Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 04:35 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Mott Haven has perhaps some of the best Mexican food in the city and has an okay variety these days.
Never been, so can't really compare, but my go to Mexican restaurant is in Sunnyside. Its my favorite. And I'm not even that big into Mexican food, but this place in Sunnyside is off the heezy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2017, 06:09 AM

782 posts, read 527,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammax View Post
If you want to spend under 2k in NYC, you can either 1: live in a yuppie educated area with a roommate, or 2: live in a ghetto area where nobody has graduated high school or has a job by yourself, or 3: live by yourself in kinda boring but very safe outskirts-of-the-city neighborhoods like central/western Staten Island, far east Queens, far south Brooklyn, etc, but have a real long commute (unless you're lucky enough to work there).

I had the same choice (actually, I couldn't even manage 2k, I set my limit at 1600), I went for the second option. I don't care that I stick out like a sore thumb in my neighborhood, it doesn't stop me from going to the grocery store when I need or, or hopping on the train to go to NYU land when I want to hang out with my friends and get food. Anything to not have a roommate. And I'd rather have a 30 minute commute and have people ignore my existence on the street than a 70 minute commute and have people be friendly in my area. I am from NY though, so I'm used to it.

Since you want to be on the UES I'd recommend you try somewhere like southern East Harlem. You could have an extraordinarily short commute, maybe even walking distance... Get in soon though, the rents are rising here really fast. If you're not as antisocial as I am, you might want to consider living in some yuppie college area for a little while with a roommate while you get acquainted with teh city, and then get your own place in less-green pastures (but not have to share) after a while.
I would just change your first sentence from $2k to $1.6k. In Queens, it is very easy to find studios/1-brs for less than $2,000 in every neighborhood except for Long Island City. As long as you don't need new construction or luxury amenities. In western Queens, the floor is more like $1,600-1,700 for 1-bedrooms and less for studios.

Old 02-25-2017, 06:10 AM

782 posts, read 527,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Never been, so can't really compare, but my go to Mexican restaurant is in Sunnyside. Its my favorite. And I'm not even that big into Mexican food, but this place in Sunnyside is off the heezy.
Which restaurant is that?

Old 02-25-2017, 07:28 AM

37,153 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC305 View Post
Which restaurant is that?
Probably De Mole which is very good, but La Morada in Mott Haven is more than very good.

That being said, the other posters are rght--a person who has never lived in a city before should strike Mott Haven from the list.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 02-25-2017 at 08:04 AM..

Old 02-25-2017, 07:43 AM

602 posts, read 1,263,989 times
Quote:
Probably De zmole which is very good, but La Morada in Mott Haven is more than very good.
As someone from the SW, I struggle with Mexican food here because it isn't the more tex-mex SW style I grew up on. Not that other stuff isn't good as well, but I'll offer that anyone (like me) craving the SW US style should check out Lobo in Cobble Hill Brooklyn. Not fancy, but definitely hits the spot. And I'll solicit any other recommendations in this vein.

Old 02-25-2017, 07:50 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
I would try to live on the UES, likely between First and Second Avenue in a 5 story walk-up. I think you might still find something between $1600 and $2,000.

http://www.ericgoodmanrealty.com/listings/

I am not vouching for the guy but I often walk past his office and he has what seem to be reasonable (for Manhattan) neighborhood listings in his window. Second Avenue Subway is a nice perk. Neighborhood is very safe.

Old 02-28-2017, 09:09 AM

37,153 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daaver View Post
As someone from the SW, I struggle with Mexican food here because it isn't the more tex-mex SW style I grew up on. Not that other stuff isn't good as well, but I'll offer that anyone (like me) craving the SW US style should check out Lobo in Cobble Hill Brooklyn. Not fancy, but definitely hits the spot. And I'll solicit any other recommendations in this vein.
Oh, nice. Do they have hard shell ground beef tacos? I can't tell from the menu if they are hard shell.

Old 02-28-2017, 10:25 AM

462 posts, read 550,162 times
Depends on what you are willing to trade off- you might get a dumpy walk up studio on a high floor for under $2k in UES, but you will be near all the action. Failing that I would look to Astoria, pretty good commute to UES, and a fair amount of good restaurants and bars in the Astoria area as well. You should be able to get a decent apartment in your price range. Sunnyside is a decent backup option, a bit cheaper and further out but it is getting to be a "hot" area.

Old 02-28-2017, 12:21 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
In your 20's and on a budget? Roommate.
I would not get a roommate on that budget unless living in a hip area was super important to me

Old 02-28-2017, 12:27 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
Quote:
Probably De Mole which is very good, but La Morada in Mott Haven is more than very good.

That being said, the other posters are rght--a person who has never lived in a city before should strike Mott Haven from the list.
I've been wanting to try La Morada for a while now! Any recommendations?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: