Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 05:35 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times

Advertisements

One of the core architects of Mayor Bill de Blasio’s affordable housing plan announced her intention to step down from city government today—making her the third top city administrator do so since December.

De Blasio Housing Czar Becomes Latest Administration Official to Head for the Door
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2017, 05:47 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,856,184 times
Wow talk about a conflict of interests. S/he/xe goes from working for an affordable housing program to an industry/company (aka NYU) designed to ruin any concept of affordability? Special place in hell for that person.

Old 01-27-2017, 07:20 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
Wow talk about a conflict of interests. S/he/xe goes from working for an affordable housing program to an industry/company (aka NYU) designed to ruin any concept of affordability? Special place in hell for that person.
She used to work in the urban policy center at NYU, so she was a sensible fit for the job. She's returning now (don't know the reasons) and her track record in office has been trying to get affordable housing within the city. NYU hasn't been a great team player in a lot of senses, but what NYU itself does in terms of affordability for the neighborhoods it operates in is a drop in the affordable housing bucket compared to actual municipal policy. At some point, you should probably unclench your buttocks a bit and realize that the world and all that goes on isn't meant to shaft you.

Old 01-27-2017, 07:44 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,856,184 times
quote:
At some point, you should probably unclench your buttocks a bit and realize that the world and all that goes on isn't meant to shaft you.

HA! thank you for saying that in such a way. I agree with you. I have to get out of this city at some point. If you stay in one place long enough it WILL drive you bananas and you won't understand why or how you wound up there. I still think NYU expansion is gross though. It's a disgusting rich kid diploma mill and a way for greedy landlords to ejaculate the rent so high that anyone BUT rich NYU kids without the help of their parents can afford. that does not a nice city make, sorry.

so yes, BARF on NYU.

Old 01-27-2017, 09:57 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
One of the core architects of Mayor Bill de Blasio’s affordable housing plan announced her intention to step down from city government today—making her the third top city administrator do so since December.

De Blasio Housing Czar Becomes Latest Administration Official to Head for the Door
No wonder. Academia is full of overpaid losers and so is city government. Neither get anything of substance done.

Old 01-27-2017, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
quote:
At some point, you should probably unclench your buttocks a bit and realize that the world and all that goes on isn't meant to shaft you.

HA! thank you for saying that in such a way. I agree with you. I have to get out of this city at some point. If you stay in one place long enough it WILL drive you bananas and you won't understand why or how you wound up there. I still think NYU expansion is gross though. It's a disgusting rich kid diploma mill and a way for greedy landlords to ejaculate the rent so high that anyone BUT rich NYU kids without the help of their parents can afford. that does not a nice city make, sorry.

so yes, BARF on NYU.
Then leave. I also disagree with NYU's expansion terms, but I feel that a lot of the actual academics involved are unfortunately underpaid for what they can get elsewhere. There should be a restriction on how loans are given out, so that these colleges can't charge the arm and leg they do now. The basic thing is that they do so, because the current system allows them, too, and while it may have been an idea of rainy day funds initially, it's now a full-blown business and that's pretty screwed for the students.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
No wonder. Academia is full of overpaid losers and so is city government. Neither get anything of substance done.
Academia is actually full of underpaid losers who leave it for private firms. It's why the best of academia in the US often leave for private firms unless they really, really feel feel like there's some kind of greater end goal aside from money in the short term. The closest analogue I can draw is when teaching in schools below college were often relegated to women, because there were few job opportunities, so a lot of extremely talented people ended up in the system rather than elsewhere.

Old 01-27-2017, 11:53 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Then leave. I also disagree with NYU's expansion terms, but I feel that a lot of the actual academics involved are unfortunately underpaid for what they can get elsewhere. There should be a restriction on how loans are given out, so that these colleges can't charge the arm and leg they do now. The basic thing is that they do so, because the current system allows them, too, and while it may have been an idea of rainy day funds initially, it's now a full-blown business and that's pretty screwed for the students.

Academia is actually full of underpaid losers who leave it for private firms. It's why the best of academia in the US often leave for private firms unless they really, really feel feel like there's some kind of greater end goal aside from money in the short term. The closest analogue I can draw is when teaching in schools below college were often relegated to women, because there were few job opportunities, so a lot of extremely talented people ended up in the system rather than elsewhere.

You're agreeing with me then?
Those who leave academia are not in academia. Therefore, my comment doesn't pertain to them.
The best leave for a reason. If the best leave, guess who stays?

Those who stick around in academia for the duration of their careers are usually overpaid losers. Just like this woman.
Of course there are some great and productive academics but they are few and far between. Academia, at the higher levels, is a toxic pool.

Most everyone I've spoken to who has personal experience at the higher levels is of a similar mindset.
There's something about not actually having to show tangible results in your career that breeds an environment that is purely politics. Just like government work. Go figure.

Old 01-28-2017, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Those who leave academia are not in academia. Therefore, my comment doesn't pertain to them.

Those who stick around in academia for the duration of their careers are usually overpaid losers. Just like this woman.
Of course there are some great and productive academics but they are few and far between. Academia, at the higher levels, is a toxic pool.

Most everyone I've spoken to who has personal experience at the higher levels is of a similar mindset.
There's something about not actually having to show tangible results in your career that breeds an environment that is purely politics. Just like government work. Go figure.
There are two groups of people who stay: those who are incredibly driven in their field and have a found a way a way to thrive in their niche and those who can get temporary work and then get eventually cut out or pushed into administration. It's more likely the former, because those who go into administration generally have little to do with the course of study.

The toxic pool is more that there is a massive administration to researcher/teacher ratio. Those who stay really end up having to be obsessive about the subject to do so (or to have been so entrenched in the administration to have kept a teaching job which is less common depending on the school). It's true that the tenured professors are very unfortunately (for everyone else) those who played politics well, but the vast majority are adjuncts who do not get paid so well given their knowledge so take off to the private sector even if they are very talented teachers of their subjects. The issue is more that the correlation between talented teachers of their subject matters and commensurate salaries is incredibly loose and that there is a huge body of administrators that often seem unnecessary in the end.

Old 01-28-2017, 05:56 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:

People in academia aren't overpaid. Google's founders dropped out of a Phd program at Stanford. Phd's generally get fellowships of 20k-30k or so to teach or do research while taking classes. Obviously it's much better to found a huge company like Google than it is to stay in academia. In short, they are UNDERPAID and since there isn't much money in pursuing a PURELY academic path, a lot of talent leave academia.

Some departments in academia use adjuncts who have successful careers in the field. Professors at medical school, dental school, law school generally have successful careers in the field and they are just teaching for the fun of it. The same is true of film programs and other MFA programs.

Toni Morrison, a successful writer didn't need her professor job at Princeton. She did that for the fun of it.

Old 01-28-2017, 06:00 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post

No one is forced to attend any college, and it's up to them and to the lender to decide the terms of the loans. Though Obama started and Trump implemented accountability, meaning if programs are not producing graduates they will be ineligible for student loans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City