Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 06:47 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,597,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
You can't go by skin tone. I always look at the features. I know plenty of "light" Puerto Ricans that can pass, but they have black in them. Puerto Ricans and Dominicans tend to be mixed with black and taino and of course Spanish. Just a question of how much mixing. Puerto Rico at some point had other Europeans come over like the French, but that doesn't change the amount of mixing that took place. True of most Latin American countries.
Dominicans are usually black or mixed, but plenty of Puerto Ricans are white/of European descent and not mixed.

And certainly many Latin American countries (Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Mexico) have plenty of white residents who are not mixed with black or indigenous people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2017, 06:58 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,478,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
What's the difference?
Italians are of Italian ancestry and therefore white, while Puerto Ricans are a mix of European (predominately Spanish but also French and Italian), West African, and some indigenous.

Plenty of Puerto Ricans could pass for Italian, but I would say most have a distinct look.

Old 03-25-2017, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Italians are of Italian ancestry and therefore white, while Puerto Ricans are a mix of European (predominately Spanish but also French and Italian), West African, and some indigenous.

Plenty of Puerto Ricans could pass for Italian, but I would say most have a distinct look.
You think so?

I often find them indistinguishable.

Old 03-25-2017, 07:14 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,478,550 times
Quote:
You think so?

I often find them indistinguishable.
Often but not usually in my experience.

Also, there are a lot of people who are half Puerto Rican, half Italian.

Old 03-25-2017, 07:17 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,312,562 times
Quote:

Many Italians have Tunisian ancestry. And much more than just that. Remember, Italy is a peninsula sticking out into the seas so lots of traders, merchants and migrants came and gone over its history.

Old 03-25-2017, 07:38 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,288,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Many Italians have Tunisian ancestry. And much more than just that. Remember, Italy is a peninsula sticking out into the seas so lots of traders, merchants and migrants came and gone over its history.
Italians are very mixed, especially Sicilians. Some are mixed with Spanish (from Spain), Greek, and other mixtures. Then of course there were the moors in the Southern part of Italy and Sicily. Italians thus have a range of looks, eye color, hair color and skin tone.

Old 03-25-2017, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Often but not usually in my experience.

Also, there are a lot of people who are half Puerto Rican, half Italian.
I noticed this.
Why do Puerto Ricans and Italians tend to marry each other?

Old 03-25-2017, 09:01 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
Quote:
I noticed this.
Why do Puerto Ricans and Italians tend to marry each other?
Puerto Ricans marry anyone. I knew two Puerto Rican twins. One married a black guy, while the other married an Italian.

Old 03-25-2017, 09:05 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,750,401 times
Quote:
Dominicans are usually black or mixed, but plenty of Puerto Ricans are white/of European descent and not mixed.

And certainly many Latin American countries (Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Mexico) have plenty of white residents who are not mixed with black or indigenous people.
Quote:

True, my grandfather emigrated from Corsica to PR then to the states

Old 03-25-2017, 09:20 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
True, my grandfather emigrated from Corsica to PR then to the states
I know of a Puerto Rican who is related to Bonaparte family. Corsica was originally controlled by Genoa which I'd in Italy. Genoa was given to the French. Plenty of Puerto Ricans have Italian ancestry through Corsica.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: