Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 09:36 AM

14 posts, read 18,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by high iron View Post
My wife and I lived one block east of Broadway from 2013-2015. In the end we were driven out of the neighborhood by the unbearable noise levels. The all-night domino games, the drunken hollering, the boom vehicles, and worst of all the motorcycle gang whose hangout was directly under our window. They used to sit there all night long gunning the engines on their bikes without actually driving off.

If you have no ears, it's a very nice neighborhood. I never had a fear of crime, although it exists. It's just too loud.
Do you mind sharing where east of broadway you were?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2017, 10:08 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldOfPug View Post
$1550
You will pay more West of Broadway for a reaaon. For an extra $200.00 or so a month, if you really are concerned about safety and quality of life, you'll move West of Broadway, regardless of how it seems on one visit East of Broadway. If you are going to commit, go during different times of the day and on weekends. That is the real test, and preferably during the summertime when more people will be out. Even West of Broadway I would find out as much as possible beforehand about the building regarding amenities, safety, quietness and so on. You want to make sure tenants are properly vetted and have the means (legally) to afford living there if you catch my drift.

Old 01-29-2017, 10:13 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,049,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldOfPug View Post
Hello,

My wife and I are about to close a deal for a place east of Broadway on Isham off the 207 A train. The place is 549 Isham.

I know that the general rule of thumb is to stay west of Broadway. Although the place is only an avenue east of Broadway, did we make a mistake in choosing to reside in a "less safe" area?

Safety is the top criteria when picking a place because my wife is a small woman.

Any thoughts?

Also, is it normal that places in this area to not have an elevator and laundry in the building?
In your face drug dealing and loitering. Not even Brownsville, ENY, S. Bronx compare to the drug dealing culture in Eastern Inwood. On the bright side, you get to see how NYC was in the 80's.

Violent crime is not bad though, so thats a positive.

Old 01-29-2017, 10:23 AM

954 posts, read 939,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
In your face drug dealing and loitering. Not even Brownsville, ENY, S. Bronx compare to the drug dealing culture in Eastern Inwood. On the bright side, you get to see how NYC was in the 80's.

Violent crime is not bad though, so thats a positive.
That statement is priceless!

I didn't know that area was so bad, granted I don't know much about it at all.

Old 01-29-2017, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Principle Lewis View Post
That statement is priceless!

I didn't know that area was so bad, granted I don't know much about it at all.
2017:

Inwood Gang Bust: Dozens Accused of Trafficking Crack Cocaine on Vermilyea Avenue - Washington Heights, NY Patch

Quote:
The alleged gang turned Vermilyea Ave into a drug market that looked like "something out of the '80s," the NYPD's chief of detectives said.
2016:

Massive heroin ring bust in Inwood; $5M in drugs seized, 10 arrests | abc7ny.com
Quote:
A massive heroin ring was busted in Inwood resulting in more than $5 million in drugs seized and 10 arrests.
2014:

https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/201...-officials-say

Quote:
A Nagle Avenue street gang that dealt cocaine and other drugs around the clock was busted Thursday after more than a yearlong investigation, authorities said.

2013:

https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/201...wood-drug-bust

Quote:
Police officers seized more than $750,000 of heroin during an arrest in Inwood, the NYPD said.
2010:

https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/201...-dealing-drugs

Quote:
It was a large group of young people creating an intolerable situation for residents who live in the neighborhood," Special Narcotics Prosecutor Bridget Brennan told DNAinfo.

"The presence of drug dealers in your hallways is intimidating enough. ... With this action, we hope to bring some peace to the neighborhood and satisfaction to the residents who live there.â€

Old 01-29-2017, 10:50 AM

I'm telling everyone, Inwood is Wash Heights 80's without the murders. All those blocks Vermylea, Academy, Post, Sherman, Nagle north of W 193rd up to around W 215th (centered around Dyckman street) run 24 hr open air drug operations with walkie talkies, taking over building stoops and lobbies, gold chains etc . It is really a sight to see. God forbid if a new drug took over like crack did, and competition arose for drug, Inwood and the 34th precinct would easily have the highest murder rate in NYC.

Old 01-29-2017, 11:50 AM

34,096 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
I'm telling everyone, Inwood is Wash Heights 80's without the murders. All those blocks Vermylea, Academy, Post, Sherman, Nagle north of W 193rd up to around W 215th (centered around Dyckman street) run 24 hr open air drug operations with walkie talkies, taking over building stoops and lobbies, gold chains etc . It is really a sight to see. God forbid if a new drug took over like crack did, and competition arose for drug, Inwood and the 34th precinct would easily have the highest murder rate in NYC.
Its density contributes to the drug dealing. I don't think there is one single-family house east of Broadway to be found. It's all apartment buildings. And its never good when you mix high density with low income.

Here's an interesting question though, for all the drug dealing that goes on in Inwood, you would think it would be just as dangerous as WH was in the early 1990s, but it's not....probably never has been. I wonder why.

Those old tenement-style neighborhoods are starting to freak me out. Just read an article recently with some tenants having a severe rodent infestation in a building on 10th Avenue. Video on Youtube showed a subway-sized rat in somebody's apartment, and bedbugs galore in another apartment.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-29-2017, 12:01 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times
My question is who is buying all of the drugs? It can't all be concentrated in Inwood.

Old 01-29-2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Its density contributes to the drug dealing. I don't think there is one single-family house east of Broadway to be found. It's all apartment buildings. And its never good when you mix high density with low income.

Here's an interesting question though, for all the drug dealing that goes on in Inwood, you would think it would be just as dangerous as WH was in the early 1990s, but it's not....probably never has been. I wonder why.

Those old tenement-style neighborhoods are starting to freak me out. Just read an article recently with some tenants having a severe rodent infestation in a building on 10th Avenue. Video on Youtube showed a subway-sized rat in somebody's apartment, and bedbugs galore in another apartment.
Yup its so dense. Rows and rows of apartment buildings.

My theory as to why it doesn't have the high crime rate that its southern neighbor Wash heights had in the 80's and 90's is that there is no competition between the drug organizations. Drug gangs are not trying to take over the other guy's turf. So in a way the drug gangs of Inwood are either related in some way (same supplier etc) or they just recognize each others blocks, sort of a mutual understanding. It is that understanding that allows them to coexist. Back during the crack era, most of the murders came about because all the drug gangs were greedy and tried to take over another block by any means possible.

It is also my theory as to why Inwood seems to be more of a drug market then Wash Heights is that Inwood was not targeted by NYPD/DEA as much as Harlem and Washington Heights were in the 80's/90's. There were constant operations in Wash Heights in the W 160's (TNT etc ) and West Harlem (blocks of Broadway 140's, 150's etc) to remove the drug element, as those blocks were way worse than anything in Inwood. So in my opinion, this pushed the drug dealing northward, were it wasn't as "hot", and that is why we have the problem in Inwood now.

Old 01-29-2017, 02:33 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,856,184 times
Inwood supplies all the drugs to north jersey, no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City