Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 05:23 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,443,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
Amazon Go stores may solve the long line issue when you can shop with your smart phone and leave without going through a check out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrmMk1Myrxc

However, it might still be awhile before we see these stores. Amazon Go isn't coming to a corner near you
I emailed them on that and they said it should be up in running in early part of this year.also remember this about amazon they say one thing and will do another thing that store is a testing set up and they are going to kill some of the mom and pop local stores that are the ones who over charge on everything and it will be there downfall because of how they do business
We told that amazon was not building support center there in Phoenix and next thing you know ther seven diff warehouse sets run by them that one area plus they are extend even more in the area
So remember that they have said a few times that they are not building something and less than a year the thing is built and running
They are not a foolish company when comes to doing long term plans plus you know yourself tha amazon would make a killing this city if they put one in or a couple in
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2017, 05:53 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,313,805 times
All you so-called "progressives" should be ashamed with yourselves with your online shopping addictions. Shop local.

Old 01-27-2017, 05:58 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,443,209 times
I try to shop local but as it seam there one thing or another thing I want that can not be found local so amazon or jet i go

Old 01-27-2017, 06:17 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,313,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry1 View Post
I try to shop local but as it seam there one thing or another thing I want that can not be found local so amazon or jet i go
And the more you all keep shopping online, the less likely you'll find those goods locally. Me personally, I find a lot hidden on physical shelves still that I can't find online.

Take the marketplace back to society.

Old 01-27-2017, 07:23 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
And the more you all keep shopping online, the less likely you'll find those goods locally. Me personally, I find a lot hidden on physical shelves still that I can't find online.

Take the marketplace back to society.
And the good thing about living in some parts of NYC is that this is true especially in ethnic stores where the market isn't big enough for Amazon to target. And some items are almost impossible for them to stock. I doubt Amazon will ever stock the live tilapia that I buy at Chinese supermarkets for about 3.50 per lbs which is probably cheaper than the unfresh frozen imports that they can sell. It's not like they'll live stream the fish tanks and let you choose which fish you want. Supermarkets like wholefoods and trader joes on the other hand they can wipe out.

Old 01-27-2017, 07:37 AM

983 posts, read 725,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
All you so-called "progressives" should be ashamed with yourselves with your online shopping addictions. Shop local.
That would be going against the current.

The more people buy online, the less people goes to small stores, the higher their prices need to be to compensate. Also they can't stock with a large variety of products (because they can't keep them on the shelves for ever).
When that happens, people get tired of not finding their products on the shelves and of paying more than online.

It's a vicious (or not) cycle. Nobody can stop it UNLESS they even out the table a little by considering what amazon is doing monopoly practices.

Old 01-27-2017, 07:54 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpepelepeu View Post
That would be going against the current.

The more people buy online, the less people goes to small stores, the higher their prices need to be to compensate. Also they can't stock with a large variety of products (because they can't keep them on the shelves for ever).
When that happens, people get tired of not finding their products on the shelves and of paying more than online.

It's a vicious (or not) cycle. Nobody can stop it UNLESS they even out the table a little by considering what amazon is doing monopoly practices.
Amazon isn't a monopoly. It's simply more convenient, and the society is changing it's buying preferences.

But there are other online retailers that people buy from as well.

Old 01-27-2017, 08:03 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
And the good thing about living in some parts of NYC is that this is true especially in ethnic stores where the market isn't big enough for Amazon to target. And some items are almost impossible for them to stock. I doubt Amazon will ever stock the live tilapia that I buy at Chinese supermarkets for about 3.50 per lbs which is probably cheaper than the unfresh frozen imports that they can sell. It's not like they'll live stream the fish tanks and let you choose which fish you want. Supermarkets like wholefoods and trader joes on the other hand they can wipe out.
True for the ethnic food stores, or actually just ethnic stores and their specialized products. Though Amazon actually does stock some of this stuff, it may also be people in those communities may have relationships with those merchants that keep them coming back. Small businesses can do this if you have the right owner and the right employees.

Large retailers like Sears/K-Mart or Macy's have no real relationship with their customers, and the staff there are often rude and don't help you out. So no one would care if they go out of business. No one is really going to care if they obliterate Whole Foods (called Whole Paycheck, lol) or Trader Joes

Amazon just made a major push into grocery delivery. I don't think they are ready yet to completely hurt supermarkets, but that may change shortly. Amazon is buying it's own airplanes, and also hiring it's own people to deliver directly to homes so they don't have to deal with UPS or Fedex. When they have enough people in place to be able to deliver at precise times is when I think they will be more competitive with grocery stores.

Re: Whole Foods and Trader Joes were more unique years ago. Other grocery stores simply also adapted their whole grain products, or their no sugar or salt or low fat products. Their really isn't a need to go to them anymore to tell you the truth.

Old 01-27-2017, 08:13 AM

124 posts, read 190,889 times
As I mentioned a few months ago, I've started buying a lot from Walmart.com, even for basic household goods like toothpaste, shampoo, hair gel.

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...residents.html

Walmart.com & Amazom.com prices are better than Manhattan retail prices, and online shopping is more convenient.

Some brick & mortar stores will go away, but their spaces will be taken up by new ethnic restaurants, bars, clubs, gyms, etc.

Old 01-27-2017, 08:47 AM

983 posts, read 725,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normaldude View Post
but their spaces will be taken up by new ethnic restaurants, bars, clubs, gyms, etc.
Yeah, right.
How many ethnic restaurants, bars, clubs, gyms can there be in one city??
There are already 2 nail salons per block. They only survive because of the asian culture of nonstop work and "family business, all living in the same apartment".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: