Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 07:13 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times

Advertisements

I don't like Ikea. All of my stuff from there has been junk.

I bought a dining table from Raymour & Flanigan. I wouldn't recommend it. Unfortunately, they had the EXACT table I wanted in terms of specifications that I couldn't really find anywhere else.

My couch was from Macy's. It's all right. I bought it because I wanted a modular sectional knowing that I might be moving at some point. If you find something from there, ask someone working there for a Friends & Family discount. (Ask the salesperson.) I did go to the showroom (Queens?) It was less than 3K. I think next time I would avoid the leather though, because my cats unfortunately have put a lot of marks in it---not on purpose they don't scratch the furniture---but just by stretching, jumping, etc.

The only issue I've had with Pottery Barn is my bathroom cabinet. They have a lot of sales/coupons though so you can always keep an eye out for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2017, 09:08 AM

8,103 posts, read 6,745,378 times
Check out this joint;
ABC Carpet & Home - NYC Furniture, Home Decor, and Carpet Store

Old 02-19-2017, 12:03 PM

34,006 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larthur706 View Post
I'm moving soon and hoping to buy a new living room and dining room set but I'm having difficulty finding any decent furniture. Do you have any recommendations on stores that sell STURDY mid-century modern furniture? I have kids and need something that won't break down in a year or two.

I previously bought some furniture online at Overstock and Wayfair as well as locally at some crappy Third Ave furniture stores. (Everything fell apart w/in basically a year or 2)

Is Macy's furniture good? I'm hoping I can actually see the furniture in person.

Price point: Willing to spend up to $800-$900 for dining room set and 1.5k for sectional/sofa set.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Bobs is decent

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-19-2017, 07:07 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Jensen-Lewis on 6th. I have a nice desk and return from them and I only had to extend my mortgage by 5 years.

Old 02-19-2017, 11:24 PM

762 posts, read 1,749,529 times
BoConcept - great Danish design, sturdy, high-quality, not cheap. Beautiful stuff. There's a store on East 57th.

Also Carlyle makes custom sofas and sofa beds, not cheap either - but they have a showroom where they discount floor models. Again, very well-made stuff. Actually made just outside NYC!

You might like CB2 as well.

Last edited by citychik; 02-19-2017 at 11:34 PM..

Old 02-20-2017, 05:22 AM

782 posts, read 526,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I HATE Ikea's junk. All cheesy vinyl covered pressboard made to look like wood. Use IKEA for a pantry, but little else.
Yes, it is cheap, but cheap in every sense of the word.
Not everything at IKEA is particleboard. It has some lines that are solid wood and more sturdy. These are more expensive.

Old 02-20-2017, 06:42 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Bobs is decent

Not really.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:22 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,927,870 times
Raymour & Flanigan? There prices seem reasonable.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:29 AM

602 posts, read 1,263,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Bobs is decent
Bob's stuff falls apart in a few years as well, but probably longer than your 3rd Ave stuff. Probably not a bad place to check given your price range. You can do a $1.5k sectional there, but you'll get... a $1.5k sectional.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:31 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShayLove View Post
Raymour & Flanigan? There prices seem reasonable.
Yeah, shop there if you're on your death bed. Their furniture is so bland, boring and outdated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daaver View Post
Bob's stuff falls apart in a few years as well, but probably longer than your 3rd Ave stuff. Probably not a bad place to check given your price range. You can do a $1.5k sectional there, but you'll get... a $1.5k sectional.
My friend has a couch from Bob's furniture that they were trying to give it to us. After being invited over, we understood why they were giving it away for free. The springs were a mess in the pillows and killed my back. Supposedly they have a warranty and are getting a new one for free. More power to them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: