Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2017, 05:05 PM

19,049 posts, read 13,964,273 times

Advertisements

See when you speak reasonably, I'll respond reasonably.

I'm in full agreement with you. Malcolm X was a big gun rights supporter, a fact that the NRA points out regularly. The Deomcrat Party specifically, has aligned itself with a rabid anti-gun faction for a multitude of reasons.

Firstly, it is much easier for the government to control a disarmed populace, and the Dems don't actually see the underclass the way they say they do, so of course they want them (re:everyone) disarmed.

Secondly, the Dem's anti-gun position polls well with those in urban settings who A) love reasons to disdain middle/white America and B) blame the NRA for the violence they see around them. Furthermore, when speaking to a segment of the population that has ZERO understanding of guns to begin with, sensational and incorrect terms such as "assault weapon", "high capacity" and "high power" resonate well and win votes.

If there's one aspect of racism I'll agree with you on, it's that gun control started as a way to disarm recently freed black slaves. It was taken to new heights in states like NY due to high numbers of unaccepted white immigrants such as the Irish and Italians. Period newspapers are full of references to "illicitly" armed wops and micks... look it up.

Even now, gun laws are heaviest in locations when black populations are higher, which means where poor, law-abiding blacks are most often victimized. The dems justify this disarmament by convincing those who suffer from it the most that:

A) their problem is in fact white people, not the criminals around them
B) crime is statistically worse in white, gun owning states (not true)
C) the government will save them
D) everything would be fine if the NRA would just stop ruining gun control

PS: I absolutely HATE democrats. My uncle whom I grew up very close to is a dem leftist and I tell him all the time that I love him and hate him at the same time and should the time come, he'd be my enemy. Sorry. But when you support anti-American, unconstitutional policies, you are the problem. You are my enemy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2017, 05:06 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,736,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
More racism

Outrage over food cart serving free food only for ‘black people’ | New York Post

A makeshift “black people”-only food cart caused plenty of indigestion Thursday in the Bronx, outraging onlookers who called the stunt racist.

A man and a woman set up the cart around 9 a.m. outside Bronx Supreme Court, advertising their free doughnuts and juice on Styrofoam plates.

Their three handmade signs read: “Free Food For Black People.”

Passersby weren’t amused.

“Are you kidding me? If I did something like that, it would be considered hate,” railed one woman, who was repeatedly denied any grub when she confronted the duo.
A young man running the cart also refused to serve a Post reporter. And the woman insisted the cart was not restricted to just African-Americans.

“Mexican people are black,” she offered.

The pair closed up shop around 10:30 a.m.
I'm confused. Who was being racist? The people with the cart, or the people offended by it?

Old 02-23-2017, 07:57 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post

I'm in full agreement with you. Malcolm X was a big gun rights supporter, a fact that the NRA points out regularly. The Deomcrat Party specifically, has aligned itself with a rabid anti-gun faction for a multitude of reasons.

Firstly, it is much easier for the government to control a disarmed populace, and the Dems don't actually see the underclass the way they say they do, so of course they want them (re:everyone) disarmed.

Secondly, the Dem's anti-gun position polls well with those in urban settings who A) love reasons to disdain middle/white America and B) blame the NRA for the violence they see around them. Furthermore, when speaking to a segment of the population that has ZERO understanding of guns to begin with, sensational and incorrect terms such as "assault weapon", "high capacity" and "high power" resonate well and win votes.

If there's one aspect of racism I'll agree with you on, it's that gun control started as a way to disarm recently freed black slaves. It was taken to new heights in states like NY due to high numbers of unaccepted white immigrants such as the Irish and Italians. Period newspapers are full of references to "illicitly" armed wops and micks... look it up.

Even now, gun laws are heaviest in locations when black populations are higher, which means where poor, law-abiding blacks are most often victimized. The dems justify this disarmament by convincing those who suffer from it the most that:

PS: I absolutely HATE democrats. My uncle whom I grew up very close to is a dem leftist and I tell him all the time that I love him and hate him at the same time and should the time come, he'd be my enemy. Sorry. But when you support anti-American, unconstitutional policies, you are the problem. You are my enemy.
Malcolm X believed in the right to bear arms, keeping governance structure as local as possible, never trust a protester of the white race, and always be skeptical of the media. Sound familiar? Or maybe unfamiliar? Depending on your views. Oh, and he also believed that no race should vote overwhelmingly for one party, else you were obviously being bought.

Old 02-23-2017, 08:49 PM

983 posts, read 932,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Malcolm X believed in the right to bear arms, keeping governance structure as local as possible, never trust a protester of the white race, and always be skeptical of the media. Sound familiar? Or maybe unfamiliar? Depending on your views. Oh, and he also believed that no race should vote overwhelmingly for one party, else you were obviously being bought.
Well, he wasn't wrong there...

Old 02-23-2017, 09:05 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Are snowflake, deplorable, middle American racist terms?

Old 02-24-2017, 05:07 AM

537 posts, read 457,037 times
Greetings, all: The thing that surprised me was when I learned that the race issue was regarded by some as being even more political than social. A number of Black conservatives do not take what some have called the "mainstream Black position" on issues like that of Trayvon Martin and Michael Brown (for example). Rather than feeling sympathetic toward these young men, they blamed them for their own demise, simply referring to them as thugs. They tell white people to wake up, and not fall for the tactic of being called racist, and being made to feel guilty for all that is wrong within the Black community.

I know that we have to look at each case honestly, and not just base our position on whether the individual is black or white. Many Black conservatives insist that racism does not exist today, and that most of the problems Black folks face today are their own fault. I agree that we can't just attribute everything to racism, but to say that it doesn't exist, I believe, is also irresponsible.

I have noticed some angry responses coming form some here who have otherwise interacted well with others on different threads (Black and White folks "getting along"). I hope that this doesn't become a situation where members of one race wind up hating all members of the other race. We are all individuals and not all racist. I realize that due to the position of white people in society, it is easier for them to be racist, but certainly not exclusively. Human nature goes deeper than that, and there is plenty of blame to go around. I see a lot of black and white folks interacting and getting along very well, and this is always such a joy to see. We certainly can benefit form one another's experiences and friendship. Thanks.

Old 02-24-2017, 10:05 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAA2310 View Post
Greetings, all: The thing that surprised me was when I learned that the race issue was regarded by some as being even more political than social. A number of Black conservatives do not take what some have called the "mainstream Black position" on issues like that of Trayvon Martin and Michael Brown (for example). Rather than feeling sympathetic toward these young men, they blamed them for their own demise, simply referring to them as thugs. They tell white people to wake up, and not fall for the tactic of being called racist, and being made to feel guilty for all that is wrong within the Black community.

I know that we have to look at each case honestly, and not just base our position on whether the individual is black or white. Many Black conservatives insist that racism does not exist today, and that most of the problems Black folks face today are their own fault. I agree that we can't just attribute everything to racism, but to say that it doesn't exist, I believe, is also irresponsible.

I have noticed some angry responses coming form some here who have otherwise interacted well with others on different threads (Black and White folks "getting along"). I hope that this doesn't become a situation where members of one race wind up hating all members of the other race. We are all individuals and not all racist. I realize that due to the position of white people in society, it is easier for them to be racist, but certainly not exclusively. Human nature goes deeper than that, and there is plenty of blame to go around. I see a lot of black and white folks interacting and getting along very well, and this is always such a joy to see. We certainly can benefit form one another's experiences and friendship. Thanks.
While of course different people feel differently, Black conservatives such as those who would support the current Republican form are likely not even a percentage of the Black population. It's the definition of tokenism, just ONE or TWO people, or a percentage so small that it isn't statistically significant.

Problems with the people have happened to people in most Black families, and mass incarceration has touched the majority of Black people in some way or another. It doesn't mean each individual has been imprisoned, but within their circle of family or friends there will certainly have been people who had police encounters.

Old 02-24-2017, 10:22 AM

1,015 posts, read 1,197,063 times
Black conservatives, the few that there are, tend to be members of the ruling class, or at least are very wealthy. Since the white power structure has benefited them economically they are willing to ignore the racism they experience in their own lives and write it off.

It is the classic case of the house slave on the plantations. The house slave got to spend his days it the plantation house. He got to dress nicer and eat better than the field slaves. He was close to the master attending to his every need. But didn't have to do the hard labor in the fields. As such he got used to his status and wanted to protect his status above the field slaves. He would adopt the masters ideology and look down on the field slaves who were the majority.

This is the same kind of ideology that has been taken by the black conservatives today. They are eager to be accepted by the whites and think all there problems are because poor black "don't know how to act." And that if they just were polite and kind to the whites the whites will respect them. They then make excuses for white racism and castigate their own people calling them thugs. What was most striking in many of the high profile police brutality cases is how the individuals who were not acting like thugs were killed. What a fantasy black conservatives live in.

Old 02-24-2017, 10:23 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
It makes no sense to talk to a bunch of people about racism, if they have never actually experienced it but only perpetuate it . They are not going to help you eliminate racism, when they're benefitting from it on a daily basis.

Old 02-24-2017, 10:31 AM

1,015 posts, read 1,197,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post

I never thought I'd say this But I agree with this post 100%.

What the issue is how the NRA, and other gun-rights advocates, can reinvent themselves and appeal to the black community and win black support, and urban support.

Black and urban democratic voters are particularly anti-gun because they believe that gun violence is in epidemic in their neighborhoods and that if we just magically got rid of guns mothers wouldn't lose their sons blahblahblah etc...

When I'm speaking with others in my community about the importance of being armed it's difficult to counter this argument. Especially because people think that gun shots are what make their neighborhood bad.

I try to emphasize how if law-abiding citizens were all armed, armed criminals would think twice about shooting, robbing, raping etc... and how we know we cannot rely on the police to defend us in crimes in the moment of the crime. Forget about community-police relations, if you are being robbed the cops will get there in 20 minutes. The robbery will be over and the robber is across town already. Yet concealed and open carry is not allowed in NYC.

We know a lot of the shootings happen because the criminal knows he's probably the only one armed in the immediate vicinity and no one will stop him. Not so if he thinks everyone is legally armed and carrying and could stop him
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City