Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 09:24 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannik508 View Post
It's gonna cost a lot and different length cars run on the same tracks which means doors open at different spots in the b division ( Letter trains have 60 and 75 foot cars. It will happen eventually but don't expect to see it anytime soon. I have pulled my train into stations that were wall to wall people and always worried someone would get bumped into the track in front of my train. It almost happened at Dekalb. A kid got knocked down just as I got near him and his mother had to grab him by the scruff of the neck and pull him back. If I didn't put the train in emergency I probably would have hit his head. I had a few incidents like that including one where a young girl sitting on a bike was pushed in front of my train. How I went home with clean underwear that day I'll never know. There are a lot of stories to tell.
It couldn't happen until division B retires all 75 foot cars. The 44 order has been retired, and now r46 is going to be replaced with 60 foot cars by the r211 order. Now that leads the r68.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 06:19 AM

37,157 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
I'm guessing they would have to re-design most of the stations for that. That ain't happening bruh...
If we were smart it would. We'd probably save money on maintenance and service disruptions overall.

Old 03-20-2017, 07:31 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,563,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
It seems odd to me that NYC, the Rome of this century has such an outdated subway system. I heard about the girl who fainted and fell into the tracks and got half of her body ran over. Even Bangkok has glass dividers. Is there any plans to add these?
Why is it odd when the subway system is so old? Its not odd at all - its what one would expect. You say "even Bangkok", yet the Bangkok subway system is much newer.

It would be a huge retrofit but really not needed. What you going to do next - glass door the LIRR then the MNRR? What about walling off roads expect for at crossing points?

Old 03-20-2017, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Why is it odd when the subway system is so old? Its not odd at all - its what one would expect. You say "even Bangkok", yet the Bangkok subway system is much newer.

It would be a huge retrofit but really not needed. What you going to do next - glass door the LIRR then the MNRR? What about walling off roads expect for at crossing points?
Doing it for commuter rail stations won't make much financial or operational sense unless it's at a station with high frequency and heavy overcrowding.

Old 03-21-2017, 06:35 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
"Screen doors?" For what, protection against mosquitoes?

Old 03-21-2017, 07:17 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,563,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Doing it for commuter rail stations won't make much financial or operational sense unless it's at a station with high frequency and heavy overcrowding.

Frequency is not relevant, overcrowding is. Many railroad commuter lines could easily be considered overcrowded during rush hours since the whole platform is full of people waiting for that one train that comes in at that one allotted time - in fact the 7.30am from Larchmont or wherever is guaranteed to be crowded

Nevertheless it doesn't need to be done. Of all the things that the transit system needs, that would be way down the list.

Old 03-27-2017, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Frequency is not relevant, overcrowding is. Many railroad commuter lines could easily be considered overcrowded during rush hours since the whole platform is full of people waiting for that one train that comes in at that one allotted time - in fact the 7.30am from Larchmont or wherever is guaranteed to be crowded

Nevertheless it doesn't need to be done. Of all the things that the transit system needs, that would be way down the list.
I should've said ridership instead of frequency, but frequency matters in your scenario. If they upped frequency at that station, then the overcrowding would be vastly reduced.

I don't think any commuter rail station has anywhere near the overcrowding on platforms that some of the subway stations do, but I haven't been to every LIRR and Metro-North station. I doubt the immense crowds are there and the frequency at most stations aren't so high that a service disruption from some idiot will back up dozens of trains within a half hour nor will there be so many people passong through that trash fires are a real issue (fewer people, less trash).

Overall, I think it's sensible for the subway. Maybe for some commuter rail stations in a few decades.

Old 03-27-2017, 07:49 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynkenny View Post
Trump promised great things for infrastructure via public-private partnerships. So I'm essence, money isn't coming from the government. It's coming from private investors who charge the end users tolls and fees.

And Tinker Bell will come back to life.

Old 03-27-2017, 05:33 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,904,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
And Tinker Bell will come back to life.
Better chance for Tinker Bell than Trump and Congress spending $1 trillion in federal funds on infrastructure.

Old 03-27-2017, 07:25 PM

1,184 posts, read 720,671 times
The new subway stations like the hudson yards etc should do this but it cost too much
Nyc would have to win the Olympics or something and receive a ton of cash to overhaul it. Its really old system and costs alot to run as is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City