Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2017, 10:21 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,236,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestJess View Post
If only you'd really stop posting! Pathetic bully. It's not any fun to be abused online, is it?
If anybody has any questions, please check out the board for the 461 Dean St. apartment lottery.
I'm still up and I like entertainment before bed, I'll bite
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2017, 09:22 AM

738 posts, read 585,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCardSteve1 View Post
Tomorrow should be good.

Problem with Sun. is many of the redemption centers are closed. It's is good for beer cans from Sat. night.

I picked up about 110 yesterday with not much effort.

Old 04-03-2017, 05:41 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,886,113 times
$5 gets you some pizza.

Old 04-14-2017, 08:28 AM

Yesterday was disappointing. I walked all over the place for 104 bottles. My usual haunts were dried up.

Oh, for a job. Any job.

Old 04-14-2017, 08:37 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,973 times
At times I know I have left an empty can or recyclable plastic bottle conspicuously on top of a garbage can or in an out of the way corner knowing somebody would come collect it.

Old 04-14-2017, 09:04 AM

I work the gas stations on Atlantic Ave, and the trash cans on Fulton.

Manhattan is so much better.

Old 04-14-2017, 11:48 AM

Maybe I'll saddle up and walk to Bryant Park tomorrow. It's about 6 miles. Good picking, though.

Old 04-17-2017, 08:51 AM

Default Where is the sun they promised?

Agghh. Rain stinks.

Old 04-18-2017, 12:29 PM

881 posts, read 615,410 times
Hey, Steve,

I was following this thread when it was only like three pages, then things got busy with work and so forth and I haven't read through the rest of the posts since then 'til now -- but I've always had this question (and forgive me if you'd answered it somewhere already): why not just get a regular job??

I'm also in the shelter, at one of them places run by some anonymous non-profit which lists no real information on who they really are on their website (can't believe there hasn't been some kinda exposé in the NYT already on this industry, the "Poverty Industrial Complex" or PIM as I call it), and one thing I'm puzzled by my fellow residents is why they don't just get regular jobs. Okay, so a lot of them aren't the brightest folks, but still, not a lot of jobs require any real smarts...I can't imagine spending all that time for the few dollars being worthwhile. You seem like an intelligent enough and articulate enough fellow -- why collect cans?? This is a serious question and forgive me if it's offensive but I'm genuinely curious.

Old 04-19-2017, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomelessLoser View Post
Hey, Steve,

I was following this thread when it was only like three pages, then things got busy with work and so forth and I haven't read through the rest of the posts since then 'til now -- but I've always had this question (and forgive me if you'd answered it somewhere already): why not just get a regular job??

I'm also in the shelter, at one of them places run by some anonymous non-profit which lists no real information on who they really are on their website (can't believe there hasn't been some kinda exposé in the NYT already on this industry, the "Poverty Industrial Complex" or PIM as I call it), and one thing I'm puzzled by my fellow residents is why they don't just get regular jobs. Okay, so a lot of them aren't the brightest folks, but still, not a lot of jobs require any real smarts...I can't imagine spending all that time for the few dollars being worthwhile. You seem like an intelligent enough and articulate enough fellow -- why collect cans?? This is a serious question and forgive me if it's offensive but I'm genuinely curious.

I look, every day. I apply for everything that is remotely suitable. I suppose I could work fast food or something. I'm really not eligible for SSI. I want to work, aside from the money having nothing useful to do leaves a huge void in my life.

I'm going to an info session at stnicksalliance.org at 790 B'way in Bklyn later today to sign up for an environmental training program. I'd be happy to clean up asbestos.

I'm at the exact same sort of shelter. I too think there should be some kind of expose. There's another guy who has a similar story there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City