Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 03:32 PM

987 posts, read 824,179 times

Advertisements

So here's the story. My nephew(22 years old) is currently living at home in Suffolk county(actually 3 houses from me) and works full time for the Yankees at yankee stadium. He's also going for his masters 2 days a week at Hofstra. He wants to move to city but can't afford it right now. I work on 96th and 1st and wouldnt mind staying in city 2-3 days a week as my commute is about 2 hours each way.

I know as you go further above 100th st on either the east or west side it gets cheaper. Whats a descent neighborhood that's affordable somewhere in the 100's. Would like to keep it around $1500 for a 1br We don't care if it's dominated by one ethnicity or another. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2017, 03:53 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,089,772 times
He should just concentrate on finishing his Masters. Living in NYC can wait no need to add more expense.

Old 04-02-2017, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
He should just concentrate on finishing his Masters. Living in NYC can wait no need to add more expense.
The NYC is going to help with rent..about 90% and I'm doing for me as well. Living 20 min from work a few days a week instead of 2 hours will help him but I don't want to get off topic. Thnaks

Old 04-02-2017, 04:38 PM

983 posts, read 932,525 times
You aren't going to get a 1br on the UES or UWS for 1500, period. Maybe you could get a studio in east harlem.

Since he's working at Yankee Stadium anyway, I'd recommend living pretty far up in the Bronx, near the end of the 4 or D train. You'll save quite a bit and it's okay there. Won't be 20 minutes to 96st and 1st but you can't have everything

Old 04-02-2017, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iammax View Post
You aren't going to get a 1br on the UES or UWS for 1500, period. Maybe you could get a studio in east harlem.

Since he's working at Yankee Stadium anyway, I'd recommend living pretty far up in the Bronx, near the end of the 4 or D train. You'll save quite a bit and it's okay there. Won't be 20 minutes to 96st and 1st but you can't have everything
Thanks....that's an option. Anywhere upper and near yankee stadium we are open to.

Old 04-03-2017, 05:56 AM

151 posts, read 154,559 times
Quote:
Except that's not what the op asked. Why do y'all insist putting in your unwanted 2 cents? Yes: back on topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iammax View Post

That's just not true. There are several one bedrooms in Central/west Harlem right off the abcd (in extension one stop where you could transfer to the actual green line) literally less than a few stops away from Yankee stadium. Actually in brand new buildings as well by one local park off the top of my head I've passed. Word of advice: never say never. JusT hit the ground running and you'd be surprised at the gems that turn up.

Old 04-03-2017, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enomis88 View Post
Except that's not what the op asked. Why do y'all insist putting in your unwanted 2 cents? Yes: back on topic.

That's just not true. There are several one bedrooms in Central/west Harlem right off the abcd (in extension one stop where you could transfer to the actual green line) literally less than a few stops away from Yankee stadium. Actually in brand new buildings as well by one local park off the top of my head I've passed. Word of advice: never say never. JusT hit the ground running and you'd be surprised at the gems that turn up.
Thank you!!

Old 04-03-2017, 08:37 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,089,772 times
Quote:

It's a forum. I can express my opinion. I am making sure OP has seen all angles and not just jump into something without thinking about all the scenarios.

Unless uncle OP is ok with his nephew living for free since "He wants to move to city but can't afford it right now." Uncle OP will be paying rent, co-ed, internet, tv, groceries, etc so unless uncle OP is rich and has a lot of disposable $$ then this might be a bad move on his part.

Also, Uncle and nephew sharing a one bedroom will be an odd arraignment. What is the nephew wants to bring a hot young latina to have sex with.. will uncle leave the room and sleep in the living room or will they tag team? What if young nephew starts burning his cash on big booty snowflakes will uncle cover all the expenses??

Oh Tiddays!!!

Old 04-03-2017, 09:02 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,618,066 times
Quote:
It's a forum. I can express my opinion. I am making sure OP has seen all angles and not just jump into something without thinking about all the scenarios.

Unless uncle OP is ok with his nephew living for free since "He wants to move to city but can't afford it right now." Uncle OP will be paying rent, co-ed, internet, tv, groceries, etc so unless uncle OP is rich and has a lot of disposable $$ then this might be a bad move on his part.

Also, Uncle and nephew sharing a one bedroom will be an odd arraignment. What is the nephew wants to bring a hot young latina to have sex with.. will uncle leave the room and sleep in the living room or will they tag team? What if young nephew starts burning his cash on big booty snowflakes will uncle cover all the expenses??

Oh Tiddays!!!
I need to hang out with you haha.

I second the Bronx suggestion. Can be economical and would shave that dreadful 2 hour commute. Bedford Park above Bedford Park Ave and Norwood aren't bad. I'd even suggest Morris Park/Pelham Parkway along the 5, though I don't know much about that line (only ever see the 4 and the 6, even in the Bronx).

Old 04-03-2017, 11:28 AM

983 posts, read 932,525 times
Quote:

Except Central Harlem is not the UES/UWS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City