Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 08:23 PM

931 posts, read 801,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Why isn't that diverse to you? That covers many different groups of people.

And The Bronx is at least 14% white anyway.
You just proved my point. 14% Whites in the Bronx is NOT diverse! In other words, 86% of the Bronx is of Black and Brown folks. Thats NOT diversity.

Same goes for financially, the Bronx is also NOT financially diverse. The poor and working poor population significantly outnumber the middle class, upper middle class and wealthy in the Bronx. Not even close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2017, 10:11 PM

329 posts, read 299,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwalters View Post
I worry about your grasp of reality.

Languages of The Bronx & Its Neighborhoods | Welcome2TheBronx

However, when it comes to your mistaken idea that diversity is only skin deep - think a little bit more about the fact that, for many reasons, black and brown folks are not as homogenized as American whites. There is a ton of diversity in the Bronx.
Agree 100 percent

Old 03-17-2017, 11:53 PM

657 posts, read 801,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allpro123 View Post
You just proved my point. 14% Whites in the Bronx is NOT diverse! In other words, 86% of the Bronx is of Black and Brown folks. Thats NOT diversity.

Same goes for financially, the Bronx is also NOT financially diverse. The poor and working poor population significantly outnumber the middle class, upper middle class and wealthy in the Bronx. Not even close.
You somehow keep missing their point.

Old 03-18-2017, 01:13 AM

857 posts, read 1,200,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
He's actually right. You can throw around all of those stats but generally speaking, there isn't much intermingling of groups. That's what he's talking about. Even in minority areas, you may see lots of black and brown folks, but they aren't really intermingling either. The Latinos stick with the Latinos. The Africans stick with the Africans. The Black Americans with their own... The West Indians with their own. The Whites live in relatively isolated out of the way areas where they are the majority, even if there are other groups. Do you call that "diversity"?
u must not hang in these neighborhoods often.......all those groups their children goto school together which means obviously kids from each group tend to befriend each other......then they grow up together go through school together socialize play sports together etc...it only gets segregated in terms of nightlife but even that depends on the bars and clubs they goto and the music played......a latin club will probably draw a 95-99% latin crowd but now and again a non latin person (most likely black) will walk in there and hang out a bit. Same can be said for the jamaican hangouts (although those draw alot of black americans as well).....not sure if the africans have any hang outs but africans tend to be the most clannish and insulated anyhow......

Old 03-18-2017, 06:26 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter2219 View Post
u must not hang in these neighborhoods often.......all those groups their children goto school together which means obviously kids from each group tend to befriend each other......then they grow up together go through school together socialize play sports together etc...it only gets segregated in terms of nightlife but even that depends on the bars and clubs they goto and the music played......a latin club will probably draw a 95-99% latin crowd but now and again a non latin person (most likely black) will walk in there and hang out a bit. Same can be said for the jamaican hangouts (although those draw alot of black americans as well).....not sure if the africans have any hang outs but africans tend to be the most clannish and insulated anyhow......
Oh I do, hence my comment. What you stated is what I see. Kids hanging out together isn't the same as adults intermingling. If they didn't go to the same schools, there would be little to no interaction among these ethnic groups, so yes they all live in the same neighborhoods, but generally mingle among their own. Those kids of different backgrounds interacting are the exception, not the rule. Just being honest and telling it the way it is. I generally see Africans with Africans, Dominicans with Dominicans, Indians with Indians, etc., with the occasional Puerto Rican hanging out with Black Americans.

Even in an area like Parkchester that is probably the most ethnically diverse in the Bronx outside of parts of the Concourse, the Asians stick among their own. Remember walking one day and hearing a black lady talking out loud about how "they don't like Black people", which was done purposely since she saw some Indian people walking nearby.

Last edited by pierrepont7731; 03-18-2017 at 07:02 AM..

Old 03-18-2017, 06:37 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,629,510 times
Quote:
He's actually right. You can throw around all of those stats but generally speaking, there isn't much intermingling of groups. That's what he's talking about. Even in minority areas, you may see lots of black and brown folks, but they aren't really intermingling either. The Latinos stick with the Latinos. The Africans stick with the Africans. The Black Americans with their own... The West Indians with their own. The Whites live in relatively isolated out of the way areas where they are the majority, even if there are other groups. Do you call that "diversity"?
I had a friend in Queens who said the same thing about different ethnic groups not mixing, but really it's less true for younger people. Even schools in majority white areas in the Bronx have large populations of non-whites, and kids will mix much more. My kids go to school in the Bronx and have very diverse friends both racially, ethnically and economically. I'm white and have very diverse friends as well. Where in the Bronx do you live?

Old 03-18-2017, 06:39 AM

37,128 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:

Black and brown people aren't the same as each other and each category has internal differences. The Bronx is definitely heavily skewed towards poor though.

Old 03-18-2017, 06:43 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Mott Haven is kinda diverse, there are blacks (presumably a mix of AAs and West Indians), Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, Mexicans, probably some Arabs and Asians.
What makes Mott Haven different from the rest of the Bronx neighborhoods then? University Heights has PRs, Drs, Mexicans, Arabs, Cambodians, Vietnanese, Africans, AA etc

I wouldn't exactly peg Mott Haven as bastion of diversity when the same types of groups can be found in pretty much the rest of the Bronx.

Old 03-18-2017, 08:43 AM

7 posts, read 6,675 times
Quote:

All you see when you walk around NYC is an undifferentiated sea of black and brown faces, (that is, if you even notice the faces), in varying hues. Kinda sucks to be you, huh.

Old 03-18-2017, 09:02 AM

7 posts, read 6,675 times
Quote:
In my building alone I've seen four obviously interracial married couples so far (American and European whites with AA or black Caribbean spouses). In the building next door I'm buddies with a Muslim from Bangladesh and her convert husband from middle America. They introduced me to another couple in that building who are also interracial. I'm in an interracial marriage and we're both from different countries. These are just the very obviously interracial/intercultural couples that are right in my face. Doesn't include the relationships between people from different countries who both happen to have melanin pigment.

Yeah, I call that diversity. I live in one of the neighborhoods listed in the OP post. What do you do, pass through the Bronx sometimes and feel like you know all about it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City