Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 09:58 PM

39 posts, read 255,204 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I will be moving to New York in August to start a new job in the Bronx. I am trying to find information on safe, affordable areas in the Bronx. I am going to try to give as much information as possible so that I can get accurate suggestions. I will be working off of 198 East 161st. I don't have any kids or pets. I have a car but I don't know if I will be bringing it with me. It just depends on where I find a place. I can spend between $1000-$1200 on rent. Since I will be working in the Bronx, I would like to live there, but I am open to living places outside of the area. I am willing to commute using public transportation, but I don't want it to be too far out of the way (an hour is ok). The most important thing to me in a neighborhood is safety. I would also like to move some place that is relatively close to grocery stores, banks, etc. I am not a big partier, so clubs and bars are not a relevant factor in my decision.

Also, I am a black, female. I didn't think this was a major factor. However, in a response I got to a similar post like this, the person told me that some areas are not good depending on your race. So I guess I might as well include that in here.

Lastly, I would like to avoid getting a broker if possible, as I have limited funds. Is it realistic of me to think I can find a nice apartment without a broker? I have looked on Craig's List.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 10:56 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,047,955 times
E 161st is the Concourse neighborhood. That is a bad neighborhood. But most places in the Bronx are. With that price range look up north. Maybe Kingsbridge, Bedford park or Norwood. Some places are sketchy in the above neighborhoods but in terms of Bronx hood's, they're safer. You get to 161st relatively quick. If you want to look at other hoods more to the south, try eastern part of Soundview, Castle Hill or Parkchester. Those have hot blocks too but there are quiet spots aswell.

Old 03-05-2008, 11:10 PM

85 posts, read 415,485 times
Definitely don't look at living in the vicinity of where you are going to work. 198 is the courthouse so I figure you are working in that capacity, a lot of ADA's commute from Manhattan, which is close. You may want to look at the Upper East Side. For the Bronx, try Pelham parkway, Pelham Bay, Morris park, Westchester Square, Riverdale, Throgs Neck. There are a few other areas in the Bronx but the above are relatively safe.

Good Luck!

Last edited by jt1775; 03-05-2008 at 11:19 PM..

Old 03-07-2008, 08:46 PM

1,526 posts, read 5,603,603 times
Hey there

Haven't visited here much in awhile, but do live in the Northwest Bronx. The courthouse area is considered the south bronx, and one plus is that you are very close to Manhattan by subway. There are also some areas that are becoming more gentrified for better or worse but it does mean there are a few more cultural options there--Bronx museum, Bruckner Bar (haven't been there), etc.

The Bronx still gives the best bang for your buck in terms of rent and space, but check out the building, the immediate neighborhood and so forth. One of my primary requirements would be close access to a grocery store and public transit.

If you're not looking for a heavy bar/club scene, living in the Bronx won't be as much f a "sensory deprivation" (or cultural) as it might for those seeking a less "quiet" lifestyle.

Good luck in your search...

Old 03-07-2008, 08:52 PM

1,526 posts, read 5,603,603 times
Also, you might just try checking with the super of a building that looks promising. If there's a vacancy they will know about it, and you can avoid broker's predatory fees this way. Ask him and any tenants you encounter for the lowdown on the building and hood. Avoid any buildings that look badly maintained. I'd avoid any areas down isolated side streets (well, at least in my area) and again, proximity to subways (like as close to your apt as possible and good grocery stores (major chains).

Some buildings have laundry rooms, but you may or may not want to use them, so check around for laundrymats and anything else you consider essential. Take a walk around the area to get a feel for the place and see if the vibes seem ok. Trust your gut.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:21 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,833,975 times
That area is also easily accessible to upper Manhattan by bus. I commute from upper Washington Heights (195th & Broadway) to roughly 156th & Westchester (just a little farther east from where you'll be working), and it's approximately an hour.

Inwood (the far northwestern area of Manhattan) is mostly safe, still relatively affordable, and you should be able to find a place in your price range.

Best of luck!

Old 03-07-2008, 09:46 PM

842 posts, read 4,309,145 times
Default If you don't bring a car

You can live in the Upper East Side but for $1200 you can find a closet studio. If you want 1 bedroom for $1000, look into Bedford Park, Norwood, or Woodlawn

Old 03-09-2008, 03:08 PM

242 posts, read 926,947 times
Check out riverdale, north riverdale, woodlawn, morris park, pelham parkway, pelham bay, country club, and throgs neck.

Old 03-09-2008, 07:32 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,250,085 times
My husband teaches in the South Bronx and like Squeezeboxgal, takes the bus over from Washington Heights. Apartments are quite large here but there isn't much nightlife for singles.

There's a pretty active forum here.

Old 03-09-2008, 08:59 PM

67 posts, read 319,641 times
Id look into Riverdale in the Bronx, the boroughs best neighborhood. Very safe but can be expensive. Definitly give it a look though, winding streets, huge mansions, great schools, historic apartment buildings, shopping, restaurants and close to lots of public transportation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City