Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 11:46 AM

602 posts, read 1,263,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
....And slow bus service, which the City does influence... Albany had nothing to do with Vision Zero.
Well that's not true. NYC can't even set it's own speed limits, that all went through Albany.

Quote:
Governor Andrew M. Cuomo today signed a bill authorizing New York City to lower its speed limits from 30 to 25 miles per hour. The legislation seeks to lower the number of vehicle and pedestrian accidents in New York City and supports the States ongoing effort to make roadways safer.

We have seen too many injuries and deaths as a result of traffic accidents, and this legislation will be yet another step in our efforts to make New Yorks streets safer for all, Governor Cuomo said. New York City is Americas largest and most energetic city, and its roadways must also be the safest. I commend Mayor de Blasio, Senate Majority Co-Leader Klein and Assemblyman ODonnell for their hard work on this legislation.
Quote:
New York City Department of Transportation Commissioner Polly Trottenberg said, I want to thank the Governor for his leadership on traffic safety, the Legislature for taking bold action and the Families for their relentless commitment to achieving 25 mph. We will implement the speed limit reduction in a smart and thoughtful manner as the City continues to roll out our Vision Zero efforts.
https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/gov...-new-york-city
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2017, 11:57 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,276,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daaver View Post
Well that's not true. NYC can't even set it's own speed limits, that all went through Albany.

Cuomo may have signed it, but it isn't him that is taking the heat for the mess that it has been.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.2834430

Old 03-16-2017, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Cuomo may have signed it, but it isn't him that is taking the heat for the mess that it has been.

De Blasio's Vision Zero under fire as hit-and-run stats released - NY Daily News
OK, I'm having trouble keeping up. I thought you were saying Vision Zero is causing the buses to be slow, and that is de Blasio's fault. Except that Albany and Cuomo were all over the speed limit reductions, which I would think would have the biggest impact on buses and traffic. The article you linked is talking about hit-and-runs and people not getting charged in accidents.

So- is what you are saying that de Blasio is to blame because people aren't getting charged for hit-and-runs under Vision Zero which is what is actually causing the buses to be late? I'm not clear on how that is slowing down the buses, it would seem to me that if anything, blowing off accident investigations would speed buses and traffic up, not slow it down.

Old 03-16-2017, 12:12 PM

Quote:
OK, I'm having trouble keeping up. I thought you were saying Vision Zero is causing the buses to be slow, and that is de Blasio's fault. Except that Albany and Cuomo were all over the speed limit reductions, which I would think would have the biggest impact on buses and traffic. The article you linked is talking about hit-and-runs and people not getting charged in accidents.

So- is what you are saying that de Blasio is to blame because people aren't getting charged for hit-and-runs under Vision Zero which is what is actually causing the buses to be late? I'm not clear on how that is slowing down the buses, it would seem to me that if anything, blowing off accident investigations would speed buses and traffic up, not slow it down.
Since you're having trouble keeping up, let me break it down for you. De Blasio promised that fatalities would go down under his watch (not Cuomo's ) because Vision Zero would reduce speed limits. So what if Cuomo signed the bill? It was de Blasio's administration that introduced the legislation, and he is the one taking the heat for the continued fatalities, along with the reduced speeds, not Cuomo, so you can talk about how Cuomo signed the bill all you want, but when it comes down to it, the finger will be pointed at de Blasio, especially since he's practically made Vision Zero a signature piece of his "achievements" since taking office.

Mayor praises success of Vision Zero | News 12 Brooklyn

De Blasio looks to funnel $317M into Vision Zero | New York Post

So, who do you think will have their face all over Vision Zero, Albany/Cuomo or de Blasio??

Old 03-16-2017, 12:14 PM

15,822 posts, read 14,460,687 times
No.

It's a service it needs to be paid for. It should be paid for by the people who use it. The fare should cover all the operating cost, and at least a good chunk of the capital costs. If people can't afford it (or anything else about the expenses of living in what is one of the most expensive cities in the world), they should move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Yes it is.
The MTA should be free to everyone and fully supported by the general state and City income tax revenue that should be a PROGRESSIVE tax, unlike what it is today.

