Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 10:19 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,147,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Well you've just proven my point, so while we may seen to disagree, we very much are on the same page.
you obviously didn't catch the sarcasm, and thats okay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2017, 06:16 AM

857 posts, read 1,200,149 times
Quote:
Mark Zuckerberg is a nerd. Puffy Daddy is just a street thug with money. A nerd has book smarts. A thug has street smarts.
you obviously know little about puff daddy. he was never a street hoodlum. at most his father (who was killed when he was 3 yrs old) was rumored to have been associated with nicky Barnes' crime org waaayyyy back in the 60s and 70s. But Puffy? naw. he grew up in Mt vernon graduated mt st michaels academy attended howard but dropped out to be a music mogul. all these years later its clear that hes done something right with all the success hes attained. Hes a ruthless music industry exec from what ive heard but a street thug? naw. Now if you were talking abou Jay-Z maino uncle murda and numerous other rappers with drug dealer/street hoodlum pasts youd have a point. Puffy is not one of those guys.

Old 03-25-2017, 07:45 AM

857 posts, read 1,200,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyenne2134 View Post
No experience and education is needed for President. So whats the difference. Its always been about money
smartest thing ill probably ever read on city data.....

Old 03-25-2017, 08:11 AM

811 posts, read 550,335 times
Quote:
You're calling him a businessman? Don't make me choke. The guy is a thug. A hustler yes... A businessman? I have a hard time with that.
You've been for multiple pages just repeating the word "thug" like a mantra. For someone who seems to dislike this man you seem to know a lot about him. Did he take your basketball one day when you were a kid? It sounds like a personal animosity you have for him.

Just call him what you actually want to call him and stop with the "thug" word and call it a day.

At the end of the day, if your kids aren't the ones going why do you care?

Old 03-25-2017, 06:07 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizualizax90 View Post
You've been for multiple pages just repeating the word "thug" like a mantra. For someone who seems to dislike this man you seem to know a lot about him. Did he take your basketball one day when you were a kid? It sounds like a personal animosity you have for him.

Just call him what you actually want to call him and stop with the "thug" word and call it a day.

At the end of the day, if your kids aren't the ones going why do you care?
I'm entitled to voice my opinion. You don't have to like it, and there's no other word for him but a thug. He's gone around trying to portray himself as one. What civilized person attacks their kid's coach?

Old 03-26-2017, 06:46 PM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Truthfully I don't have high hopes for this either, unless he hires some brilliant administrators with an excellent track record in education and gives them total authority in running the school. If he tries to run things without having any kind of track record at all (he's never taught, likely not up to date with the issues in education) it is likely to be an epic failure.

Zuckerberg, who also has no degree, gave a lot of money to Corey Booker's effort to fix education in Newark and it was a total disaster. Zuckerberg gave money towards a ridiculous charade for good PR,and the fact that he really didn't know anything about education showed. The money never touched teachers or schools, it was all spent on consultants.

I don't have anything against Puff Daddy or Zuckerberg. But successfully running a school or doing education reform is very different from being a music/film producer or being a tech CEO.
Well at least they tried/trying. Course it could've been just an ego trip/publicity stunt. Or it could be that they had/have good intentions. It maybe naive but I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt.

I don't like Puff Daddy or P. Diddy or whatever he calls himself nowadays at all but I can picture even someone like him wanting to do something good for the community. There are far more worse monsters in this world.

Last edited by Aeran; 03-26-2017 at 07:00 PM..

Old 03-26-2017, 07:01 PM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Great news. While I don't approve of everything from Sean Combs' life, I will never criticize someone for doing the right thing. And, in this case, he is doing the right thing.
I agree.

Old 03-26-2017, 07:07 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,963,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Well at least they tried/trying. Course it could've been just an ego trip/publicity stunt. Or it could be that they had/have good intentions. It maybe naive but I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt.

I don't like Puff Daddy or P. Diddy or whatever he calls himself nowadays at all but I can picture even someone like him wanting to do something good for the community. There are far more worse monsters in this world.
No, I'm definitely not criticizing Gates, Zuckerberg, or Combs for trying. I was just saying these types of businessmen don't have the best track record for this kind of reform (because they have no background in education), and IF Combs is successful (he could be, who knows) it will be because he hired talented education administrators and listened to them. I don't know what's going to happen. I don't have high hopes for this, but I would never hate on anyone and call them names for trying.

Old 03-26-2017, 08:43 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,734,707 times
I give them credit for trying but they have agendas as well. On Combs charter school website there is a line about teaching and encouraging Social justice. ie....anarchy and rioting. How about teaching the ABC's and 1 2 3's, maybe teach them how to read and leave the white man is evil and all the blame for the communities ill's commentary out of it. Sadly, that won't happen Puffy will line his pockets with state, federal and private money and use the school as a backdrop to push his other ventures. Like I said earlier, it's business and nothing more.

Old 03-26-2017, 08:54 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,355,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
No, I'm definitely not criticizing Gates, Zuckerberg, or Combs for trying. I was just saying these types of businessmen don't have the best track record for this kind of reform (because they have no background in education), and IF Combs is successful (he could be, who knows) it will be because he hired talented education administrators and listened to them. I don't know what's going to happen. I don't have high hopes for this, but I would never hate on anyone and call them names for trying.
Many with a background in education suck at it. Just like in any profession.

Ever heard of the 80/20 rule? If you've worked anywhere besides academia, you realize that this rule holds true and sometimes it's even 90/10. In academia it's probably like 99/1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City