Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 07:27 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times

Advertisements

Put down rugs with thick pads and then forget about it.

It seems a bit weird that you have tried all these extreme methods (sitting with son for hours, etc.) but haven't accomplished the simplest solution, which is rugs with pads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2017, 09:27 AM

65 posts, read 74,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I remember as a child living in a 2nd floor apt. with the landlord in the apt. below. My mother made sure we were careful walking around the apt. so as not to disturb the people us. My younger brother was a toddler at the time. So the OP does need to find a suitable solution so as not disturb the tenants below them.
We are living below (not above) purposefully so as not to receive complaints, since we have a child. The structure of the building seems to make sounds louder than they really are. Even running sounds like big thuds.

Old 02-20-2017, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
You need to put more carpeting down. Also, I never heard of a toddler being up past 9 p.m. Maybe he's napping during the day too much?

Also, you can get those slipper socks for him that have the non skid surfaces.
Thanks for the info. He has sleep issues. Eight hours is more than enough sleep for him, and they're not necessarily in one stretch. He wakes up during night. Doc said some children are like that.

The structure of the apartment is that the kitchen stretches near the bathroom, and this part is not carpetted and cannot be carpetted, due to the tight space and asymmetrical layout. However I try to, he will be running on uncarpetted flooring due to the layout and he has to pass the kitchen to go to the bathroom.

Old 02-20-2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I can understand noise caused by a child running overhead but not a child running on the bottom floor. Screaming maybe, but not running.

Somebody who works the night shift cannot rationally expect the daytime world to go quiet just to suit HIM.
Thanks so much.

Old 02-20-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
@ the OP

If these people complaining about you are themselves noisy, then don't do anything to accommodate them until you tell them about the noise they are making AND they too have done something to fix that.

I believe respect is a two way street. Don't be nice to people that aren't nice back to you.
Thank you. Yes, they are noisy, especially in the summer where they hang out with other neighbors in the hallway (which is on front of my apartment door) late at night and their children running up and down the stairs and over to their apartment, which makes a louder sound than my toddler's little feet.

Old 02-20-2017, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
She said he's not a good sleeper. My kid was the same way. I remember reading that dumbass book, "What to Expect the First Year", saying kids will sleep 12 hours. My dd did not sleep through the night until she was three years old, and even then it was 7 hours, not 12. If she went to sleep at 9 p.m., she'd be up playing with her toys at 2 a.m. Not all children do what the "experts" say.
Thank you so much. His doctor said the same thing about my toddler.

Old 02-20-2017, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
There is no reason you cannot teach your child not to run anywhere but outside at a park or playground.
Even though he is 2 he should already know the meaning of the word no which should be used anytime he starts to run inside. Stop him, tell him no and do it every time he runs.
It does not matter what the neighbors do or who they are friends with, you are the family being complained about and you are the family that is affected by the complaints.
You should have your child checked by his Physician as well, it is generally not normal for a child so young to have sleep
issues. Also, when you put him to bed, put him to bed, teach him to stay there without you sitting for hours.
He cries because he knows you will sit there with him for hours.
I would urge you to make plans to find a single family home in the future as well. The complaints will not stop until one of you no longer lives in the apartment complex.
I tried the "no" whenever he runs. It doesn't work. He'd go sit and be up after a second. I tried time out. It never works. Besides, he's a toddler and running is normal at that age.

He knows how to get out of his bed. He'll just get up and run in the room, which will just make our neighbors even more mad, since its below their room. That, or he'll cry for hours.

Old 02-20-2017, 10:45 AM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmiella View Post
Thank you so much. His doctor said the same thing about my toddler.
I remenber telling the pediatrician, "She only sleeps 5 -7 hours at a time!" He laughed and said, "She just may not require much sleep." I said, "But I DO!"

Those first couple of years are kind of foggy in my memory.

Old 02-20-2017, 11:05 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmiella View Post
I tried the "no" whenever he runs. It doesn't work. He'd go sit and be up after a second. I tried time out. It never works. Besides, he's a toddler and running is normal at that age.

He knows how to get out of his bed. He'll just get up and run in the room, which will just make our neighbors even more mad, since its below their room. That, or he'll cry for hours.
BS, make it work,your the parent figure something out.

as a apartment building dweller myself, toddlers running around are freaking annoying.

you need carpeting with thick padding.
also, how does a tenant above hear your toddler running from above, im a little baffeled by that

but when your living in an apartment building, your not in a single family house

Old 02-20-2017, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I remenber telling the pediatrician, "She only sleeps 5 -7 hours at a time!" He laughed and said, "She just may not require much sleep." I said, "But I DO!"

Those first couple of years are kind of foggy in my memory.
Yes, his pediatrician said it's great that he even does sleep 8 hours because some toddlers don't even sleep that much during the night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City