Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 01:08 PM

4,192 posts, read 4,069,968 times

Advertisements

I live in a Queens neighborhood that has had an influx of Indians the last decade. A page of an Indian newspaper must have blown around and ended up in my yard. It had the personals section and there were several ads from Indian parents seeking brides and grooms for their mid-20s children, one who was about to be an MD and another who was an accountant at one of the big CPA firms. I've heard about arranged marriages but I didn't think in this day and age an adult NYC Professional would have their parents look for spouses especially in a newspaper. Is this common?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2017, 01:21 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,045,649 times
To the best of my knowledge all the H1Bs from India that I've worked with had arranged marriages. Though most of them had it arranged from their parents back in India which made sense since they were only here because they had work visas. So no surprise that the tradition has carried over. Even knew some that were very reluctant to be married yet they still went through with it. Indians in general don't integrate as much as you'd think except at work. They might wear suits and even shoot the s**t with their bosses at work about sports, but don't be surprised to find them in their skirts at home watching their mail order wives doing all the house work.

It should also be noted that I only know of one instance that ended in divorce. For the most part the parents are pretty good at pairing up the brides and grooms. I guess this is also because they're paired up according to their social caste as well as their current economic status resulting in more commonalities than picking up a stranger at the bar.

Last edited by bumblebyz; 03-30-2017 at 02:00 PM..

Old 03-30-2017, 11:38 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,883,048 times
I say yes.

Old 03-31-2017, 01:09 AM

124 posts, read 190,604 times
Yes, and they have a very low divorce rate, and low non-marital birth rate.

Maybe banging random sluts on Tinder isn't the best way to find a stable life partner.

Old 03-31-2017, 01:43 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,937,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normaldude View Post
Yes, and they have a very low divorce rate, and low non-marital birth rate.

Maybe banging random sluts on Tinder isn't the best way to find a stable life partner.
Indian societies also disproportionately abort female fetuses. It's an oppressive, patriarchial system and people are staying together due to social pressure and because other people make that decision for them.

Not everyone wants to get married, and if someone likes to bang random sluts on Tinder, it's their right to live that lifestyle if they want to.

American women anyway are too smart. Abuse happens a lot in Indian societies and they've allowed hit to stay under the rug. Hit your American wife, you are getting arrested, severed with divorce papers and you are going to be paying out a lot of money in alimony. I could even see a manipulative woman starting the fight just so she could get some bruises and cash in. There are bad people in both genders, and valuing "marriage" over the actual happiness and health of people is just plain ridiculous.

Old 03-31-2017, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Indian societies also disproportionately abort female fetuses. It's an oppressive, patriarchial system and people are staying together due to social pressure and because other people make that decision for them.

Not everyone wants to get married, and if someone likes to bang random sluts on Tinder, it's their right to live that lifestyle if they want to.
And with current American culture, we now have a 51% divorce rate, and 41% non-marital birth rate. Children born to single mothers are far more likely to become murderers. Children of divorce have a much higher rate of depression, suicide, drug addiction. Children raised by their married biological parents do the best.

In fact, if you look at thousands of years of human history around the world, all wealthy empires were built by an "oppressive, patriarchial system" and family "social pressure". The decline of the Roman Empire happened after the implementation of no fault divorce, the collapse of marriage, and the rise of debauchery.

100% of wealthy empires are built by ruthless patriarchial people, with their children being raised by their married biological parents. 100%.

Old 03-31-2017, 02:57 AM

Quote:
American women anyway are too smart.
1 in 4 women in their 40s are currently taking prescription anti-depressants.

More than 1 in 10 take antidepressants

Maybe American women aren't as smart as you think they are.

Old 03-31-2017, 03:05 AM

Quote:
There are bad people in both genders, and valuing "marriage" over the actual happiness and health of people is just plain ridiculous.
It makes a lot of sense, if you're a long-term thinker.

You are only here today because for thousands of years, your ancestors sacrificed their lives for future generations.

When an empire starts valuing personal fun over marriage & family, that's when the empire goes into decline.

Old 03-31-2017, 03:34 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,225,885 times
Lol one of those adult children might be an ex coworker of mine. In her mid to late twenties and she was still living with her parents. She hated it and I could tell she was having some internal struggles between wanting to be more independent and break out of her culture some but also not wanting to disappoint her family.

Old 03-31-2017, 07:19 AM

151 posts, read 154,280 times
Quote:

American women anyway are too smart. Abuse happens a lot in Indian societies and they've allowed hit to stay under the rug. Hit your American wife, you are getting arrested, severed with divorce papers and you are going to be paying out a lot of money in alimony. I could even see a manipulative woman starting the fight just so she could get some bruises and cash in. There are bad people in both genders, and valuing "marriage" over the actual happiness and health of people is just plain ridiculous.

It's not about being "too smart" - it's just the women don't have as many rights as Americans. That's rubbish of you to say that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City