Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 02:24 PM

12,199 posts, read 7,227,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
In many aspects a foreign buyer like Japanese or Chinese does a better job at managing their property than Americans. They treat their workers with more respect.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/deaths-...ers-1471796417
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2017, 02:39 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,866,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
No, he was right and you were wrong.

Here is what you said:

Quote:
You don't have a good understanding of what is happening. The Chinese buying the Waldorf is an effect, not a cause.

Here is what I said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
None of what you stated is caused by Chinese investing in American assets.

Quote:
This is not caused by Chinese investment in American assets like the Waldorf Astoria.

Pay attention to "None of" and "This is not caused". So where's the discrepancy here between your post and mine? Well?

Old 03-17-2017, 02:53 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
Quote:
Haha, I knew someone would pick out something like this. I disagree with these articles because in China, the workers are the ones that are working their butts off because there is no safety net so people are often over extending themselves to get as much money. They would complain if there isn't enough work.

Go to any Japanese or Chinese owned company here in America, layoffs are uncommon.

Old 03-17-2017, 03:06 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Pay attention to "None of" and "This is not caused". So where's the discrepancy here between your post and mine? Well?
You should re-read your posts because well, they don't make sense!

Old 03-17-2017, 03:13 PM

37,154 posts, read 39,418,669 times
People might be misunderstanding that China is a large nation state that was fairly organized and well educated with a massive reserve of labor and technical skill. It was inevitable that they become a pretty large player in the global economy and thus a strong competitor and sometimes collaborator in our domestic market, their domestic market, and the international market. I think that was a somewhat unavoidable factor, but what wasn't was our inability to incubate better technical skills as well as extremely short-sighted and wasteful expenditures.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 03-17-2017 at 03:59 PM..

Old 03-17-2017, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
You should re-read your posts because well, they don't make sense!
No, either you were confused, or you were misusing the purchase of the Waldorf Astoria to support your opposition to the trade imbalance between the US and China.

Old 03-17-2017, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Eh, I think people might be misunderstanding that China is a large nation state that was fairly organized and well educated with a massive reserve of labor and technical skill. It was inevitable that they become a pretty large player in the global economy and thus a strong competitor and sometimes collaborator in our domestic market, their domestic market, and the international market. I think that was a somewhat unavoidable factor, but what wasn't was our, the US's inability to incubate better technical skills as well as extremely short-sighted and wasteful expenditures.
Listen, our gubment sold us out. This has nothing to do with technical skills or re-retraining. I really wish that people would stop trying to put the blame on Americans like we're so non-productive or incompetent. We're some of the most productive workers on the globe. Then again, I guess we could've re-trained some folks for those lovely low paying service jobs that Obama kept touting while he was in office. Oh the joy of working at Walmart!

Quote:
No, either you were confused, or you were misusing the purchase of the Waldorf Astoria to support your opposition to the trade imbalance between the US and China.
What I said in a nutshell was wealthy Chinese people are now able to come here and buy up our real estate because of variety of policies that have allowed them to do so at our expense, one of them being trade imbalance, along with currency manipulation, relaxed or non-existent regulations in China and the like. Here's my question to you. How do you suppose that China has so many billionaires all of a sudden when they were dirt poor not that long ago without a middle class? You have yet to answer that question, and I've asked it twice now.

Old 03-17-2017, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Here's my question to you. How do you suppose that China has so many billionaires all of a sudden when they were dirt poor not that long ago without a middle class? You have yet to answer that question, and I've asked it twice now.

I answered you, but you were not paying attention. I said multiple times that the causes of the accumulation of wealth in China is a different topic and does not change the fact that the sale of the Waldorf Astoria is a good thing.

Old 03-17-2017, 04:04 PM

Quote:
I answered you, but you were not paying attention. I said multiple times that the causes of the accumulation of wealth in China is a different topic and does not change the fact that the sale of the Waldorf Astoria is a good thing.
Nice way to deflect... The sell of the Waldorf Astoria to a Chinese buyer is not a "fact" being a good thing. That's you trying to call it a fact.

Old 03-17-2017, 04:05 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Listen, our gubment sold us out. This has nothing to do with technical skills or re-retraining. I really wish that people would stop trying to put the blame on Americans like we're so non-productive or incompetent. We're some of the most productive workers on the globe. Then again, I guess we could've re-trained some folks for those lovely low paying service jobs that Obama kept touting while he was in office. Oh the joy of working at Walmart!

What I said in a nutshell was wealthy Chinese people are now able to come here and buy up our real estate because of variety of policies that have allowed them to do so at our expense, one of them being trade imbalance, along with currency manipulation, relaxed or non-existent regulations in China and the like. Here's my question to you. How do you suppose that China has so many billionaires all of a sudden when they were dirt poor not that long ago without a middle class? You have yet to answer that question, and I've asked it twice now.
I'll answer that. Clinton signed the WTO agreement and US companies offshore considerable production to China. The Chinese did not let foreign companies own factories, so American companies had to contract to Chinese firms. In this period Chinese, Korean, and Taiwanese companies become huge, and this caused rapid development in other nations tgeybdud business with like South American and African nations. India has also developed due to tech sector and customer service offshoring.

There were consequences for some companies that offshore. IBM And HP found out their Chinese contractors could sell PCs directly to American companies and retailers. Those companies are half dead and with the exception of Apple, Dell, and HP all remaining vendors of PCs are Asian. There are still vig IS tech companies, but things certainly changed due to offshoring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City