Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 12:59 PM

2,465 posts, read 2,762,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCardSteve1 View Post
Life on the street...I banged my head and wound up in the hospital for 18 days.

I have a subdural hematoma. I'm still not better. Not sure I ever will be.

Back to begging. I'd love to work but I'm not up to much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
He said he'd rather WORK. He didn't say anything about begging.
Please the above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2017, 01:01 PM

881 posts, read 615,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCardSteve1 View Post
Possibly. I'd really rather work.
Hello Again, Steve. Sorry to hear that you're in worse shape now.

Just as an FYI, you can still work while on Disability. In fact, it seems like a lot of the folks do! Whether holding doors or collecting cans or doing off-the-books gigs, it's not only possible.

In a WaPo article over the summer, folks in Appalachia on Disability still collect wild mushrooms and such to be sold to the local dealer (I'm not talking drugs here but honest-to-goodness foraging of wild berries or something, whatever).

Old 11-20-2017, 01:05 PM

881 posts, read 615,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
It's hard to get on SSDI and can take months. You can expect to be turned down the first time you apply and you have to appeal and you need someone medical on your side to push and write letters and fill out forms using the proper buzzwords and codes. But since it's a steady income, it can help with housing, so it's worth finding someone in the hospital system willing to help. Don't give up, Steve. Any foot in any door is something.
I have met so many folks in the shelter system who are on some government income or other (I don't mean food stamps but SSI/SSD/whatever), including relatively thirty/forty-something guys and even outright tweenagers...don't know how they do it as there's no doubt in my mind that had they no such government income they would absolutely find a job to make money. One big dude, who used to be a bouncer, has got housing and income for "anxiety!" Another kid who's pursuing a songwriting career gets seven-hundred-something a month.

Seems like these folks are consigning themselves to a life of poverty since you can't really work for real unless you do off-the-books stuff which almost always are low paying....

Sometimes I think a bit of GEN Patton slappin' malingers is what's needed!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City