Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2017, 06:48 PM

2 posts, read 740 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

Recently there has been a lot of new construction in my neighborhood and I am considering rebuilding my home. Does anyone have any experiences, advice or resources they can share to help me get started with this process? A few things that would be particularly helpful are: Home builder recommendations, advice on funding, key stakeholders I'll need to hire and pitfalls to be aware of. Many thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2017, 10:59 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,150,696 times
this is a big job, Are you rebuilding from scratch or remodel with maybe an addition?

For funding, there is a remodel/construction loan, usually for 15 years.

I have seen remodels on the lower budget, a licensed Private Contractor will deal with logistics and will tell you what permits are needed, He may have a team , and add sub contractors where needed, maybe use laborers for demolition, flooring, drywall, concrete or paver work. Items like electrical or plumbing need to be left to professionals. $40000 and up for a good remodel sounds right, should cover bathrooms, kitchens,drywall, flooring, electrical upgrades, maybe some windows. all dependent on needs.

Watch your money though, never pay a large chunk up front, people do get taken for a ride. have every thing in writing, check their license, set up a pay schedule no matter what. If you can find an established company, with an actual office, and a business history, it would be better for you.

As for building from scratch, you need to speak with current builders, and take the information down from their postings at the job site, these could be good leads to start. expect to spend $400000 and up for a 3 story brick building, with apartments, of what I have heard.

Old 02-08-2017, 05:22 AM

2 posts, read 740 times
Thanks for the response Kap. This was very helpful. I'm looking to build from scratch, which will also include a demolition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City