Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 09:31 AM

5,464 posts, read 5,710,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
That's a failure type mindset. Look for other failing states to justify your own failure.

BTW, we are talking about NYC's problems here. Illinois and NJ incompetence does not mean NYC is competent.
You said, and I quote,
Quote:
NYC is a leader in one category: government waste and government incompetence.
Again, NYC is not the leader in those categories. I don't even know if its top10, its just an average mediocre-run state. I just gave 2 examples of other states who are ran even worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 09:33 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,225,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
You said, and I quote,

Again, NYC is not the leader in those categories. I don't even know if its top10, its just an average mediocre-run state. I just gave 2 examples of other states who are ran even worse.
NYC is not a state.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:35 AM

5,464 posts, read 5,710,417 times
Quote:
NYC is not a state.
I am sorry I mean NYS. If you are talking about NYC, there is no way its a badly run city. Not even in the top100. For one, NYC actually has budget surpluses... and while the proccess is slow, NYC is making a lot of right decisions. Upgrading infrastructure, building more housing, redeveloping areas, etc. Outside of Washington DC, its probably the best-run city out of the older bigger cities imo. I think you are projecting your reality on others, New Jersey is so dysfunctional it doesn't have a single well-run city outside of Jersey City.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
I am sorry I mean NYS. If you are talking about NYC, there is no way its a badly run city. Not even in the top100. For one, NYC actually has budget surpluses... and while the proccess is slow, NYC is making a lot of right decisions. Upgrading infrastructure, building more housing, redeveloping areas, etc. Outside of Washington DC, its probably the best-run city out of the older bigger cities imo.
Budget surpluses is also a product of a healthy economy, which is currently bolstered by real estate and tourism. When the economy stumbles (and it will at some point. BTW, even real estate is slowing considerably down recently) that surplus will go poof, especially if the liberal democrats running the city continue with their high spending habits.

This also points to my comments about the government being myopic. NYC infrastructure is aging. Its economy is based on the financial sector, tourism and real estate. It is vulnerable if any of those sectors leaves or declines. What is it doing to attract other sectors? High cost of living, high cost to do business, high taxes, overregulation, public employee pensions, climate change/sea level rise, etc.

Looking at short term budget surpluses is misleading because NYC has very big long term problems.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:52 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
NYC already has lost a lot of prestige in terms of a place to do business. There were 140 Fortune 500 companies headquartered in NYC in 1956. That number fell to 98 by 1974 and has fallen further still to 47 as of 2011.

Trump and Bloomberg are old money. The newest billionaires are in tech and are mostly based on the west coast.

There are very few industries NYC is a leader of. Education? Nope. Bio? Nope. Tech? Nope.
Columbia is ranked number 4 or number three in universities. All of the major tech companies have NYC offices and substantial operations. Amazon, Facebook, Google, Microsoft, IBM, etc. All of the major communication companies have NYC officers and substantial operations. In addition to being the financial capital, NYC is the media capital. So companies have major operations here to do business with the bankers and the advertisers, among other reasons. West Coast multimillionaires and billionaires maintain residences in NYC.

Old 01-23-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
That's a failure type mindset. Look for other failing states to justify your own failure.

BTW, we are talking about NYC's problems here. Illinois and NJ incompetence does not mean NYC is competent.

Read my first post. I clearly laid out that the middle is leaving, with only the top and bottom staying put, for now. I keep on reminding people arguing with me to read but they never do!

As for all these wealthy tech people having second, third or possibly their 80th home here in NYC, only means that NYC real estate is still healthy, for now. I never said anything to the contrary. Again, read and understand first.
That invalidates your claim the wealthy would flee. In terms of prime NYC locations, the opposite has happened. Areas that were once poor neighborhoods have become super expensive. LES, Hells Kitchen, Upper West Side, Chelsea, Downtown Brooklyn, Williamsburg, LIC, Astoria, etc. The number of wealthy neighborhoods expanded.

But at the same time of course gentrification didn't get rid of NYC's poor. The city has a surplus of hotels, and now these hotels are becoming housing for the homeless.

Since you spoke about West Coast billionaires, in California hotels are being converted to homeless housing as well. Not just in SF and SJ, but in Los Angeles itself.
San Francisco leases old hotel to house the homeless

San Jose to Convert Vacant Plaza Hotel into Homeless Shelter | San Jose Inside

and

L.A. will convert motel units to 500 apartments for homeless vets - LA Times

Even abandoned hospitals are being converted into housing for homeless.
Lancaster Pushes to Reuse Abandoned Hospital For Homeless Shelter | NBC Southern California

and

LA To Turn Old Motels, Hospitals Into 500 Apartments For Homeless Vets | The Huffington Post

So I am posting this to show that the hotel conversion to homeless housing is NOT just a NYC as a certain poster claimed, it is happening on the West Coast and in other major cities as well. Gentrified cities became extremely expensive and now have a surplus of hotels, and some other abandoned properties. Being forced to deal with the homeless crisis, they are now being forced to build more low income housing. This is true of NYC, SF, LA, DC, etc.

