Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 12:01 PM

6,682 posts, read 6,026,463 times

Advertisements

I don't qualify to live in these apartments as I make too much, but, I did apply just to experiment with log numbers, and my log number is a high 39,xxx.

I found that the longer you wait to apply, the larger your log number will be. This has been my experience with these lotteries. To get a low log number one must apply very early on in the game!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2017, 12:35 PM

100 posts, read 175,846 times
I don't think that's true. I've applied on the first day and the last I still get high log#s. I'm sure it's purely random.

Old 03-28-2017, 12:36 PM

965 posts, read 1,113,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
I don't qualify to live in these apartments as I make too much, but, I did apply just to experiment with log numbers, and my log number is a high 39,xxx.

I found that the longer you wait to apply, the larger your log number will be. This has been my experience with these lotteries. To get a low log number one must apply very early on in the game!

This makes me question the "lottery" portion of the program. I was under the assumption that the numbers were assigned at random, and then processed in order of log number.

Example:

Jason applies seconds after the lottery opens and is assigned a number of 12,984.
Sharkeisha applies seconds before the lottery closes and is assigned a number of 13.

If it's based by when you apply, and in order of application, why do they call it a lottery? Meh... I'm probably thinking too much into it.

Old 03-28-2017, 12:36 PM

250 posts, read 378,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGuy99 View Post
I don't think that's true. I've applied on the first day and the last I still get high log#s. I'm sure it's purely random.
It's definitely random

Old 03-28-2017, 12:53 PM

236 posts, read 446,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadeonHD4250 View Post
This makes me question the "lottery" portion of the program. I was under the assumption that the numbers were assigned at random, and then processed in order of log number.

Example:

Jason applies seconds after the lottery opens and is assigned a number of 12,984.
Sharkeisha applies seconds before the lottery closes and is assigned a number of 13.

If it's based by when you apply, and in order of application, why do they call it a lottery? Meh... I'm probably thinking too much into it.
I think log generation is random and also the people they call they pick random logs and then when processing them after interviews they separate them by pref groups and then all logs picked and reviewed are processed in order. I.e. They could choose me and my log is 20,000 and yours is 13,000. They can pick us both at random then if we get past the interview and processed further it's in numerical order.

Old 03-28-2017, 01:02 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,885,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadeonHD4250 View Post

Example:

lmao Sharkeisha?!

Old 03-28-2017, 02:53 PM

1,258 posts, read 1,462,187 times
Quote:

Not true. They don't even assign numbers until the lottery closes. It makes no difference when you apply as long as it's before the deadline. If you're seeing some pattern in your applications, it's mere coincidence.

Old 03-28-2017, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving415 View Post
Not true. They don't even assign numbers until the lottery closes. It makes no difference when you apply as long as it's before the deadline. If you're seeing some pattern in your applications, it's mere coincidence.

Agreed

Old 03-28-2017, 04:53 PM

6,682 posts, read 6,026,463 times
I'm still suspicious.

Old 03-28-2017, 04:57 PM

Quote:
I'm still suspicious.
I've been filling these out for a long time and the moment you get a low log and have community preference you know you're set. You'll be called within a month or two. They do everything based on log number and your income bracket on the application.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: