Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 09:37 PM

65 posts, read 74,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Vegas View Post
Yes - you literally said you are on a fixed income. NYWriterDude quoted you just a few posts above this, and you said exactly that! You know, I was going to comment about how rude NYWriterdude is, and I still will. NYWriterDude - why do you hate the disabled so much? You have absolutely no idea of how difficult and exhausting it is to suffer so badly. They are better people than you. And what do you have against those who suffer from mental illness?! The irony is that you, yourself, likely have a mental illness. Anyone who posts 5 or so times in a row without anyone posting in between shows signs of illness. I'm sorry that you or anyone have to suffer from that, and I hope you can find a treatment that helps (I mean this in the kindest way).

To the OP: As quoted above, you did say you were on a fixed income. I don't care if you do, but I do care about the inconsistency. It makes you seem not credible. Did you look at leasebreak.com for rents within your means? Probably not. Because your neighbors probably bang for a few seconds twice a day; not 5 hours straight. I'll tell you what...if I had someone bang a few hours straight, I would record it, go to the police station and file charges of harrassment. So would anyone else. Especially if I had a child. And I would not return to the apartment until they were removed.
Thank you so much for the website and I have used it and thanks to you, it was of benefit.
Fixed/low income does not = government assistance. Not everyone with low income gets assistance. Spouse works two jobs and we never applied for any help.

I did not read all posts here, but no..I do not hate the disabled or mentally ill. I have a disabled and mentally ill relative who is very dear to me. They are better people than me. I know how much they have endured in life and they deserve much better than what is being given. The poster was trying to make fun of people on government assistance, which I'm not. There's nothing wrong with people on government assistance and they should never be made fun of! It's so easy for people living comfortably to not know how much others below them suffer in life.

Anyway, my toddler and I are not living in my apartment. I left it and am living with relatives due to it not being livable from the constant pounding. Will only be returning to a new place.

UPDATE only for the people kind enough to care and have given me excellent advice and defended me.

My spouse had to file a police report yesterday because the neighbors were still doing the nonstop pounding. Do not know what will happen yet and am worried they might still harm us.
Will be moving to a place temporarily, in the beginning of May, which will be above our means, but we can't live like this.
Thank you only for the great people here that have helped me and have given me kind advice. God bless you.

Last edited by simmiella; 04-16-2017 at 10:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2017, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
So the OP doesn't even live in NYC!
Very funny! Yes, we were thinking of Louisville and ended up going to NYC. What's so strange about this???
Doesn't matter. You won't believe me anyway and I don't care.

Last edited by simmiella; 04-16-2017 at 10:00 PM..

Old 04-16-2017, 10:23 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,236,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmiella View Post
Very funny! Yes, we were thinking of Louisville and ended up going to NYC. What's so strange about this???
Doesn't matter. You won't believe me anyway and I don't care.
What neighborhood do you live in in NYC? This question has been asked many times and you have ignored answering it. We can't offer advice if we don't know what area you are in!!!

Old 04-17-2017, 03:48 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,901,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Somebody who works the night shift cannot rationally expect the daytime world to go quiet just to suit HIM.
Why not?

About a third of Americans work non-traditional hours (i.e., other than nine to five, Monday through Friday). Many of them work night shifts -- including hospital staff, doctors, emergency medics, police, firefighters.

If you have an emergency at 3 a.m., you expect doctors, police, whoever, to be there pronto -- fit and mentally alert -- ready to serve you. Not drowsy and unable to competently help you. Yet you begrudge them a restful sleep?

It's long past time for Americans to realize that many people work at night, and try to be quieter during the day.

Old 04-18-2017, 10:03 PM

54 posts, read 72,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
Why not?

About a third of Americans work non-traditional hours (i.e., other than nine to five, Monday through Friday). Many of them work night shifts -- including hospital staff, doctors, emergency medics, police, firefighters.

If you have an emergency at 3 a.m., you expect doctors, police, whoever, to be there pronto -- fit and mentally alert -- ready to serve you. Not drowsy and unable to competently help you. Yet you begrudge them a restful sleep?

It's long past time for Americans to realize that many people work at night, and try to be quieter during the day.
Yes! Thank you! Although I work daytime hours, I think it is so inconsiderate of people to assume that everyone should live according to their schedule. Or if I want to go to sleep before midnight on a weekend and a noisy neighbor argues that because it is a weekend, they are allowed to be noisy at all hours of the night.They can go to he11.

Old 04-18-2017, 10:06 PM

54 posts, read 72,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmiella View Post
Thank you so much for the website and I have used it and thanks to you, it was of benefit.
Fixed/low income does not = government assistance. Not everyone with low income gets assistance. Spouse works two jobs and we never applied for any help.

I did not read all posts here, but no..I do not hate the disabled or mentally ill. I have a disabled and mentally ill relative who is very dear to me. They are better people than me. I know how much they have endured in life and they deserve much better than what is being given. The poster was trying to make fun of people on government assistance, which I'm not. There's nothing wrong with people on government assistance and they should never be made fun of! It's so easy for people living comfortably to not know how much others below them suffer in life.

Anyway, my toddler and I are not living in my apartment. I left it and am living with relatives due to it not being livable from the constant pounding. Will only be returning to a new place.

UPDATE only for the people kind enough to care and have given me excellent advice and defended me.

My spouse had to file a police report yesterday because the neighbors were still doing the nonstop pounding. Do not know what will happen yet and am worried they might still harm us.
Will be moving to a place temporarily, in the beginning of May, which will be above our means, but we can't live like this.
Thank you only for the great people here that have helped me and have given me kind advice. God bless you.
I was addressing "NYWriterdude" in my comment asking why he despises those with disabilities.

I am glad to hear that you got out of that unsafe place and that your husband filed a police report. Good luck.

Old 04-21-2017, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post

My husband works at night. He doesn't expect the world to go quiet for him throughout the day. Ironically, he's been putting up with the upstairs neighbors' daily noises with no complaints all these years.
Those same neighbors seem like they have a football field over us every day during the summer.

Old 04-21-2017, 12:03 PM

I couldn't edit my previous post, but those neighbors have always let their child run up and down the stairs while hopping, which is directly on our wall, so we hear every stomp, even from the bedroom. This is also a shared hallway where it states in the lease that we shouldn't stay in hallways or let children stay in hallways or parking lot, which they constantly do and we never complained.

Update: Even after going to the police, they're still making nuisance noises and with a vengeance. My husband has to put up with it daily, but I can also hear it when I come to pack. They constantly drop heavy things where we're at, when they know someone's in the apartment and pound (lighter, so as it not becoming obvious if we bring a police officer to hear) and our apartment is vibrating constantly. This is what I was afraid and made me hesitant to call the police before. Now, we gained an enemy who could possibly locate us to our new place (current management has workers who are friends with those neighbors and have tried to cover up for them in the past). Our new place did contact management to ask about us, so the management must know where we'll be staying.

Last edited by simmiella; 04-21-2017 at 12:57 PM..

Old 04-21-2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Vegas View Post
I was addressing "NYWriterdude" in my comment asking why he despises those with disabilities.

I am glad to hear that you got out of that unsafe place and that your husband filed a police report. Good luck.
Thank you. Good luck to you, too.

Old 04-21-2017, 02:15 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,886,113 times
Really? Your neighbors are going to put a hit on you when you relocate to a new apartment? Paranoid much. If you move they'll be happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City