Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 08:59 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyenne2134 View Post
Trump made many bad business deals and people still think he's a great businessman. Why is it so hard to believe he Sean Combs is one? Don't make me bring up one of the many reasons people in this post don't think he isn't (ebonics really) .
I would argue that it's the complete opposite; that because of his Sean Combs' racial background, people will go out of their way to defend him as being business savvy, as we have seen here, and give me the "how dare you question his abilities, or I must be crazy routine". Speaking frankly about people is always a problem, especially if they're of a certain background, but I've never been one to back down about my opinions on people and never will. Obama is constantly described as being SO smart, being a man with a biracial background, but I have never heard any other president referred to that way, and we've definitely have had some great ones historically. I wonder why (no need to answer, I already know).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2017, 09:04 AM

151 posts, read 154,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I would argue that it's the complete opposite; that because of his Sean Combs' racial background, people will go out of their way to defend him as being business savvy, as we have seen here, and give me the "how dare you question his abilities, or I must be crazy routine". Speaking frankly about people is always a problem, especially if they're of a certain background, but I've never been one to back down about my opinions on people and never will. Obama is constantly described as being SO smart, being a man with a biracial background, but I have never heard any other president referred to that way, and we've definitely have had some great ones historically. I wonder why (no need to answer, I already know).

You consistently prove how ignorant you are with every stroke of your keyboard.

Old 03-24-2017, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enomis88 View Post
You consistently prove how ignorant you are with every stroke of your keyboard.
And you constantly prove my point... You can't stand what I have to say because Combs is a black man and I'm not putting him on a pedestal. How dare me question him as a businessman. Well sorry I'm allowed to just like I question the business savvy of every other man. Your little "insults" won't make a difference.

Old 03-24-2017, 09:07 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times
Heres the link to the management of the school. PD is not part of the day to day operations. All this arguing about him is pointless.

Capital Preparatory Schools - Harlem

Old 03-24-2017, 09:07 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,720,048 times
Good for him. If it's a good school kids will benefit, if it's not then they won't get their charter renewed

Old 03-24-2017, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Heres the link to the management of the school. PD is not part of the day to day operations. All this arguing about him is pointless.

Capital Preparatory Schools - Harlem
Well let's see how it goes. We all deserve a fighting chance.

Old 03-24-2017, 12:53 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,148,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post

No need to answer because your racism is showing.

And Iv'e never heard Obama referenced as so smart except from white people who can't believe a black man was able to accomplish what he did.

As history showed us many viewed black people as not being smart, leads to those people being "surprised" and therefore its bought up more. In modern mild racism, its like when a Asian guy plays basketball well (Linsanity), and in return how black quarterbacks who are successful (Russell Wilson) are a rarity in football and receive alot of hype. Besides the "hype" in comes significant hate for no reason.

Im sure Sean Combs and Obama had to face more hate than privilege to prove they are smart and businessman more so than it being a positive for being the "few black men to be what they are". You know because smart black men just aren't common

Old 03-24-2017, 01:00 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Great news. While I don't approve of everything from Sean Combs' life, I will never criticize someone for doing the right thing. And, in this case, he is doing the right thing.

Old 03-24-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyenne2134 View Post
No need to answer because your racism is showing.

And Iv'e never heard Obama referenced as so smart except from white people who can't believe a black man was able to accomplish what he did.

As history showed us many viewed black people as not being smart, leads to those people being "surprised" and therefore its bought up more. In modern mild racism, its like when a Asian guy plays basketball well (Linsanity), and in return how black quarterbacks who are successful (Russell Wilson) are a rarity in football and receive alot of hype. Besides the "hype" in comes significant hate for no reason.

Im sure Sean Combs and Obama had to face more hate than privilege to prove they are smart and businessman more so than it being a positive for being the "few black men to be what they are". You know because smart black men just aren't common
Well you've just proven my point, so while we may seen to disagree, we very much are on the same page.

Old 03-24-2017, 10:15 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,736,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daaver View Post
This comment really sums things up. And to be clear, I don't think your side id ALL wrong, or that theirs is ALL right, by any means. The reality is that in the incident in question, Combs was charged with three counts of assault with a deadly weapon, one count of making terrorist threats and one count of battery. This wasn't some "street cred" incident, this was an incident at UCLA where Comb's tried to beat up a faculty member. You think it's funny, because, hey, just like on TV LOL LOL! Others think it's the sort of thing in reality that bodes poorly for him being involved in the education of children. I understand their concerns, while also understanding that you can hardly sum up the man's life with this one incident (or others like it).

That said, best of luck to his school and I hope it is a positive experience for the community and the children it serves.

ETA: BTW, I'm not against forgiving things in people's past. I'm not talking about something Combs did as a young man in the hood, excuse me, at Howard University though. I'm talking about something a 45yo man did at UCLA less than two years ago.
I don't think it's funny I just know how Sal is. I have been in the company of Sal on a few occasions, one through Teddy Atlas (who loves him and got him the UCLA job) and. through his sister in law Desiree who I grew up with in the same neighborhood and still see her a few times a year at social gatherings. Let's just say Sal is an acquired taste. Everything is black or white to him no gray area. My Father asked Sal about training and he flat out told him he was too old and broken down to train anymore. I confronted him about it. Even though I joked around with him about it but I let know he hurt my Dad's feelings. He didn't mean to be rude about it. He is just straight forward and if you don't understand how he is you're gonna get mad at him at some point. I was laughing in my last post because one, I heard all about the Combs incident from Dessie and I can only imagine him dressing down Combs with his usual demeanor and not giving a rats butt about it and that's why Diddy went Puffy on him. It had nothing to so with his kid he felt Sal disrespected him when Sal was just doing his job. If you notice Sal is still with UCLA. Truth be told if Sal defended himself he would have torn Combs apart. Sal is NO joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City