Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 05:46 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyDownDweller View Post
That is your opinion. In my opinion Americans do have a lot to be angry about

-income inequality has never been greater, a few billionaires like Trump own all the wealth
-People of color are getting gunned down in the street everyday in a way that whites are not
-our tax dollars are being used for drone strikes and wars on 7 countries, yet the government claims there is no money for education, housing, repairing infrastructure, or healthcare
-the new president of the United States is xenophobic, mysognyistic, and racist
-wages remain stagnant while our cost of living keeps rising

These are some of the main reasons millions of people marched over the weekend. The civil rights movement, women's movement, etc... these movements do not END they have made gains, but they will continue so that they can protect these gains and win more gains for future generations
If those are the reasons for the marches over the weekend than they should be protesting centralized government in general, not just Trump. They should be protesting Bush and Obama even more so than Trump. But of course blame the guy that hasn't even become president (or even a politician for that matter) yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 06:16 PM

115 posts, read 104,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
If those are the reasons for the marches over the weekend than they should be protesting centralized government in general, not just Trump. They should be protesting Bush and Obama even more so than Trump. But of course blame the guy that hasn't even become president (or even a politician for that matter) yet.
Hmm... is "centralized government" making up the policies that lead to these outcomes or is the people who are leading government who push these policies? The point is people who march think that the policies Trump ran on would reverse the gains made from all of those movements.

Old 01-23-2017, 06:17 PM

40 posts, read 27,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Was just thinking this myself ... Trumps been in the job days and he must be a remarkable man if he's caused everything he's quoted in a matter of days, going back some time (if what he even says is 100% accurate and not exaggerated)

What was Obama doing for 8 years, then?

Old 01-23-2017, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbraith View Post
Was just thinking this myself ... Trumps been in the job days and he must be a remarkable man if he's caused everything he's quoted in a matter of days, going back some time (if what he even says is 100% accurate and not exaggerated)

What was Obama doing for 8 years, then?
And who says there haven't been folks criticizing the government for these exact things for decades?

Old 01-23-2017, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharlem1 View Post
And who says there haven't been folks criticizing the government for these exact things for decades?
You are missing the point mate.

Old 01-23-2017, 06:23 PM

Quote:
You are missing the point mate.
You're missing the point that all Presidents, at one time or another, are protested against at some point over their term. This is protested for things he actually said and policies he said he would pursue that would be harmful to women.

Old 01-23-2017, 06:46 PM

Quote:
You're missing the point that all Presidents, at one time or another, are protested against at some point over their term. This is protested for things he actually said and policies he said he would pursue that would be harmful to women.
Nupe I'm not missing that point at all because I've not denied that.

You are missing the point, because, if you read back to the quotes I'm referring to it's in a Donald Trump context. Bogeydown is talking about protests against what he perceives as problems but are actually historical problems that Trump is getting the blame of in his what? 4 days as president?

I'm not some big Trump elitist by the way - I just don't think that the extreme tones, exaggerations and downright BS that people go nuts lumping him with shows anyone in a good light other than making themselves look a bit mentally unstable. Apologies if that offends anyone it's just how I see it.

For what it's worth I think there's plenty real genuine things to take Trump to task over such as calling Mexican's rapists on TV. Thought that was disgraceful personally.

Concentrate on things like that rather than absolute nonsense like saying he advocates rape and he's the cause of historical problems that some perceive.

Old 01-23-2017, 06:58 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Quote:
Hmm... is "centralized government" making up the policies that lead to these outcomes or is the people who are leading government who push these policies? The point is people who march think that the policies Trump ran on would reverse the gains made from all of those movements.
Read the post I was responding to.

I'm all for protest. And believe violent protest can be very effective. Protesters need to step it up if they think its worth it.

And to answer your stupid question, its centralized government. They're not worth the cost.

Old 01-25-2017, 06:17 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,362,533 times
Quote:
Another taking things to extremes
We're just going to have to disagree. I have seen the mindset of people that powerful. They do horrible things because they know that they can get away with it. Some arent wealthy/influential. They just get away with a lot. With Zimmerman, he had a history of being violent and losing his temper. Look what he ended doing. He followed,harassed, and then killed Trayvon Martin. Same thing with the story I told you about the woman in university who was beat to a pup. With that, I think his father was also a judge but his family was quite wealthy. He got away with assaulting a police officer, fughts in bars, etc. No jail time and then finally he killed his girlfriend. What makes you think someone who feels they can just frab a woman's pu**y an can get away with it becaude of who he is, wouldnt consider raping a woman just because he can and can get away with it? Sorry for the spelling. This phone of mine...

Old 01-25-2017, 06:23 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,362,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyDownDweller View Post
That is your opinion. In my opinion Americans do have a lot to be angry about

-income inequality has never been greater, a few billionaires like Trump own all the wealth
-People of color are getting gunned down in the street everyday in a way that whites are not
-our tax dollars are being used for drone strikes and wars on 7 countries, yet the government claims there is no money for education, housing, repairing infrastructure, or healthcare
-the new president of the United States is xenophobic, mysognyistic, and racist
-wages remain stagnant while our cost of living keeps rising

These are some of the main reasons millions of people marched over the weekend. The civil rights movement, women's movement, etc... these movements do not END they have made gains, but they will continue so that they can protect these gains and win more gains for future generations
Exactly! I mean...there was a story the other day of how a billionaire left n.j. and the economy actually took a hit. I wont say that it affected all of n.j.'s economy permanently but the fact that one person one person leaving can damage
a state's economy. Wealth should never be concentrated to the point a handfulof individuals have that amount of power/influence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City