Old 03-16-2017, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Since you're having trouble keeping up, let me break it down for you. De Blasio promised that fatalities would go down under his watch (not Cuomo's ) because Vision Zero would reduce speed limits. So what if Cuomo signed the bill? It was de Blasio's administration that introduced the legislation, and he is the one taking the heat for the continued fatalities, along with the reduced speeds, not Cuomo, so you can talk about how Cuomo signed the bill all you want, but when it comes down to it, the finger will be pointed at de Blasio, especially since he's practically made Vision Zero a signature piece of his "achievements" since taking office.

Mayor praises success of Vision Zero | News 12 Brooklyn

De Blasio looks to funnel $317M into Vision Zero | New York Post

So, who do you think will have their face all over Vision Zero, Albany/Cuomo or de Blasio??
You forgot to mention why that is making the buses slow. Which is the point.

Old 03-16-2017, 12:19 PM

Quote:
You forgot to mention why that is making the buses slow. Which is the point.
Unless there is some other magical way to lower speeds (aside from lowering the speed limit), obviously changing the sequencing of traffic lights would certainly slow things down now wouldn't it? Face it. De Blasio is an idiot.

Old 03-16-2017, 12:21 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,944,809 times
Quote:

Cuomo is the Governor of NYC, not the rest of the state. He hasn't got a damn clue about the rest of NY and how the rest of us live. He even threw the state workers up north under the bus during the storm two days ago by exempting the non-essential workers from staying home in 6 northern NY counties, while those same workers in the rest of the state got Tuesday off. Essex County and Franklin County both declared their own states of emergency and travel bans.

Schools closed, state workers told to stay home in most of NY | News, Sports, Jobs - Adirondack Daily Enterprise

Quote:
The Democrat also directed non-essential state employees to stay home from work — except in Franklin, Essex, Jefferson, St. Lawrence, Lewis and Clinton counties.
That explains why my brother, who works for the NYS DEC in Ray Brook (outside of Saranac Lake), had to drive 150 miles down to Albany to interview a couple of people for jobs. On Tuesday. During the storm. That could have, and should have, waited.

And where did he give his press conferences regarding the storm??? Long Island. He should have been in Albany for that.

Don't worry... he wants to slam those of us who own cars by raising the registration fee for passenger cars from $58 to $75. I'm glad I sent in my check to renew at the present rate already, because mine renews on April 15.

Old 03-16-2017, 01:58 PM

738 posts, read 584,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
No.

It's a service it needs to be paid for. It should be paid for by the people who use it. The fare should cover all the operating cost, and at least a good chunk of the capital costs. If people can't afford it (or anything else about the expenses of living in what is one of the most expensive cities in the world), they should move.

It provides a social benefit that makes it worthy of a certain subsidy.

Some people out in Nausea County (ugh) have the gall to complain about the subsidized bus service. Um, those people who ride it can't afford to live out there; they cut your lawns, wash your dishes, clean your houses, cook your food, and mind your children, and you're just going to have to pay another way if they have to take the LIRR and a cab.

Or you can scrub the damn floor yourself, cook your own food, and mind your own kids. Might do you good.

Old 03-16-2017, 03:54 PM

15,822 posts, read 14,460,687 times
And this is how it's become a stuck bleeding financial pig. Sorry but the days of social subsidies are over. Pay up or get out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCardSteve1 View Post
It provides a social benefit that makes it worthy of a certain subsidy.

Some people out in Nausea County (ugh) have the gall to complain about the subsidized bus service. Um, those people who ride it can't afford to live out there; they cut your lawns, wash your dishes, clean your houses, cook your food, and mind your children, and you're just going to have to pay another way if they have to take the LIRR and a cab.

Or you can scrub the damn floor yourself, cook your own food, and mind your own kids. Might do you good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City