Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 01:07 PM

5,044 posts, read 4,924,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I recognize "this" - meaning your complaint that things are too scruffy for you. However, have someone explain the general connotation of "Third World" to you. It usually implies a genuinely dysfunctional society, dire poverty, illiteracy, etc. That's not the same thing as a neighborhood that isn't middle-class American.
Is your 383rd world definition the standard 1?
Imo, 373rd world includes china, viet, india, parki, mexico, russia, vast parts of africa, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2017, 05:40 PM

33,886 posts, read 47,082,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammax View Post
Washington Heights
Maybe East Harlem too, but I think you're right

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-18-2017, 06:36 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,892,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I've been to Ecuador, which I guess is considered "thirld world", and the cities were way cleaner than NYC and I don't remember seeing any bums. I don't think these cities are particularly dangerous either.
Ditto for Colombia. I saw a few bums there, but overall there wasn't litter. Mexico City didn't have lots of trash either. Nor did I see a lot of trash in the DR. Or Paraguay.

Old 03-18-2017, 06:39 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,892,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrypothead View Post
I'm leaving this neighborhood soon, and I won't name the 'hood but it's been written up by the NYtimes as a gentrifying place. It's relatively safe and full of families.... But...

Litter everywhere, every-fokin-where. People love donating their trash to the sidewalk. Limited amenities. Restaurants around here serve food that is tasty but it's mostly greasy, obesity-inducing grub. Want grilled chicken? NO, YOU TAKE IT FRIED LIKE A GOOD FATTY.

What else is charming about my neighborhood? I'm glad you asked. First.. People blasting their music with zero regard for their neighbors. Every other household has a subwoofer and you must listen to what they listen to! Sharing is caring.

What else? People letting their dogs sh1te everywhere without picking up. People illegally breeding multiple dogs. Parents who let their children run around like wild animals with zero oversight. Really bad parenting in general, I think. Half the kids in my neighborhood are overweight by the time they are 8.

Anyone recognize this? It's insane that we live in such a wealthy city but have so many neighborhoods like this
Anyone who moves into a place the Times says is gentrifying is naive. The Times says the South Bronx, Jamaica, East New York, Brownsville, Flatbush, and Harlem are gentrifying.

The problem is people want something for nothing. If you ant a nice neighborhood, that's quiet you'd have to pay a lot of money to live in the neighborhoods that are ALREADY gentrified. As I said on another thread, it took LIC, Chelsea, the West Village, Hells Kitchen, UWS, and Williamsburg over 20 years to gentrify.

Old 03-18-2017, 07:04 PM

983 posts, read 927,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Anyone who moves into a place the Times says is gentrifying is naive. The Times says the South Bronx, Jamaica, East New York, Brownsville, Flatbush, and Harlem are gentrifying.

The problem is people want something for nothing. If you ant a nice neighborhood, that's quiet you'd have to pay a lot of money to live in the neighborhoods that are ALREADY gentrified. As I said on another thread, it took LIC, Chelsea, the West Village, Hells Kitchen, UWS, and Williamsburg over 20 years to gentrify.
Harlem absolutely is gentrifying. Yes, there are still projects and they will always be there, but new stuff is being put up every day. Whole foods is coming. 125th street has banana republic and all kinds of shopping now. I've only been living in Harlem for about 2 years, but the difference I've seen since mid 2015, especially in the last 6 months, is pretty notable

However you are mostly right, the Times jumps the gun with its "next hot neighborhood" things way too much to take them seriously

Old 03-18-2017, 07:49 PM

3,857 posts, read 3,132,689 times
Do you know what third world is? We talking dirt roads, far away hospitals, no trash collection, a chicken bus for transport, very low income, tin roof shacks, no sidewalks, kids running around bare chested with diapers on, etc....

Those cities visited on vacation is not the "real" deal. Major cities or tourist locations are always spit and polished!

Must be the gritty neighborhoods full of apartment buildings and working class people, bursting at the seems.

QUEENS aint mexico, we have it ALL. You dont Really Know Queens, or the outer boros, only the bad spots.

Old 03-18-2017, 08:09 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,843,971 times
To me, the Third World = having to smell the skank aroma of nasty ass yoga pants in your face on the train. disGUSTING. Please, ladies (and men) wear some underwear, put some tampons in (please!) and stop thinking it's okay to walk around sticking your spandexxed ass in peoples faces. guh ROSS! it's all white ladies doing this btw.

Old 03-18-2017, 08:15 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,278,811 times
In the 3rd world countries I've been to, the dilemma was quite the opposite of childhood obesity.

Old 03-18-2017, 08:21 PM

377 posts, read 507,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrypothead View Post
Why so offended. Do you live in one of these neighborhoods? I hope you don't contribute to the third world atmosphere
hmmm...Are you saying that you are offended? I did not say you were. Are you asking if I am offended? I never said I was.

I do not know if I live in one of these neighborhoods...you did not identify the neighborhood of which you complain. I love living in New York, the greatest city in the world. I hope you find your niche.

Old 03-18-2017, 08:25 PM

139 posts, read 126,643 times
Why anyone cares what this guy's third world miserable mentality is. He hates it ALL!
Many of New York city's best neighborhoods are gritty. Is the city! Millions of people live work and visit the city's every corners daily!
Reminds me people from Chicago who come for the first time to the city. NYC is not Chicago! Is always been like that,and has improved a lot.
Might be gritty but far from third world. Why you in the City,Just GO!
I love New York
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City