Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2017, 11:40 PM

306 posts, read 283,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I usually don't agree with you on anything but Rochdale Village is certainly not upper middle class. I'm sure there are some people who live there whose salaries fall into that range, but overall nothing about that complex screams "upper middle class" to me.
Read WELL before you say things , I didn't write it is upper middle class , I wrote it's middle class , majority of people are middle class , but there are some upper middle class people live in it and I am one of them . An area social class is defined by what the majority of people are, example if the majority of people in AN area are middle class even if there are some upper middle class people live in it , the area is consider as middle class
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2017, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Definitely isn't working class either. I'd say it's solidly middle class though I really dislike the style and layout of those sort of buildings.
You are right Rochdale village is middle class , majority of people are middle class. You wrote you dislike the style and layout , but have you ever been inside one of those apartments , what Rochdale offer when it comes to amount of space and price you don't find things like that almost anywhere in NYC , I live in a 2 bedrooms plus balcony , I have a large living room wooden floor and large kitchen and I don't pay more than $1200 a month , apartment like this in Manhattan could of easily go for $3500 a month . Also I have air conditioner during summer times and good heat during cold weather and the tenants control the buttons . Rochdale offer a GOOD DEAL , and as a result someone like me who v Been living there for more than 10 years was able to save and now reach upper middle class status.

Old 03-30-2017, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Rochdale Village is known for shootings? Really? You might be thinking a couple decades ago, because my acquaintance did tell me there was a rough and tumble period when a lot of the rest of the city was also having it pretty bad. It's still in the city, sure, but Rochdale Village isn't particularly crime-ridden.
WELL SAID , also I don't see why some of you keep reply to Pierre point , he or she is A TROOL , and someone who is not well informed about a lot of things , but go to a lot of threads and vomit stupidity that are in his or her stomach in order to create something . Pierre point is on other threads and a lot of people want to block him or her , so WATCH OUT PEOPLE

Old 03-30-2017, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Okay, but in an area with how many people in it and over what period of time? You can look at precinct crime maps. Rochdale Village is not particularly dangerous or really that dangerous at all. What happened to you in Rochdale Village that gave you the willies like this?
WELL SAID , and like I wrote before Pierre point is A TROOL , he or she is not well informed about a lot of things but write things in order to create something . A lot of people want to block him or her on other threads , so WATCH OUT PEOPLE

Old 03-30-2017, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Gang activity in the city? Who are you kidding here? Just because you don't see it, doesn't mean it's not there. Plus, the article that mentions gang activity you were citing about gang activity was citing a large region of southeast Queens, not Rochdale Village specifically.

I think what you have here might be two different undercurrents influencing your thought.

The primary one is that Rochdale Village has the same architecture of a lot of housing projects. This applies to several co-ops around the city that were built in the same era as the housing projects. Most people's familiarity with this kind of architecture in the city is housing projects which do often have high crime rates so you're going to make that association instinctively. I think this is probably what's most strongly coloring your view on this.

The second is that Southeast Queens is still the city. The crime rate is unfortunately higher in the city than in most suburbs. You might be coming from some place where the base line of crime is much lower. However, Rochdale Village and the precinct that serves it does not have a markedly high crime rate for the city even though that precinct includes South Jamaica which is rougher. Those just the facts. Another part of this is that the city is generally denser so total amount of crime is often higher per area, but the area you're talking about does not have some disproportionately high crime rate for the city.

Rochdale Village is in an area with below average crime rate, median household income of 67K, average household income of 83K and as a complex is almost entirely or is actually entirely owner-occupied. It's grounds and buildings seem well-kempt. I disagree with bax that it's upper middle class overall, though there are certainly upper middle class households there, but I also disagree with you that it's either a ghetto, poor, or working class overall. I understand my two visits there doesn't qualify as a comprehensive experience compared to yours, but if you want, we can go over how I used web technologies to find out more information on the place.

First I want to say that you sounded like a Well informed , educated person , WELL SAID , but I want to clarify something , I didn't write that Rochdale is upper middle class , I wrote there are some upper middle class people who live in it and I am one of them , but it is middle class because majority of people are middle class .

