Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 02:18 PM

151 posts, read 154,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
grindr ain't tindr

I know. But it's certainly not far off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2017, 06:20 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normaldude View Post
1 in 4 women in their 40s are currently taking prescription anti-depressants.

More than 1 in 10 take antidepressants

Maybe American women aren't as smart as you think they are.
Maybe American women (and men) just like drugs. LOL

And plenty of people like to be single. Or have sex with more than one partner.
The only love that's forever is parent/child love.

Old 03-31-2017, 06:22 PM

Quote:
It makes a lot of sense, if you're a long-term thinker.

You are only here today because for thousands of years, your ancestors sacrificed their lives for future generations.

When an empire starts valuing personal fun over marriage & family, that's when the empire goes into decline.
The society changed. My great great grandmother has 14 kids, and yes this was common thousands of years ago as well as the mortality of children was high. Large families aren't viable today, so just because my ancestors did something doesn't mean it's good for me. They were farmers too. I'm not interested in that, either. I live very differently than my ancestors.

Old 03-31-2017, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enomis88 View Post
It's not about being "too smart" - it's just the women don't have as many rights as Americans. That's rubbish of you to say that.
And it maybe they didn't fight as hard for those rights either. The only way they'll get them is if they continue to fight for them.

Traditional marriages often give men unpaid maids.

Old 03-31-2017, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
grindr ain't tindr
Aren't they owned by the same people?

Old 03-31-2017, 07:11 PM

11,636 posts, read 12,703,351 times
You should watch the movie, Meet the Patels. https://www.moviefone.com/movie/meet...20058750/main/

Old 04-01-2017, 01:09 AM

2,919 posts, read 2,580,563 times
Default Explains African-Americans predicament

Quote:
It makes a lot of sense, if you're a long-term thinker.

You are only here today because for thousands of years, your ancestors sacrificed their lives for future generations.

When an empire starts valuing personal fun over marriage & family, that's when the empire goes into decline.
The bolded blue -- absolutely true. I'm not thinking of east Indians but of my own demographic, African-Americans. It doesn't have to be an empire though, it can be a society or community. When a group of people value their own personal fun or personal agenda (just wanted sex, just wanted a baby, or other selfish reasons or lacking of thinking of the consequences and how those consequences will affect the child), then that community will decline: high crime, high level of violence, high incarceration rates, low self-esteem, hopelessness, lack of insight (for example males who only think they can make a living by becoming a rapper, pro athlete, or drug dealer), children with behavior problems, distressed women, children who don't know their father or never even met their father, siblings with various fathers and mothers, men and boys who are dependent instead of independent, gender role reversals - the women are known for being strong but the men are not, large percentage in poverty or dependent on the government, young people repeating the self-defeating cycle of their parents, etc. The 70% OOW birthrate (in urban areas) among African-Americans is exhibit A of what what I've bolded. I hate to say it but the truth is the truth regardless of who it doing it.

Old 04-01-2017, 01:23 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
I live in a Queens neighborhood that has had an influx of Indians the last decade. A page of an Indian newspaper must have blown around and ended up in my yard. It had the personals section and there were several ads from Indian parents seeking brides and grooms for their mid-20s children, one who was about to be an MD and another who was an accountant at one of the big CPA firms. I've heard about arranged marriages but I didn't think in this day and age an adult NYC Professional would have their parents look for spouses especially in a newspaper. Is this common?
It's arranged MEETING.
Not arranged YOU MUST MARRY THIS PERSON.

The ads help weed out the undesirable or inappropriate/incompatible folks.

Old 04-01-2017, 01:26 AM

151 posts, read 154,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
And it maybe they didn't fight as hard for those rights either. The only way they'll get them is if they continue to fight for them.

Traditional marriages often give men unpaid maids.

Cultural differences.

Old 04-01-2017, 05:33 AM

4,198 posts, read 4,084,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
It's arranged MEETING.
Not arranged YOU MUST MARRY THIS PERSON.

The ads help weed out the undesirable or inappropriate/incompatible folks.
The ads were in the classifieds under the headings "Seeking Brides" and "Seeking Bridegrooms". They were not in a dating section or for something like match.com No one said anything about forced marriage but if you have parents placing ads describing the criteria for a marriage partner and reviewing responses it's much more serious than "arranged meeting" (whatever that is).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City