Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 01:37 AM

6 posts, read 5,975 times

Advertisements

Hi

In a couple of months me, my wife and our two sons 2 and 5 years old are relocating to NYC. I will be working at the LaGuardia and we still want to be close to the city. We dont want to have a car, so I will be commuteing to Laguardia. We are looking for a 2-3 bedroom apt. around $3000/month in an area where there is a lot of families, calm and resonably quiet. Due dilligence says that Astoria and Sunnyside meets our criteria. In sunnyside I realised that you want to be north of QB, are there any specific areas in Astoria that is better than others regarding what we are looking for? (Walkable, kids, quiet, schools
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2017, 06:14 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,242,990 times
Historically you'd want to avoid the area of Astoria closer to the river. These days I don't believe that is still the case as Astoria has become more desirable over the years. Astoria is your obvious first choice assuming you can find a place within budget.

I wouldn't write off any section of Sunnyside. South of Queens blvd is still perfectly fine. Maybe not as aesthetic as north of Queens blvd, but far from being considered as an undesirable place to live.

Also consider Jackson Heights, Woodside, Long Island City, Elmhurst, Rego Park, Forest Hills, Kew Gardens, Flushing, Briarwood, Maspeth, Middle Village, Glendale, and Ridgewood. I've listed these from more convenient of commute via mass transit to less so.

Keep in mind that Queens is called "the World's Borough" so to enjoy your stay here you need to embrace the multi-ethnic aspect that it has to offer. Its like no other place in this country.

Old 01-29-2017, 06:22 AM

43,303 posts, read 43,962,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post

Also consider Jackson Heights, Woodside, Long Island City, Elmhurst, Rego Park, Forest Hills, Kew Gardens, Flushing, Briarwood, Maspeth, Middle Village, Glendale, and Ridgewood. I've listed these from more convenient of commute via mass transit to less so.
Of the above Jackson Heights, Woodside, Long Island City, Elmhurst, Rego Park, Forest Hills, Rego Park and probably Flushing as well as Kew Gardens would still have convenient transit to La Guardia. Forest Hills also is known to have a good schools.

Old 01-30-2017, 02:01 AM

Ok, so please help me out here..
most desirable areas for families:
Jackson Heights: Historic District
sunnyside: North of Queens blvd
Woodside: ?
Astoria: north of astoria blvd (Ditmars area) between crescent and Steinway and Ditmars blvd in the north?

Old 01-30-2017, 02:23 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,591,977 times
I'd recommend the Ditmars section of Astoria. Getting to LGA without a car from many Queens areas will require transfers (Subway to Bus or Bus to Bus) while that area has the M60 SBS that goes straight to the Airport and runs well. Forest Hills and Rego Park are gorgeous and kid friendly as is Sunnyside. Both would involve using the subway (E/F for Forest Hills, 7 for Sunnyside) to 74th st/JH and then the Q70 to LGA. Don't discount Whitestone or Bayside either. Both would have buses to Flushing where you can connect to the Q48 to LGA and have excellent schools. The LIRR or bus-to-7 train is an option for when your family is looking for day trips to the city and is not bad at all.

Hope this helps and welcome to NYC! It really is the best place to raise children once you get the school situation settled

Old 01-30-2017, 03:05 AM

Rego Park seems very nice. Ill add that to my list
Any specific areas of Rego Park that is better suited for our situation than others?

Old 01-30-2017, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isac85 View Post
Ok, so please help me out here..
most desirable areas for families:
Jackson Heights: Historic District
sunnyside: North of Queens blvd
Woodside: ?
Astoria: north of astoria blvd (Ditmars area) between crescent and Steinway and Ditmars blvd in the north?
All these areas are on par with one another in terms of family friendliness.

Quote:
Any specific areas of Rego Park that is better suited for our situation than others?
Might as well add Forest Hills to the list as well. Forest Hills and Rego Park would have the best schools of the neighborhoods considered so far.

Old 01-30-2017, 06:13 AM

43,303 posts, read 43,962,894 times
Quote:
Areas within a few walking distance to Queens Blvd. are the best for public transportation options. One can use the local trains R/M to Roosevelt Avenue/74th Street to transfer to Q70 LTD bus. Also there is the local Q72 runs from the corner of Queens Blvd/Junction Avenue to LGA from Rego Park (which although local one doesn't need to transfer to the subway system).

Old 01-30-2017, 06:15 AM

15 posts, read 15,467 times
There's a shuttle bus that stops downstairs from 61st Street stop in Woodside on the 7 train on Roosevelt Avenue. That shuttle bus makes a few stops but will get you to LaGuardia quickly and runs pretty frequently. But you may consider parts of Woodside that is close by maybe closer to Queens Boulevard.

Old 01-30-2017, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Areas within a few walking distance to Queens Blvd. are the best for public transportation options. One can use the local trains R/M to Roosevelt Avenue/74th Street to transfer to Q70 LTD bus. Also there is the local Q72 runs from the corner of Queens Blvd/Junction Avenue to LGA from Rego Park (which although local one doesn't need to transfer to the subway system).
Although I'd agree that the closer to the train the better, but some might find that the parts further from the train to be more family friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City