Again gentrification does not rid a city of the poor, it merely shifts around where they live.

Old 01-23-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Columbia is ranked number 4 or number three in universities. All of the major tech companies have NYC offices and substantial operations. Amazon, Facebook, Google, Microsoft, IBM, etc. All of the major communication companies have NYC officers and substantial operations. In addition to being the financial capital, NYC is the media capital. So companies have major operations here to do business with the bankers and the advertisers, among other reasons. West Coast multimillionaires and billionaires maintain residences in NYC.
Large, multinational corporations have offices all over the world. Fact is, California/Seattle is where the tech world is at, not NYC.

The financial industry is now mostly electronic, so there will be a less and less of need to be based out of NY. Financial companies leaving Wall Street for JC and Stamford.

NYC used to be the absolute leader in media (TV, newspaper, magazine) but even that is now eroded as online media, which can be based anywhere, is gaining marketshare. NBC bought by Comcast, a Philly company. Time-Warner being bought out by AT&T, a Texas company. ABC now a part of Disney, a California company.

Old 01-23-2017, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
That invalidates your claim the wealthy would flee. In terms of prime NYC locations, the opposite has happened. Areas that were once poor neighborhoods have become super expensive. LES, Hells Kitchen, Upper West Side, Chelsea, Downtown Brooklyn, Williamsburg, LIC, Astoria, etc. The number of wealthy neighborhoods expanded.
Once again, read what I said. I said the middle is leaving. The top and bottom is staying put, for now.

Quote:
But at the same time of course gentrification didn't get rid of NYC's poor. The city has a surplus of hotels, and now these hotels are becoming housing for the homeless.

Since you spoke about West Coast billionaires, in California hotels are being converted to homeless housing as well. Not just in SF and SJ, but in Los Angeles itself.
San Francisco leases old hotel to house the homeless

San Jose to Convert Vacant Plaza Hotel into Homeless Shelter | San Jose Inside

and

L.A. will convert motel units to 500 apartments for homeless vets - LA Times

Even abandoned hospitals are being converted into housing for homeless.
Lancaster Pushes to Reuse Abandoned Hospital For Homeless Shelter | NBC Southern California

and

LA To Turn Old Motels, Hospitals Into 500 Apartments For Homeless Vets | The Huffington Post

So I am posting this to show that the hotel conversion to homeless housing is NOT just a NYC as a certain poster claimed, it is happening on the West Coast and in other major cities as well. Gentrified cities became extremely expensive and now have a surplus of hotels, and some other abandoned properties. Being forced to deal with the homeless crisis, they are now being forced to build more low income housing. This is true of NYC, SF, LA, DC, etc.

Again gentrification does not rid a city of the poor, it merely shifts around where they live.
Okay? California is trying to house their homeless. What does that have to do with what I said about NYC?

Old 01-23-2017, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Large, multinational corporations have offices all over the world. Fact is, California/Seattle is where the tech world is at, not NYC.

The financial industry is now mostly electronic, so there will be a less and less of need to be based out of NY. Financial companies leaving Wall Street for JC and Stamford.

NYC used to be the absolute leader in media (TV, newspaper, magazine) but even that is now eroded as online media, which can be based anywhere, is gaining marketshare. NBC bought by Comcast, a Philly company. Time-Warner being bought out by AT&T, a Texas company. ABC now a part of Disney, a California company.
AT&T and Disney have substantial NYC operations. Where a company has it's legal headquarters doesn't really matter.

No financial company has absolutely left NYC, btw. Though certainly operations can and are done all over the world. But there's no major bank that doesn't have a significant NYC presence, regardless of where this happened.

Your post sadly has more to do with your personal bitterness about your own inability to make it in NYC, so your convince yourself all the companies and all the money is going to leave NYC. I've heard that argument my entire life, and it still has no happened.

Old 01-23-2017, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Once again, read what I said. I said the middle is leaving. The top and bottom is staying put, for now.

Okay? California is trying to house their homeless. What does that have to do with what I said about NYC?
NYC housing it's homeless put you into this mad rant, but the same issues are happening in other major, expensive cities.

Or do you claim wealthy people are now going to leave every expensive city? Every expensive city has a substantial percentage of poor people. Every expensive city is having to deal with the homeless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City