And the reasons I wrote that I am upper middle class because I have a very comfortable life , I have no debts , I have money in the bank , I am making money , I pay my bills on time and able to put food on my table , and always have money in my pocket , I can afford certain things , I have no children , I only have myself to take care , Iv been living in Rochdale for more than 10 years because it's affordable compare to a lot of parts of NYC , I was able to save during all these years , be debt free , and now reach upper middle class status

Last edited by bax2222; 03-30-2017 at 01:14 AM..

Old 03-30-2017, 10:25 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bax2222 View Post
[b]You are simply LAUGHABLE , First I am an immigrant I wasn't born here , English is my second language . secondly you wrote that you walk around with a few bucks in your pocket it's because you are BROKE . Third informed yourself better , Rochdale is classify as a middle class area and there are some upper middle class people living it and I am one of them .I have money in the bank , I don't have any debts , I always have money in my pocket , and I have a well furnished apartment and I am making money and I live in Rochdale Village . So I can afford to look good , it seems that you GOT WET when you read that because you are BROKE , so like the quote says "Don't hate the player , hate the game "
Not anymore "laughable" than you are. In 2017, most people just pay for their things with a simple swipe. The only people I see walking around with large amounts of cash are those who are immigrants without a bank account and or some guy trying to show what a big shot he is, otherwise it is faster to pay swiping your card, but sure you're "living the life" in Rochdale Village. (I couldn't help but laugh as I typed that).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
So you dont live in the hood. Nobody is trashing their area to deter gentrification. More in the other way around, like landlords trashing their own buildings....but you know what, this is the Internet.....what do you want to know? Ask away, your chance is now
How are you so sure that people aren't? Most of East Harlem has been a hell hole for years and now they're building a few high-end buildings and people are afraid of being pushed out. There's nothing for me to ask because I know what I see. I see people that deliberately throw trash on the ground in an attempt to deter certain people from moving in. People can tell when individuals aren't from the area, and they will do things as a test to see how they react.

Old 03-30-2017, 11:21 AM

34,018 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
How are you so sure that people aren't? Most of East Harlem has been a hell hole for years and now they're building a few high-end buildings and people are afraid of being pushed out. There's nothing for me to ask because I know what I see. I see people that deliberately throw trash on the ground in an attempt to deter certain people from moving in. People can tell when individuals aren't from the area, and they will do things as a test to see how they react.
Because especially in East Harlem's case, that new building going up could very well be affordable housing. How organized do you think people are?? Lol. People have been litterbugs before gentrification was even a thing, doubt somebody said, "Hey, let's switch gears here..."

And even if they were to throw garbage on the ground to deter people from moving in, there's DSNY and the wind....so a potato chip bag on the ground will not stop gentrification....

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-30-2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Because especially in East Harlem's case, that new building going up could very well be affordable housing. How organized do you think people are?? Lol. People have been litterbugs before gentrification was even a thing, doubt somebody said, "Hey, let's switch gears here..."

And even if they were to throw garbage on the ground to deter people from moving in, there's DSNY and the wind....so a potato chip bag on the ground will not stop gentrification....
Not this building. It will be a luxury style building with a doorman. I'm not denying that people don't litter in general, but you do have people that will out of their way if you will to do certain things when they see certain people walking about. That's my point. Doesn't have to be litter either. Just using that as an example, but anything that could make the person think twice about moving there because of quality of life issues (trash all about is definitely one of them).

Old 03-30-2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Not anymore "laughable" than you are. In 2017, most people just pay for their things with a simple swipe. The only people I see walking around with large amounts of cash are those who are immigrants without a bank account and or some guy trying to show what a big shot he is, otherwise it is faster to pay swiping your card, but sure you're "living the life" in Rochdale Village. (I couldn't help but laugh as I typed that).

LOL , LOL look how much of a MESS , you made out of yourself . So you wrote you swipe instead of using cash , so I hope those credit card debts don't SUFFOCATE YOU and that you'll get financial literacy to diminish or get yourself out of debts . I rest my case with you because it doesn't make any sense to keep feuding with you

Old 03-30-2017, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax2222 View Post
LOL , LOL look how much of a MESS , you made out of yourself . So you wrote you swipe instead of using cash , so I hope those credit card debts don't SUFFOCATE YOU and that you'll get financial literacy to diminish or get yourself out of debts . I rest my case with you because it doesn't make any sense to keep feuding with you
Yes, we're all in debt because we swipe with our debit cards. Debit is the same as cash, but of course you know that being "upper middle class" and all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City