Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 07:01 PM

29 posts, read 145,316 times

Advertisements

Layed off from work bc the store I worked at closed. I have no health insurance, and can't afford COBRA. What do I do about health insurance? So scared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 07:11 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,843,971 times
You show up at the emergency room, without an ID and you don't open your mouth.

Old 03-01-2017, 07:21 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,073,752 times
Buy a plan here https://nystateofhealth.ny.gov/

Job loss is usually a qualifying event (meaning you don't have to stick to the usual once a year deadline)

Old 03-01-2017, 07:25 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,843,971 times
Unless you are have a pre-existing condition, don't bother buying a junk plan if you can't pay your other bills. Trump SUCKS, but one of the good things this year is that if you don't have health insurance you won't get "fined" come next tax time. If that is true or not, I don't know. If you are sickly, follow Henna's advice. Or if you can afford it and are responsible of course it's the right thing to do. But if you are healthy and don't have any assets that you can lose if you get super sick then don't bother with those exchange junk plans. they ARE junk.

Old 03-01-2017, 08:02 PM

31,761 posts, read 26,716,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicalMusic4 View Post
Layed off from work bc the store I worked at closed. I have no health insurance, and can't afford COBRA. What do I do about health insurance? So scared.

One, you were "laid" off from work.

Two, unless you have a chronic health issue that requires monitoring, treatment and or medications shouldn't worry too much.

If you do become very ill and or experience some sort of accident, just go to any ER. They are obligated to treat and if you are "indigent" give a discounted rate and work out a payment plan.

In another thread there are listings of hospitals/healthcare networks that provide care on a sliding scale. You can find others by simply doing an Internet search.

Contact your college or school and see if they offer any sort of alumni health benefit. Ditto if you belong to a union or whatever.

Old 03-01-2017, 08:20 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,581,585 times
If you were laid off, then presumably you have no income? Then you should be eligible for Medicaid?
(If you are getting unemployment, however, your unemployment income may be too high for Medicaid, not sure.)

Old 03-01-2017, 10:10 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,190,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
If you were laid off, then presumably you have no income? Then you should be eligible for Medicaid?
(If you are getting unemployment, however, your unemployment income may be too high for Medicaid, not sure.)
Bingo! Due the affordable care act expansion of Medicaid, you have nothing to worry about! You can go your local Medicaid office and get insured...

Oh... what's that? Trump is getting rid of Medicaid expansion? He cutting millions of people off the rolls and telling them to go fuccck themselves?

Well I'm that case, I guess you can just pray to Jesus you don't get sick!

Old 03-02-2017, 12:17 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,892,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Bingo! If you're income is under $1500 a month, you qualify for medicaid. Unemployment in NYS is low, so the above person still likely qualifies for medicaid.

Old 03-02-2017, 12:19 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,892,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyDownDweller View Post
Bingo! Due the affordable care act expansion of Medicaid, you have nothing to worry about! You can go your local Medicaid office and get insured...

Oh... what's that? Trump is getting rid of Medicaid expansion? He cutting millions of people off the rolls and telling them to go fuccck themselves?

Well I'm that case, I guess you can just pray to Jesus you don't get sick!
Trump has not cut medicaid and cannot do so without Congressional approval. And while that certainly CAN happen, it has happened YET. The above person needs to take things day by day.

So today the above person should apply for medicaid.

Look up your nearest HRA office and apply for medicaid.

Old 03-02-2017, 05:35 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,581,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Bingo! If you're income is under $1500 a month, you qualify for medicaid. Unemployment in NYS is low, so the above person still likely qualifies for medicaid.
It depends on your salary prior to being laid off.
I remember when I was unemployed (and this was years ago), my unemployment added up to a bit over $1600/month.
But if your salary was lower, your unemployment will be lower as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: