Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 05:14 AM

4,771 posts, read 6,568,333 times

Advertisements

How did the tenants in the Goldfarb buildings lose the fight? It seems like provable tenant harassment for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 10:54 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,915,195 times
Interesting thoughts posed re: what constitutes overpriced. I've always considered that to be the personal measure - obviously someone, somewhere will pay it or the landlord will be forced to lower the rent. Years ago, bluedog posted links to some of those buildings and I was moderately interested - big one bedrooms going for $1200 or so. The very same apartments had shot up to $1800 just a few short years later. Not remotely worth it, in my opinion. But that's for me and my life. I pay $1800 in Astoria, and it's a very different vibe - vibrant, walkable, and a much better commute to Manhattan. If I worked in the Bronx or Westchester, the equation would flip.

Old 07-18-2017, 03:10 PM

21 posts, read 29,435 times
Did you find the apartment yet? I know an apartment right behind Jacobi medical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by helpneedapt View Post
Hi CityData,

I'm going to be a resident at Jacobi Medical Center in July. I need to find an apartment. I won't have a car so something within walking distance or somewhere with subway access is ideal. I've been searching Craigslist for apts on Pelham Parkway and Upper east side. Any other neighborhoods in between on the subway line that are safe? How far up upper east side before I hit unsafe areas? I'm female, 20s. Should I find a broker or are streeteasy/craigslist enough?

Also I can't believe apts are so expensive even in the Bronx! I'm seeing nothing lower than $1600 for a studio in the Bronx and $1800 in UES... I don't want a roommate UNLESS there are 2 bathrooms..maybe. My hours will be very irregular with night and day shifts, so I need to sleep at odd times. I'm a light sleeper so a roommate would not work well.

Is it possible to find something in a safe neighborhood for $1500 or less?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City