Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 03:32 PM

151 posts, read 153,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
English, German, Spanish and Italian. Some French and Portuguese too. Something called life and living in various places. That and my ethnic background helps.

Unlike some people, I've been to the mother country and have lived there. I doubt you can say the same. I know my roots. Do you? If not, the jokes on you.

The NAACP really needs to face reality and stop trying to sue every time they think the playing field isn't level enough for them.

I'm literally first generation American. Try again oyinbo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2017, 03:33 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,875,202 times
This thread went off on a weird tangent. I believe the case is the material for admission to specialized high schools are not taught consistently across the NYC public school system (same grade level) before taking the exam. The disparity comes when majority of Black and Hispanic schools do not cover the material by the grade level required to take the test. I believe it widely known that the asian and white community are heavily into private tutoring in order to supplement the lackluster performance of NYC public schools.

For private tutoring: white community being more affluent can afford expensive one on one tutoring. Asian's being less affluent tend to congregate into after school classrooms taught by immigrant teacher who knows the material (more affordable).

I feel most of the posters here ignore the high performing hispanic and black student who by no fault of their own was subjected to lower standard schools and material due to the area and social economic circumstance they grew up in. It is very common to graduate with a high gpa and be asked to take remedial classes in college due to attending a low performing high school.

Last edited by NYer23; 03-23-2017 at 03:52 PM..

Old 03-23-2017, 03:48 PM

37,022 posts, read 39,094,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
This thread went off on a weird tangent. I believe the case is the material for admission to specialized high schools are not taught consistently across the NYC public school system (same grade level) before taking the exam. The disparity comes when majority of Black and Hispanic schools do not cover the material by the grade level required to take the test. I believe it widely known that the asian and white community are heavily into private tutoring in order to supplement the lackluster performance of NYC public schools.

For private tutoring: white community being more affluent can afford expensive one on one tutoring. Asian's being less affluent tend to congregate into after school classrooms taught by immigrant teacher who knows the material (more affordable).
We agree on where the disparity comes from and that's why I think suing to change the admissions process isn't a great idea. Changing the admissions process for high school is something that does little to address far greater underlying issues and varying qualities of schools and funding for schools in different neighborhoods. It's a far better idea to get the city to commit to improving primary school education in order to improve the chances of Black and Hispanic students to be accepted.

I believe the city at one point had piloted a program where certain schools in the Bronx had a much lengthened day and school year which ended up greatly bolstering the results of the kids in the program versus peers who were not. What ever happened to that?

Old 03-23-2017, 03:52 PM

12,751 posts, read 8,219,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enomis88 View Post
I'm literally first generation American. Try again oyinbo.
Is that supposed to be a racial slur being hurled in my direction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
We agree on where the disparity comes from and that's why I think suing to change the admissions process isn't a great idea. Changing the admissions process for high school is something that does little to address far greater underlying issues and varying qualities of schools and funding for schools in different neighborhoods. It's a far better idea to get the city to commit to improving primary school education in order to improve the chances of Black and Hispanic students to be accepted.

I believe the city at one point had piloted a program where certain schools in the Bronx had a much lengthened day and school year which ended up greatly bolstering the results of the kids in the program versus peers who were not. What ever happened to that?
The City should consider going back to tutoring for Black and Brown kids, but find a way to get rid of the massive fraud that happened previously.

Last edited by pierrepont7731; 03-23-2017 at 04:32 PM..

Old 03-23-2017, 04:01 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,889,069 times
Quote:
English, German, Spanish and Italian. Some French and Portuguese too. Something called life and living in various places. That and my ethnic background helps.

Unlike some people, I've been to the mother country and have lived there. I doubt you can say the same. I know my roots. Do you? If not, the jokes on you.

The NAACP really needs to face reality and stop trying to sue every time they think the playing field isn't level enough for them.
Why? For starters they get donation for them to continue their mission, and each time when win a lawsuit or otherwise are successful, then they get more donations. So why on Earth would they stop with this kind of track record?

Do you read and write in all of those languages, as well? Basically what's your level of fluency?

Old 03-23-2017, 04:05 PM

Quote:

Those issues are never going to be addressed 100%. That costs money, and being that federal money for such efforts may dry up, I wouldn't expect big changes. Those high performing Black or Hispanic studies who have not covered all the materials on the test and therefore won't test as well, are they able to do the actual work at the specialized high schools? Because if they are, then there's no real reason to keep them out.

I don't think anyone thinks it's a good idea to admit people who are incapable of doing the work.

Old 03-23-2017, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Is that supposed be a racial slur being hurled in my direction?

The City should consider going back to tutoring for Black and Brown kids, but find a way to get rid of the massive fraud that happened previously.
Who's going to pay for this? With federal contributions across the board being cut, let's just say the city won't be swimming with money. The Republicans haven't YET agreed on the size of the healthcare cuts and while the vote was tabled for another day, this is hardly over and significant healthcare cuts alone would hurt the city's budget. Not to mention the other stuff that's at risk.

Old 03-23-2017, 04:09 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,875,202 times
Quote:
I think it had issues with cost/funding and participation as it was considered optional and not mandatory.

Similar to housing when you concentrate a group of poor people you create a ghetto. You have the same impact in schools, when you concentrate a group of poor hispanic/black students you have a added cost to bring them up to speed. Charter schools are very blatant about kicking any student out to public school that going to impact their bottom line. They are able to pay out expensive salaries to their principals due to the fact they retain the least expensive students to teach.

Old 03-23-2017, 04:14 PM

12,751 posts, read 8,219,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Why? For starters they get donation for them to continue their mission, and each time when win a lawsuit or otherwise are successful, then they get more donations. So why on Earth would they stop with this kind of track record?

Do you read and write in all of those languages, as well? Basically what's your level of fluency?
How about because it isn't a good idea to file baseless lawsuits...

Yep, though my German is a bit rusty. I'm fluent in the others and write them. French and Portuguese I understand fairly well. I use at least three of them regularly (English, Spanish and Italian), and no, I am not Swiss.

Old 03-23-2017, 04:22 PM

Quote:
How about because it isn't a good idea to file baseless lawsuits...

Yep, though my German is a bit rusty. I'm fluent in the others and write them. French and Portuguese I understand fairly well. I use at least three of them regularly (English, Spanish and Italian), and no, I am not Swiss.
The courts have agreed with many of their lawsuits, so they aren't baseless. Again since they are reasonably successful, why would they quit? Who ever quits when things are working out well for them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City