Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 10:58 AM

15,849 posts, read 14,479,382 times

Advertisements

This is especially true of startups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
As companies move into the new space, the empty space will likely go down in price, making it more attractive to businesses who want a NYC office. In short someone will fill the space. Keep in mind NYC has a big startup scene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2017, 07:50 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Lots of H1-B visa jobs.

I really doubt that high unemployment is caused by the lack of office space.

Old 03-02-2017, 08:02 AM

602 posts, read 1,263,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Lots of H1-B visa jobs.

That is one thing I am interested in seeing from Trump. When you go into these big name centers in Manhattan you find that a) the IT department is in India, and b) the part of the IT department that isn't in India is mostly/all H1-B Indians living in JC. What I would hope to see is less of a) and b) and more US folks in those jobs, but the reality is that the US folks cost too much so I'm wondering if we won't see less of b) and even more of a). It will be interesting fo shure.

Old 03-02-2017, 11:01 AM

I think it's the other way around. The availability of the office space becomes a catalyst for creating jobs, especially if there's a shortage of office space.)

Quote:
Lots of H1-B visa jobs.

Old 03-03-2017, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I think it's the other way around. The availability of the office space becomes a catalyst for creating jobs, especially if there's a shortage of office space.)

I have yet to see blocks of empty office buildings spurring on an economic recovery. Quite the opposite in fact.

We saw the building of the last WTC buildings into a lackluster economy. The buildings were moribund until Port Authority and New York State and City rented out immense portions and used taxes to pay the rent, aka a huge subsidy.

Old 03-03-2017, 08:56 AM

^
Yes, but if there's demand, then it works

http://www.bizjournals.com/newyork/n...-s-cities.html

Old 03-03-2017, 10:15 AM

Thing is there is no demand, not for office space, not even for MONEY. Hence, we are still in a recession.

Old 03-03-2017, 11:45 AM

5,464 posts, read 5,710,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Many of the biggest firms moving into these mega developments are relocating from other city locations. To the degree their businesses expand they'll add workers. But that still leaves their old space empty. And no one knows who if anyone will fill that space. So net net, new employment overall will depend mostly on general business conditions rather than just the presence of new space. Plenty of examples of office buildings, like the old WTC or the Empire State that stood half empty for a long time.
I work in 4WTC and it is at full occupancy. The lower floors are retail such as Eataly and other maintenance staff, the middle is mostly government workers from PANYNJ and NYC DSS, and the upper floors is Spotify. 1 WTC has Conde Nast as the anchor tenant, but I don't know much about others. I don't think it is fully leased yet. 7WTC is at full occupancy as well with Moody's and other financial services firms, with a hedge fund(?) occupying the upper floor.

Old 03-03-2017, 12:53 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Thing is there is no demand, not for office space, not even for MONEY. Hence, we are still in a recession.
I don't think that's the case. There's maybe not booming demand, but there is job growth. Building more can potentially help that as a greater supply of office space can mean lower rental prices so that the rent portion of a businesses overhead can be reduced and the money can be spent on more productive things to expand businesses.

Old 03-03-2017, 01:42 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
It'll be like Silicon Valley, where people get paid over $150k but live like they're on the low end of middle class stuck in a small apt in NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City