Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 02:13 AM

346 posts, read 383,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
quote:
The difference between then and now is night and day.

Yeah. maybe for you MTA workers hogging at the tax payer trough, but not for every day riders. It SUCKS 10x worse than it did just 10 years ago and you know it.
I was talking about 35 years ago and you don't have a clue. Take the test if you think we have it so great. You too can have weekdays off, work holidays, work all different hours ,have winter vacations and deal with people who don't exactly act in the best interest of the service, the other passengers or themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2017, 04:34 AM

2,348 posts, read 1,904,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Just happened to me last week. I wish i had your luck.
Was it an older train? All the lines that I ride nowadays have relatively new trains (the one with the electronic strip maps).

Old 02-28-2017, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR_NYR View Post
All of these improvements around the city and Staten Island get's nothing. Our commute times are among the worst in the country.
I've seen mixed reaction on this forum from Staten Islanders when asked if they want improved mass transit. Many seem to like the isolated feel of it.

Old 02-28-2017, 06:17 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,085,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
Second Ave subway phase 1 completed
Implentation of SBS
New LaGuardia link service
Interior renovation on some subway stations
Subway station display notifications
WiFi and cell service in mostly all stations
New fleet of buses which ride better. I prefer the accordion style single step buses, and the Brooklyn blue single styled SBS buses
Promotional campaign geared for the trendy by bringing Supreme brand into its MetroCards
Shutting service down and doing repairs at reasonable times. Then taking to social media and posting pics about the progress

I gotta give the agency its props. How else can they improve? Have you seen a positive change? What say you?
The only big accomplishment is the 2nd Ave Subway (although that took forever to agree on and construct). Everything else should be pretty standard for a transportation agency.

The big task that the MTA needs to do is to upgrade their train communication system.

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...o-implement-it

Almost every other day there is a delay on the A train. It should be common sense more trains during rush hour 7 AM to 9:30 AM and then from 4:30 pm to 7:30 pm. They need to split that train line into 2 separate trains. Train stations with no fan or AC system in the Summer is loco!

Old 02-28-2017, 07:56 AM

29 posts, read 38,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynkenny View Post
It's improved since I started taking it 18 years ago. I remember when trains would break down and they'd have to empty out the train and force everybody to take the next train, making it twice as crowded. It felt like once a month, but now I can't remember the last time that's happened to me.
This still happens very frequently!

Old 02-28-2017, 07:58 AM

29 posts, read 38,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
I gotta give the agency its props. How else can they improve? Have you seen a positive change? What say you?
They can improve by 1) lowering the fares that seem to increase every year and by 2) stop lying about the "train delays" and "sick passengers."

Old 02-28-2017, 07:58 AM

274 posts, read 297,659 times
Quote:
All of these improvements around the city and Staten Island get's nothing. Our commute times are among the worst in the country.
Because SI has been the biggest NIMBY at every attempt at transit improvements. You SI residents are your own worse enemy.

Old 02-28-2017, 08:03 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
It's not MTA, but if the city's looking to create a wide-ranging ferry program, then why not open an additional route for Staten Island? Docks are being built after all, so why not just do at least one other line serving some of these (preferably some stations closest to CBDs or rail transit). Perhaps an extended route that also goes on to Wall St / Pier 11, East 34th and the pier 1 DUMBO stop or pier 6 Brooklyn Atlantic stop might make sense.. I think a combination of that and extending the Hudson-Bergen Light Rail line south and running along Staten Island's North Shore to the St. George Terminal to meet with the ferry and SIR seems to be sensible enough. I think there was another plan floated to extend the rail line south along the West Shore of Staten Island.

I believe various rail extension plans have been attempted several times, but have also been voted down several times. Maybe more people in State Island will support such a measure now? Even then, there's the question of how to get New Jersey on board.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 02-28-2017 at 08:13 AM..

Old 02-28-2017, 08:07 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,943,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CashMeOutside View Post
They can improve by 1) lowering the fares that seem to increase every year and by 2) stop lying about the "train delays" and "sick passengers."
Lowering fares would mean worsening of service. Believe it or not $2.75 is a bargain. State and federal funding help lower costs and make the $2.75 fare even possible.

Old 02-28-2017, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CashMeOutside View Post
This still happens very frequently!
What trains do you find that happening on? Are they older cars?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City