Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 10:00 PM

54 posts, read 72,530 times

Advertisements

The thing that makes me wonder about the authenticity of this post is that the OP said that they actively looked at other apartments to move into but that the units aren't available for a few months. That's ridiculous. I just moved into an apartment last week, so am familiar with what the rental maket is like, and apartment management companies have so much inventory on the market that almost every building I visited was offering a month or two of free rent on a year lease. My building, alone, has 10 units available for immediate move-in. Also, no one bangs for 2 hours straight. There is a lot of hyperbole going on here.

If by some chance this is an authentic situation:
(1) go on Streeteasy website to find many rental listings
(2) call the agents to arrange showings
(3) choose an apartment that makes sense. Again, most are giving free rent on a lease - some even in the first month.
(4) move
(5) if landlord doesn't return your deposit or tries to charge a fee for breaking a lease, tell them that your apartment was uninhabitable and that you are the one who should take the landlord to court for moving expenses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2017, 05:29 AM

2,301 posts, read 1,890,758 times
Perhaps the op has rent stabilization or section 8 and don't want to share.

Old 04-09-2017, 05:41 AM

46 posts, read 63,947 times
Sounds like your neighbors think they own the place and that you should cater to their lifestyle. I don't think you've done anything wrong shouldn't let them get to you. Keep living your life how you see fit. Dont accommodate them because I'm sure they're not being quiet for your convenience. As long as you're not blasting music or yelling then it's not your problem. Worrying about unreasonable people will mess up your home life and make you miserable.

Old 04-10-2017, 11:04 AM

65 posts, read 74,780 times
Yes, believe it or not, we contacted every rental place (within our means and even a little above our means) to find n apartment, and they all have vacancies starting either June or July or don't have any. Only one had a vacancy for May and we can't start the application process until after the 15th of May. Also, they told us to call back because they'e not sure they'll even have a vacancy by that time. It was beyond our means, yet we're still looking into it.
Our own management didn't move us into this apartment until after a month and that was with a good connection at that time.
We even asked our management and they even don't have vacancies ( they have over 20 buildings). And every rental place is more than $200 above what we pay and we're still accepting.

Plus, there's a background check done after doing an application, which does take time. according to the rental companies.
All apartments we saw require a lease, with no free rent. We are WILLING to do this.
We are WILLING to move as soon as possible and are now packing to speed up the process, once any rental place does have vacancy.

We are even willing to move, regardless if we get deposit or not. We're that desperate. The apartment has become inhabitable.

If you were lucky enough to have the means and find a rental place right away, not everyone is that lucky.

As for calling the police, how safe would anyone feel living under someone they just called the cops about??
I have a toddler to think about and his well being comes before me and I don't want to risk it. What if something happens to us? What if they break into our apartment or cause harm to us or to our car? The neighbors look capable of doing such things. Things like that have happened before to other people.

Also. according to what I read from complaints in the renting forum here and from the management themselves, cops won't do anything other than show up and tell them to keep their noise down, no matter how many times we call. That won't stop someone from causing nuisance. They'll just have a reason to harm us more.

I wish things were that simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Vegas View Post
The thing that makes me wonder about the authenticity of this post is that the OP said that they actively looked at other apartments to move into but that the units aren't available for a few months. That's ridiculous. I just moved into an apartment last week, so am familiar with what the rental maket is like, and apartment management companies have so much inventory on the market that almost every building I visited was offering a month or two of free rent on a year lease. My building, alone, has 10 units available for immediate move-in. Also, no one bangs for 2 hours straight. There is a lot of hyperbole going on here.

If by some chance this is an authentic situation:
(1) go on Streeteasy website to find many rental listings
(2) call the agents to arrange showings
(3) choose an apartment that makes sense. Again, most are giving free rent on a lease - some even in the first month.
(4) move
(5) if landlord doesn't return your deposit or tries to charge a fee for breaking a lease, tell them that your apartment was uninhabitable and that you are the one who should take the landlord to court for moving expenses.

Last edited by simmiella; 04-10-2017 at 11:14 AM..

