Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 11:16 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
$844 per unit. Some of those units need thousands in repairs right now. So obviously the goal is not to fix them. The initial cut does not help, and the final cut will be the deepest one. It's all a cycle anyway. Homeless people sleeping outside million dollar apartment buildings - I see it every day.
They demolished the projects in Chicago, but the neighborhoods they moved them into became horribly crime ridden places, and Chicago's murder rate is much higher than NY. So if they starve the projects of funding for repairs till they crumble, I wonder where would they dump the people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2017, 07:08 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
Doesn't CONGRESS, appropriate money, not the president?

Old 03-08-2017, 07:18 AM

274 posts, read 297,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
NYCHA will have to sell properties and ground space to make up for the short fall of revenue,
Yeah, agreed. It was upsetting seeing people complain about loss of surface parking spaces for new mixed-income buildings where the revenue would have funded the dire backlog of repairs.

I view this as GREAT news, and I hope the new administration continues to cut. It will force NYCHA to make the right choices and not cave to the interests of the selfish few.

Old 03-08-2017, 07:20 AM

274 posts, read 297,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
They don't need to raise rents. Just charge people utilities and eliminate NYCHA parking (seriously wtf.. subsidized parking?).

Those NYCHA parking lots should be going either market rate or be sold to developers.
Yes, thank you!! Thankful HUD is actually cutting funding to force NYCHA to do the right thing.

Old 03-08-2017, 07:21 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Maybe if the majority of people in Nycha building took care of the place and treated it with respect politicians would be more generous to Nycha. .

Maybe of they marched on the White House and Congress with torches and pitchforks and Molotov cocktails the politicians would be more "generous."

Old 03-08-2017, 07:38 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
It was populist who created nycha. Now it's up to populist to fix nycha.

Old 03-08-2017, 09:38 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedguy2 View Post
Yeah, agreed. It was upsetting seeing people complain about loss of surface parking spaces for new mixed-income buildings where the revenue would have funded the dire backlog of repairs.

I view this as GREAT news, and I hope the new administration continues to cut. It will force NYCHA to make the right choices and not cave to the interests of the selfish few.
You know the new administration backed by a Republican Congress will continue to cut. Trump won't cut social security and medicare because that would cause a huge rebellion among working class Americans, including those white working class people who voted for him. Basically social security and medicare are programs people WORK and PAY taxes into for their entire lives, so they've earned them in old age.

So Trump is going to cut the anti poverty programs like NYCHA.

PBS will be privatized and arts funding is gone.

Old 03-08-2017, 11:28 AM

34,090 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
So if they starve the projects of funding for repairs till they crumble, I wonder where would they dump the people?
Coney Island, Staten Island and Queens NYCHAs

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-08-2017, 01:39 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,196,810 times
I swear if smack the shiit out of half the people on this thread talking about "oh this is good."
If you were saying this to my face not hiding like cowards on some online forum.
Go fucck you selves your dirty pieces of shiit.

You recognize that we are talking about people's homes here? People's communities? NYCHA already has a backlog of billions in needed repairs to roofs, boilers, walls, plumbing, grounds etc...? And that NYCHA is one of the only truly affordable housing options in NYC?

We should be putting money into NYCHA not taking it out. There is only one solution to this if Trump does this. Tax the rich and makes those asssholes pay for all the shiit they talk on this thread.

1.) expropriate Trump Towers and all Trump properties in New York. Use their sales to then fund public housing
2.) create income-based public water rates, Coned electric and gas rates, that raise funding for NYCHA
3.) institute a tax on Wall Street trading

Old 03-08-2017, 01:54 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyDownDweller View Post
I swear if smack the shiit out of half the people on this thread talking about "oh this is good."
If you were saying this to my face not hiding like cowards on some online forum.
Go fucck you selves your dirty pieces of shiit.

You recognize that we are talking about people's homes here? People's communities? NYCHA already has a backlog of billions in needed repairs to roofs, boilers, walls, plumbing, grounds etc...? And that NYCHA is one of the only truly affordable housing options in NYC?

We should be putting money into NYCHA not taking it out. There is only one solution to this if Trump does this. Tax the rich and makes those asssholes pay for all the shiit they talk on this thread.

1.) expropriate Trump Towers and all Trump properties in New York. Use their sales to then fund public housing
2.) create income-based public water rates, Coned electric and gas rates, that raise funding for NYCHA
3.) institute a tax on Wall Street trading
You're referring to me, and yes I said it's good because it is. When the Bronx was burning, people were forced out, and numerous communities went down the drain. Now we're seeing a re-birth of what the Bronx once was, a great place for true middle class and upper class residents with lower crime and housing stock being revitalized, and you're complaining about that?

NYCHA is a sham. If you have to be propped up by others then you can't afford to live here, and I for one am tired of my tax dollars being wasted on such nonsense. NYCHA is an endless money pit that will never work until it's torn down and revamped from the bottom up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: