Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 04:50 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by COA2017 View Post
Rent a room for $150 a week.
Places like that are filthy death traps. Many houses that have been sectioned off with bad wiring, no fire egress. Not worth the risk of burning to death or being stabbed as these places have problems with crime also. OP, save money and re formulate your plan. Better to wait and be better prepared. As romantic as it is to pick up and bail, these times its a recipe for disaster. Take risk but make it calculated, better planned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 05:01 PM

34,093 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Newark, NJ

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-22-2017, 05:02 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,856,184 times
I disagree with a number of posters in this thread. I say come here and find out and press your luck. BUT if you become homeless in the process, please PLEASE don't abuse the rule we have that you have the right the housing where the city will set you up in some awful set up (although now that the housing lotteries have been changed since last october, you could technically score a luxury one bedroom or studio!) It's up to you. If I was (you don't mention your age...), and I was broke, and knowing that NYC is a city that GUARANTEES housing, eh why not? You literally might wind up in a luxury apartment with Molly and Chad as your next door neighbors paying 4000 dollars a month for their one bedroom. It's not like they pay for it anyway, most likely their parents do. We only get one life. If you think NYC is it, go for it. Personally, I think it's a hellhole that only the wealthy can prosper in long term, but we do roll out the welcome matt for our destitute at the disadvantage of our middle class!

Old 02-22-2017, 05:06 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,856,184 times
and lots of people keep mentioning Newark. I have been looking into Newark myself over the last year or so and I don't really see any apartments in your price range, but I am looking for a place that is pet friendly and not located in the really bad neighborhoods (newark has like 1 or 2 not so bad neighborhoods btw). I have also been looking into Jersey City (my hometown), but I am priced out of nearly everywhere as a single person except for the ****tiest areas. Unfortunately the way the system is set up these days to be a renter is that you have to be part of a couple sharing a studio or one bedroom, which many of us find absolutely disgusting. I don't know how old you are, but I am too old for any more roommate situations (40 plus here) and NYC isn't Miami-Dade Golden Girls roommate style living at all. If you are over 30 you will have a hard time finding roommate situations as well because people discriminate based on age hardcore in this city.

Old 02-22-2017, 05:15 PM

954 posts, read 939,552 times
With a budget like that (600-700) and requirements like that (wanting to keep your car, live in a safe area, etc.), you need to stay as far away from NY as possible.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:26 PM

1,510 posts, read 1,006,734 times
The subway has unlimited accommodation it seems.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:12 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,711,744 times
With few roommates it should work. Try queens or Brooklyn area

Old 02-24-2017, 08:14 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
There should be rooms for rent in that price range in Staten Island. Here is the craigslist link to that search. Sometimes there are scams on craigslist so watch out, but some should be legit.

https://newyork.craigslist.org/searc...labilityMode=0

If you keep scrolling down, it also lists a few other areas with rooms in that range.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:32 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,338,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Philly?
$700 a month won't cut it in Philadelphia.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:47 AM

782 posts, read 527,368 times
Budget is doable for renting a room in NYC. As others mentioned, check out Craigslist and other roommate sites. Wherever you choose, just factor in potential transportation costs and schedule to Manhattan. There are safe areas that are cheap because they are two-fare zones (requires taking a bus to get to the subway). Keeping a car is usually easier in these areas too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City