Old 04-10-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden22 View Post
Perhaps the op has rent stabilization or section 8 and don't want to share.
No, I don't have any section 8 or public housing. But, we have a fixed income and we can't rent anything above our means. In our price range and a little above, we aren't find any vacancies.

Old 04-10-2017, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
so then duh
whats the problem here?
move already.
We're actively seeking a place to rent,duh??? Why would I want to be stuck in an unsafe environment?
We're willing to move and spend lots of money we need on the moving process in order to be safe and live in a habitable environment.

Old 04-10-2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You say "we" in the OP, so I'm guessing there's a husband/child's father. So why is this all on you? What has he done to rectify the situation or assure your safety?

There are just things to this story that don't add up, and you know it. You can't blame people for asking the obvious, and your excuses for not calling the police are, frankly, lame and hollow. There's some other reason you don't want the police at your house.
I've stated in a previous post my fears of calling the police and escalating the matter into them physically harming me and my toddler.
My husband doing the calling will not change the fact that we can be harmed.

Old 04-10-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Vegas View Post
Also, no one bangs for 2 hours straight. There is a lot of hyperbole going on here.
I'm not making this up. They deliberately bang from 2 - 5 hours straight, alternating between living room and bedroom depending where we are. When it's not pounding (with a metal object), it's stomping back and forth with heels. It's scary how dedicated they are in doing this. Who has the time to do this, is what I keep wonder.
It's maddening. If they're capable of wasting all those hours in doing this, then they're capable of doing more. I feel like I live in a madhouse. We're stuck living like this until we find another place. If you were living under such an inhabitable environment, you'll flee, too, and go as far away as you can. That's why I had to leave with my toddler and stay with relatives for a while.

Old 04-10-2017, 11:45 AM

245 posts, read 197,964 times
Yeah no way.
I live on the first floor, have carpet, and had a toddler (He's 7 now). Now he's he yells at his XBOX and still runs.
My old neighbor WV would complain because he needed to meditate and it was too loud. He would leave nasty letters and complain to the board. He was a renter not even a shareholder. I only found out who it was because the board president is a family friend. I assumed it would be someone next to me not above.

We'll I started making extra noise. My adjacent neighbors were gone during the day. So I started playing music, vacuuming, practicing my guitar. Well I guess he came down stairs to say something but my S/O answered the door and I guess he never came back. Must of gotten intimated by a 6'6 large black male (even though he's very friendly).

He moved out and a new couple moved in. They make noise and we make noise. Its part of city living I'm used too. If they are having a party they leave me a note to let me know how long the noise will last since its after hours.

Old 04-10-2017, 11:47 AM

31,962 posts, read 27,101,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmiella View Post
I'm not making this up. They deliberately bang from 2 - 5 hours straight, alternating between living room and bedroom depending where we are. When it's not pounding (with a metal object), it's stomping back and forth with heels. It's scary how dedicated they are in doing this. Who has the time to do this, is what I keep wonder.
It's maddening. If they're capable of wasting all those hours in doing this, then they're capable of doing more. I feel like I live in a madhouse. We're stuck living like this until we find another place. If you were living under such an inhabitable environment, you'll flee, too, and go as far away as you can. That's why I had to leave with my toddler and stay with relatives for a while.

I'm sorry but it has to be said; no I nor many other native New Yorkers wouldn't *flee*. You've allowed yourself to be bullied and keep refusing any advice offered (going to court, seeking legal advice, etc...) and so forth for various reasons. Mostly one gathers because you "don't want to make trouble" or whatever.

You are being bullied, and a bully will continue until either they are knocked onto their behinds or otherwise are forcefully stopped.

You can either keep sitting in Pity Me Pines, or sort yourself out. Your landlord has a legal right to provide you with a safe living environment. You are being harassed continuously and obviously no one at that some kind of apartment management is doing anything about it. So either take matters into your own hands, and light a fire under them to do their jobs, or otherwise (again) sort out this situation.

Before it starts, please spare me the noble and suffering mother and wife bit. Scores of women in your situation have had similar issues in NYC going back decades if not hundreds of years. They managed to get the matter sorted out, and likely were given the same advice as you've gotten here from myself and others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City