Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 08:38 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times

Advertisements

It seems odd to me that NYC, the Rome of this century has such an outdated subway system. I heard about the girl who fainted and fell into the tracks and got half of her body ran over. Even Bangkok has glass dividers. Is there any plans to add these?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 09:03 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,152,073 times
That is not going to happen anytime soon, cost too much to retrofit all the lines. Mta is worried about liability.

Old 03-13-2017, 09:05 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,478,770 times
all the money went to china and the middle east and afghanistan. we also have de blasio as a mayor don't worry. trump promised great great great infrastructure. he's going to do big things.

Old 03-13-2017, 10:30 PM

346 posts, read 383,406 times
It's gonna cost a lot and different length cars run on the same tracks which means doors open at different spots in the b division ( Letter trains have 60 and 75 foot cars. It will happen eventually but don't expect to see it anytime soon. I have pulled my train into stations that were wall to wall people and always worried someone would get bumped into the track in front of my train. It almost happened at Dekalb. A kid got knocked down just as I got near him and his mother had to grab him by the scruff of the neck and pull him back. If I didn't put the train in emergency I probably would have hit his head. I had a few incidents like that including one where a young girl sitting on a bike was pushed in front of my train. How I went home with clean underwear that day I'll never know. There are a lot of stories to tell.

Last edited by dannik508; 03-13-2017 at 10:38 PM..

Old 03-13-2017, 11:20 PM

419 posts, read 626,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannik508 View Post
It's gonna cost a lot and different length cars run on the same tracks which means doors open at different spots in the b division ( Letter trains have 60 and 75 foot cars. It will happen eventually but don't expect to see it anytime soon. I have pulled my train into stations that were wall to wall people and always worried someone would get bumped into the track in front of my train. It almost happened at Dekalb. A kid got knocked down just as I got near him and his mother had to grab him by the scruff of the neck and pull him back. If I didn't put the train in emergency I probably would have hit his head. I had a few incidents like that including one where a young girl sitting on a bike was pushed in front of my train. How I went home with clean underwear that day I'll never know. There are a lot of stories to tell.
i couldnt stand for 2 days with this kinda stress.

Old 03-14-2017, 02:34 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
It seems odd to me that NYC, the Rome of this century has such an outdated subway system. I heard about the girl who fainted and fell into the tracks and got half of her body ran over. Even Bangkok has glass dividers. Is there any plans to add these?
In this country you are on your own. Some people keep away from platform edges because they are dangerous. Others choose to hang out around the edge where you not only can faint and fall into the path of a train but could be pushed or bumped. Some people actually lean over the edge and get their heads smashed like pumpkins as the trains come through! I am a wall hugger myself. Just seems safer. It's a matter of choice.

It's the same kind of thing with pedestrians and intersections. Some people choose to keep a distance from the curb and wait for the walk light. Others hang out right on the edge and some actually like to stand in the street and cross against the walk lights. They often get hit by cars,trucks ,busses or taxis. Sometimes they just get maimed but sometimes they get killed.

We get to make our own decisions in this country about these types of things. You are on your own here.

Last edited by bluedog2; 03-14-2017 at 03:17 AM..

Old 03-14-2017, 03:27 AM

2,348 posts, read 1,903,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
all the money went to china and the middle east and afghanistan. we also have de blasio as a mayor don't worry. trump promised great great great infrastructure. he's going to do big things.
Trump promised great things for infrastructure via public-private partnerships. So I'm essence, money isn't coming from the government. It's coming from private investors who charge the end users tolls and fees.

Old 03-14-2017, 04:14 AM

31,909 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Quote:

"Their primary disadvantage is their cost; installing a system typically costs several million USD per station. When used to retrofit older systems, they limit the kind of rolling stock that may be used on a line, as train doors must have exactly the same spacing as the platform doors; this results in additional costs due to depot upgrades and otherwise unnecessary purchases of rolling stock. They also impede natural ventilation, increasing climate control costs."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platform_screen_doors

"Despite numerous deaths and injuries that have occurred after commuters fall, jump or are pushed onto the subway tracks, the MTA has said on multiple occasions that the cost of installing the protective sliding doors at its aging stations would be exorbitant."

https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/201...-pilot-program

MTA to consider platform screen doors - Transitized

NYC Subway Platform Screen Doors update - New York City Subway - NYC Transit Forums

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...nsitforums.com&*

And so forth, and so on, etc..., etc...

Long story short it would cost billions to install such doors system wide on NYCTA subways. That and would be a huge design issue since rolling stock (trains) vary throughout the system.

Then you have the very real problem in that some stations there is very little room on the platforms as there is, adding a set of walled doors/screens may not be easy. The 77th Street and Lexington IRT station for example is not very wide. If crowded (and it often is) just managing to get though can be an ordeal.

Finally there is the fact many New Yorkers aren't exactly up on subway etiquette. Train pulls in, doors open, they start boarding regardless of whether or not passengers have completed exiting. Can see a situation where someone (or their body part) gets pushed between gap of the screens and train. That or something belonging to them falls or whatever between that gap.

A majority of accidents at NYC subway platforms involve persons doing something the MTA has warned against for decades; standing near platform edge.

MTA spends a small fortune on announcements and other equipment, along with painting the "no stand" zones on platforms bright yellow, and yet people still feel the need to stand on the platform edge staring down into the tunnels. As if that is going to make a train arrive any faster.

Old 03-14-2017, 05:27 AM

602 posts, read 1,263,989 times
Quote:
I suppose one factor is what is reasonable. Is it reasonable to expect people to stay safe on the platforms without barriers? I think so. Intersections would be much safer if we hired officials to hold people's hands when they crossed the street. Would that be reasonable? People get killed jaywalking all the time. Is it reasonable to put up barriers to prevent that from happening? In some places, the answer is yes. I once lived near an international business university in another state, and the foreign students just didn't understand our automobile driven culture and several were struck jaywalking. The school and city tried many things, but in the end, after years of exhausting other ideas, they eventually just put up a fence from corner to corner to prevent the jaywalking. I suppose if enough people get killed on platforms, a divider will become a more palatable idea.

Or people could just mind the freaking gap.

But hey, there is a reason why signs like this exist.

Old 03-14-2017, 06:11 AM

3,699 posts, read 3,855,671 times
Because it's not needed and we are new yorkers ,we dont all need nurse maiding! jeez.

How come there's not people that the city provides to hold our hands as we walk down the subways stairs either!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City