Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 09:00 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times

Advertisements

That list is complexly bogus bull***t put together by real estate salesmen and a magazine so far to the right that it should have a swastika on its masthead. Only in that scenario could some of these 79 towns make the "better-than-NYC list, perhaps because many are for bible thumping neo-cons and their KKK brethren.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2017, 09:10 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
That list is complexly bogus bull***t put together by real estate salesmen and a magazine so far to the right that it should have a swastika on its masthead. Only in that scenario could some of these 79 towns make the "better-than-NYC list, perhaps because many are for bible thumping neo-cons and their KKK brethren.
I remember a decade ago. Nyc was the number one place in America for millennial suburban Americans to move to. I'm going to look for the article, I think it was published in 2009. Things such as trends can change in due time. It's nice and all getting a 60k thousand job straight out of college. But when you add taxes, college tuition, that will eat up a good portion of pay. This will also affect ones living quarters and one wonders why so many are doing the roommate situation. At the end of the day, for some Americans in NYC, this type of lifestyle is not worth it. But for folks it's completely worth it which will seems odd for majority of Americans and even long time native New Yorkers. Some people don't mind being conned and suckered up the butt hole.

http://nymag.com/news/features/56013/

Old 02-15-2017, 10:13 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,915,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I am not being snarky when I ask why you don't just DO it...MOVE to Austin. A cold February is the perfect time.
My job is not going to move with me.

Old 02-16-2017, 05:46 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
This list is getting a lot of play on various state forums. Basicaly, cities move up and down the lists by the tens-of-spots on a year to year basis. Essentially every time they compile one of these lists they change or reweight the criteria making them effectively arbitrary.

"Hmm let's see... Lets make access to fresh corn on the cob, roasted on hibachi grills on every street corner worth 30 points."
"World class museums? So yesterday. Only 1 point this time around."
"You know what's great? Free parking. All great cities have ample free parking, 50 points"
"And pony rides! 100 points!"

Proximity to Two-Step bar: 80 points... 10 points extra for "Ladies Night."
Number of pickup trucks per capita: 100 points
Affordability of methamphetamine: 90 points
World class orchestra: 2 points
Ballet companies: 0 points each

Old 02-16-2017, 08:26 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,356,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
This is the reason why if I was mayor, I would push for tax breaks for city employees that reside within the five boroughs, and will receive bonus points on promotional exams just by living within city limits vs a city employee who lives outside of the city who cant qualify for such perks. I think if the city had more affordable purchase options for city employees, their would be less and less employees moving 2 hours for tranquility.

Why all the deals for city employees? I am a licensed health care professional and most city employees I know make more than I do. I know someone working in the water treatment plant clearing 100K+. So he should get a tax break and I shouldn't? Yeah, no.

Old 02-16-2017, 08:38 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Why all the deals for city employees? I am a licensed health care professional and most city employees I know make more than I do. I know someone working in the water treatment plant clearing 100K+. So he should get a tax break and I shouldn't? Yeah, no.
Absolutely, if anything make it a hard requirement that you need to reside in NYC permanently if you wish to remain employed. If you don't like it then bye bye, there's another hundred thousand waiting for your job.

Old 02-16-2017, 02:26 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
Absolutely, if anything make it a hard requirement that you need to reside in NYC permanently if you wish to remain employed. If you don't like it then bye bye, there's another hundred thousand waiting for your job.
How are they going to enforce this? Particularly when you deal that a spouse could purchase a home in the non city employees name, or that some people live with family members. Rules are made to be broken, and unnecessarily creating silly rules just means that people will find ways to either break them or take the foolish law to court and have it declared unconstitutional.

Old 02-16-2017, 05:03 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
...and this is coming from someone in Newark, New Jersey? Hell, I don't even have to look close to see, smell, or hear the trash from that decrepit excuse for a city. But I'm sure you live on one the sixteen or so blocks that are actually nice.
I think there's only 12 or 13 actually.

Newark NJ makes no pretense about being a "great place to live" though. Everybody knows it's a toilet and isn't trying to fool anybody about that.

Old 02-16-2017, 07:33 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,557,200 times
...what do u expect I've seen worse where NYC was ranked 144 out of 155

No job growth, tight competition due to overpopulation AND idiot out of state transplants
Oh n the kickers NYers on avg spend 59% of their household income on rent.
Go into Manhattan ppl spend double for everything and avg home in NYC 1m+
We all knew, but city no the ****ing state not affordable anymore yes I mean All the boroughs

Live in Queens 59% rent
Live in Brooklyn 59%
Bronx 59%
etc.

Like I aid many years ago when I was more active on this forum, only pp; living it up in NYC are the filthy rich. The rest still doing 9-5 or 9-8 + weekends and still don't make enough to combat the rising costs of well everything. $5 ****ing dollars for 12oz pack of frozen blue berries that'll only last 2-3 acai bowls.

WTF austerity scam **** economics credit my ass

Old 02-16-2017, 07:38 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,855,671 times
I'm laughing (crying) because I too pay about 59% of my income on rent :/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City