Brooklyn Academy of Music

By KEIKO MORRIS
Jan. 19, 2017 8:00 p.m. ET

Whole Foods Market Inc. plans to bring its lower-priced store chain, 365 by Whole Foods Market, to Brooklyn’s Fort Greene neighborhood.

The first 365 store in the tri-state area will sit at the base of 300 Ashland Place, a new 35-story tower next to the Brooklyn Academy of Music and not far from the Barclays Center, the company said.

The upscale residential building, developed by Two Trees Management Co., offered a spot close to numerous public transportation options and cultural venues, according to Whole Foods. It is in a neighborhood that has undergone a residential building boom in recent years.

“It’s a cultural area that sees a lot of traffic around it,” said Jeff Turnas, president of 365 by Whole Foods Market. The company had targeted the neighborhood, and the retail space in the tower fit its needs, Mr. Turnas said. The store is expected to open in early 2018.

The lower-priced 365 store promises the same quality as the traditional Whole Foods Market, with an emphasis on self-service. The new store won’t have as many items as traditional Whole Foods Market stores, but will feature a selection of local beer and bring in local vendors through its Friends of 365 program to operate within the supermarket.

The 365 concept is an attempt to shake the “whole paycheck” image associated with its traditional stores, which are known for high quality but also high prices, said Karen Short, managing director in equity research at Barclays Capital Inc. The chain aims to appeal to millennials and compete with such low-cost rivals as Trader Joe’s, she said.

“Part of the idea with 365 is to introduce a completely new banner that doesn’t have stigma associated with it,” said Ms. Short.

The typical 365 store has a no-frills design, analysts said, and is between 25,000 and 30,000 square feet. The Brooklyn store, by contrast, will occupy about 43,000 square feet on two levels.

The supermarket makes sense for the tower, which is clad in composite aluminum and focuses on public experience, said Jed Walentas, principal of Two Trees. The tower has about 50,000 square feet of space dedicated to cultural experiences. It will house four BAM Cinema screens, a branch of the Brooklyn Public Library and the Museum of Contemporary African Diasporan Arts.

Two Trees built a 17-foot-high lower level as part of the retail space with Whole Foods Market in mind, long before any lease was signed, Mr. Walentas said. The supermarket will have the benefit of regional customers taking the subways and trains to borough neighborhoods and to Long Island, as well as shoppers in the neighborhood.

“All of the great space in this project is about the public and about making this a better district, tying together the Barclays Center, the existing mall and the cultural district,” Mr. Walentas said.
Whole Foods to Open a Lower-Priced

Quote:
Downtown Brooklyn is quickly becoming one of NYC’s most desirable commercial hubs. On top of hosting a lengthy roster of big name retailers and entertainment centers—which include a new Target, Trader Joe’s, Century 21, Apple store, Alamo Drafthouse cinema, Brooklyn Academy of Music and Barclays Center—the neighborhood will soon welcome a brand new, lower-priced Whole Foods concept store called “365” at Two Trees’ 300 Ashland Place. According to a press release, the store will open in early 2018 and be set up as a no-frills version of the grocery giant.

While the store will feature fewer items than the usual Whole Foods, it will still offer the same standards of quality in the form of “ready-to-eat meals and snacks, fresh produce, meat, seafood, cheese, beer and pantry items”—all for considerably less. Additionally, 365 will emphasize self-service and feature local items procured through Whole Foods’ Friends of 365 program.

In their announcement this morning, reps were quick to stress that Two Trees’ choice to bring the discount version of the retailer to the neighborhood reflects a broader goal to “build and enhance” the local community rather than drive gentrification. As many know, Whole Foods is often referred to as “Whole Paycheck” and has much had trouble shedding its elitist image.

“We believe our fresh new format will be a perfect fit for the Brooklyn community,” said Jeff Turnas, president of 365 by Whole Foods Market. “We can’t wait to make 365 a part of this vibrant cultural district.”

Moreover, beyond the immediate neighborhood, the store’s location next to the Atlantic-Barclays terminal (served by the 2, 3, 4, 5, B, D, N, Q, R and LIRR trains) is expected to also pull in shoppers from other borough neighborhoods.

The 365 concept is the first to open in the tri-state area and will measure about 43,000 square feet. According to the Journal, long before any lease was signed, Two Trees was eyeing Whole Foods as their flagship retailer and built the ground-level space to suit.
https://www.6sqft.com/whole-foods-wi...town-brooklyn/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2017, 11:08 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Downtown Brooklyn is now completely gentrified. I'm glad the area has much better retail for it's residents.

Old 01-20-2017, 11:15 AM

5,464 posts, read 5,710,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Downtown Brooklyn is now completely gentrified. I'm glad the area has much better retail for it's residents.
A lot more retailers are set to move in, especially into the new CityPoint complex, which hosts the only Alamo Drafthouse movie theater in NYC.

Old 01-20-2017, 12:33 PM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Wow this store is gonna make $$$$$$$$$

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-20-2017, 12:45 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,616,935 times
I remember almost every grocery store being expensive when I lived in DT Brooklyn. I'll have to check it out when it opens.

Old 01-20-2017, 12:55 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
I remember almost every grocery store being expensive when I lived in DT Brooklyn. I'll have to check it out when it opens.
I've been buying the 365 brand for years. I don't see the need to go to this store when the 365 brand is available at all Whole Foods stores. They offer organic products, mainly "Made in USA" unless it is something like GMO free pesto which is "Made in Italy", but the quality is good and there isn't any secret about where the food is produced unlike Trader Joe's, so I don't see why this store is suddenly such a shock. Whole Foods overall is reasonable if you don't buy specialty items. Quite frankly I find that things even themselves out.

Old 01-20-2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I've been buying the 365 brand for years. I don't see the need to go to this store when the 365 brand is available at all Whole Foods stores. They offer organic products, mainly "Made in USA" unless it is something like GMO free pesto which is "Made in Italy", but the quality is good and there isn't any secret about where the food is produced unlike Trader Joe's, so I don't see why this store is suddenly such a shock. Whole Foods overall is reasonable if you don't buy specialty items. Quite frankly I find that things even themselves out.
Downtown Brooklyn doesn't have a Whole Foods, and the Pathmark that was near Atlantic Terminal went out of business. So the area definitely had an opening for good grocery stores (Trader Joes is coming to the area as well). Whole Foods is using the 365 brand to expand to new locations. Eventually when Whole Foods put's a store in Queens it will likely be 365. Ditto for when South Bronx takes off enough (that maybe some years from now).

Old 01-20-2017, 01:03 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times
Quote:
Downtown Brooklyn doesn't have a Whole Foods, and the Pathmark that was near Atlantic Terminal went out of business. So the area definitely had an opening for good grocery stores (Trader Joes is coming to the area as well). Whole Foods is using the 365 brand to expand to new locations. Eventually when Whole Foods put's a store in Queens it will likely be 365. Ditto for when South Bronx takes off enough (that maybe some years from now).
I know all of that. My point is there is no need for people to go to this store that don't live anywhere near that location solely to save money. The 365 brand is available in ALL Whole Foods stores.

Old 01-20-2017, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I know all of that. My point is there is no need for people to go to this store that don't live anywhere near that location solely to save money. The 365 brand is available in ALL Whole Foods stores.
I understand your point, and agree. I don't think Whole Foods expects people to travel long distances to go there, either. This store is meant for the neighborhood.

I'm glad the area has transformed so much.

Old 01-22-2017, 08:43 AM

2,678 posts, read 1,701,142 times
Quote:
Pathmarks everywhere has been out of business for years so it makes sense that something would come in and replace it. This is good news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: