Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 08:08 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
The housing projects will still be around. Those will never go away.
This is true of many NYC neighborhoods. UES, UWS, Chelsea, Downtown, LES, and in gentrified Brooklyn and Queens neighborhoods such as LIC and Williamsburg. Being close to housing projects or having to pass them is no big deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2017, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
I moved to Hamilton Heights in West Harlem about 15 years ago and wss pretty much the only white guy. Now a days the neighborhood is one of the nicest in the city with a great mix of professionals from many back grounds. With a great mix of bars and restaurants.

Thank god I bought when I did. The value of my place has doubled every three years.

Whites and blacks, living together, mass hysteria! How NYC should be.
In the past few years it's taken off. I've heard it's been made more famous by the Hamilton play. Also Columbia's expansion into Manhattanville is a factor as well.

Old 03-19-2017, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Im not sure what part of West Harlem you were in, but as per the 2010 census Hamilton Heights is about 33% African American.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hami...hts,_Manhattan

I am very interested in seeing the 2020 results when they come out. Remember, Harlem is a BIG part of Manhattan.
I too would be curious in seeing the 2020 census numbers, but no doubt Hamilton Heights has had a huge influx of white people. On Riverbank State Park I've even seen white couples with small children.

Old 03-20-2017, 02:42 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Maybe its just me, but I haven't seen such a severe demographic shift when walking the streets of Harlem. Granted, I last did so in October, but, at least where I was (in the 125th Street area and around Lenox and 123rd), it still seemed plenty black; I see much more diversification in, say, brownstone Bed Stuy (at least in the central parts of Bed Stuy) than I see in Harlem. I think part of the problem is that many in the discussion of "Harlem isn't majority black" are focusing on "greater Harlem," which goes as far south as 96th Street: As Population Shifts in Harlem, Blacks Lose Their Majority - The New York Times As the NYT article points out, though, greater Harlem (which runs from from East 96th Street and West 106th Street to West 155th Street) hasn't been majority black since at least 2000. But that wasn't news (certainly not to me) as I've always considered "central Harlem" the heart of "black Harlem" and, indeed, Harlem in general.

I'm not alone in how I define Harlem's boundaries.

From theroot.com:

Quote:
Instead, [longtime residents] say, the boundaries of Harlem traditionally start at 110th Street and run to 155th, river to river, minus the terrain east of 5th Avenue, running from 96th Street roughly to 125th Street. This multi-block parcel has long been considered East Harlem, and occupied over the years by Spanish and other ethnic whites with never much of a black presence.
Is Harlem No Longer Black?

The larger demographic shift in my view has been with Latinos (granted, Latino isn't a racial category), not non-Hispanic whites.

Old 03-20-2017, 02:44 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I too would be curious in seeing the 2020 census numbers, but no doubt Hamilton Heights has had a huge influx of white people. On Riverbank State Park I've even seen white couples with small children.
Yes, the 2010 Census numbers for Hamilton Heights supports my contention that much of the diversification of Harlem has been with Latinos, not non-Hispanic whites. This isn't to say that non-Hispanic whites aren't moving into Harlem, but, in terms of socioeconomic impact, Latinos fit more easily into what had long existed than many newer non-Hispanic whites do. Not to say that any of this is a bad thing. Just an observation of mine.

Old 03-20-2017, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Yes, the 2010 Census numbers for Hamilton Heights supports my contention that much of the diversification of Harlem has been with Latinos, not non-Hispanic whites. This isn't to say that non-Hispanic whites aren't moving into Harlem, but, in terms of socioeconomic impact, Latinos fit more easily into what had long existed than many newer non-Hispanic whites do. Not to say that any of this is a bad thing. Just an observation of mine.
I'd say a big influx of non Hispanic whites has come into Hamilton Heights in the last couple of years as the real estate industry has been promoting the area quite a bit. Latinos have been in Hamilton Heights for decades.

Old 05-30-2017, 03:39 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,161,779 times
Is soul food still around? Demographic can't be changing all that much?

Old 06-01-2017, 11:12 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,815,444 times
110th - 125th on west side, maybe

everywhere else, no

Old 06-02-2017, 12:19 PM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarbundy View Post
Is soul food still around? Demographic can't be changing all that much?
Yes, there are still a selection of soul food restaurants in the area.

Old 06-02-2017, 01:23 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,236,702 times
Quote:
I moved to Hamilton Heights

Thank god I bought when I did. .
Good call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City