Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 12:26 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
Texas also has the greatest amount of minimum wage jobs in the country.
I'll take quality of growth over amount any day.
Do you have proof of this? Texas is also cheap, has lower taxes and is more business friendly than NYS and NYC. Low income jobs are growing all over the country. If that was the case. NYC would have made the number one spot for jobs in America. NYC didn't even crack 10 spots. Much of the growth is in the Sunbelt again. Even though the pay is low in Texas. Commodities, utilities and housing is far cheaper than it is in NY thus making it more affordable. NYC and NYS will never become an American powerhouse again.

https://wallethub.com/edu/best-cities-for-jobs/2173/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i61O-uTCy_k&t=348s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2017, 12:39 PM

Right now. I'm stuck on three destinations on where to move to. DC is one destination. Texas is another. Either Houston or Austin. Last is Phoenix Arizona.

What I like about DC is that NYC is near by. On the weekends I can head up to NYC to visit family and friends. What I hate about DC is that like NYC its very expensive. The same shallow elitist snobbery that has took hold of NYC is also exist in DC. People boast about their college degrees and who they know. Women are just as shallow down there as they are here. I was told to do DC due to my educational background in Crime and Government.

Texas is a good look because of no state tax. Texas is very affordable, due to low cost of homes and lower utility prices. The only bad spot about Texas is the weather. Blizzards, floods, tornados, hurricanes, freak passing storms and etc. When I last visited Austin. I heard sirens for Tornado and I had to go back to the Hotel. You can see funnel clouds forming over the sky. I also enjoyed friendly atmosphere, women there are very genuine and open to conversation and a big aggressive which I'm not used to as a New Yorker. I also have to choose from three cities. Either Houston, Austin and Dallas. What I like about Dallas is that I can see all my NYC sports team play when they come to visit such as Yankees VS Rangers, Giants vs Cowboys, and Knicks vs Mavs. The other cities I do not get such opportunities.

Arizona is a also cheap place to live. I did not feel much about Arizona except the beautiful landscape, and ease of life. What I hated about Arizona is the heat. Water is your best friend in Arizona and a very important resource.

So far I narrowed down my three spots for relocation. last a buddy of mines wants me to do SF, but again. I don't want to live in another high cost mostly liberal city again, with the exception of DC.

Old 04-03-2017, 05:14 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,148,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Not true.
Very few people living in NYCHA apartments are paying $1000/month.
Only those few middle class people living in NYCHA (there are some) earning about $50,000 would pay $1000/month for their apartment.
My friend works for NYCHA, more and more people are paying close to 1k if not more to live in projects. Its still a great deal because you can't get a 2 bedroom for less than 1800 in NYC anymore and you attribute that to most projects being close to transit and in desirable neighborhoods why leave to spend more and get less. Contrary to many beliefs, there are working people that live in NYCHA. Its still heavily subsidized but people aren't paying $300 anymore or nothing not even the elderly

Last edited by cheyenne2134; 04-03-2017 at 05:23 PM..

Old 04-03-2017, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Do you have proof of this? Texas is also cheap, has lower taxes and is more business friendly than NYS and NYC. Low income jobs are growing all over the country. If that was the case. NYC would have made the number one spot for jobs in America. NYC didn't even crack 10 spots. Much of the growth is in the Sunbelt again. Even though the pay is low in Texas. Commodities, utilities and housing is far cheaper than it is in NY thus making it more affordable. NYC and NYS will never become an American powerhouse again.

https://wallethub.com/edu/best-cities-for-jobs/2173/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i61O-uTCy_k&t=348s
Ehh im not a big fan of these list at all. It doesn't say what kind of jobs (minimum wage or career fields, benefits etc.). Is the cities on this list good for jobs that don't require education? Is it comparing it to previous non-growth. NYC was always known for good jobs and compared to other cities, our growth may not compare because we aren't starting from the bottom. I need more details to know for sure if jobs in Fort Wayne Indiana is better than looking for opportunities in NYC. I may be too over qualified for the jobs there and get a fraction of what i would be receiving in NYC.

Basically these list include too many variables and are used for click bait.

Old 04-03-2017, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyenne2134 View Post
Ehh im not a big fan of these list at all. It doesn't say what kind of jobs (minimum wage or career fields, benefits etc.). Is the cities on this list good for jobs that don't require education? Is it comparing it to previous non-growth. NYC was always known for good jobs and compared to other cities, our growth may not compare because we aren't starting from the bottom. I need more details to know for sure if jobs in Fort Wayne Indiana is better than looking for opportunities in NYC. I may be too over qualified for the jobs there and get a fraction of what i would be receiving in NYC.

Basically these list include too many variables and are used for click bait.
To make matters worse. Cuomo Startup NY job initiative which is designed to bring jobs to places in NYC and rest of the state failed to do so. Cuomo should disband the program.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.3017674

http://nypost.com/2017/04/01/people-...alarming-rate/

What keeps NYC growing is immigrants, heavy out of wedlock births that on par with poor parts of the bible belt, more older people living longer. With jobs growing back in Middle America. Plenty of middle white Americans who moved to Brooklyn will probably move back home. This is not good for NYC.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 04-03-2017 at 09:37 PM..

Old 04-03-2017, 10:33 PM

Quote:
To make matters worse. Cuomo Startup NY job initiative which is designed to bring jobs to places in NYC and rest of the state failed to do so. Cuomo should disband the program.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.3017674

People are fleeing New York at an alarming rate | New York Post

What keeps NYC growing is immigrants, heavy out of wedlock births that on par with poor parts of the bible belt, more older people living longer. With jobs growing back in Middle America. Plenty of middle white Americans who moved to Brooklyn will probably move back home. This is not good for NYC.

If you watch the housing market, you would realize it's all about perception. You are in your own biased bubble. Nyc is not growing due to immigrants, according to your own articles you posted we actually lost immigrant population.

It's easy to become jaded by the place you live. People still want to be here and would love to live in NYC. Most moved here not for the jobs but the diversity and accessibility. Even with jobs people don't want to live in west bubble **** or else other urban cities around the world would be empty. But like I said our jaded views as New Yorkers easily cloud our judgement. People always think the grass is greener on the other side

Old 04-03-2017, 10:41 PM

People are still in awe of the city, they want to come here and live here. They may go back to where they came as time go on but that same cycle continues. If people wanted to be in this city during the 80s, when crime was rampant and drugs a staple of urban living. Why do people think that would change in 2017 when there were heavy job growth in the rust belt cities and economy stable.

Jobs are doing okay in the US but like trump says people are still unemployed and suffering. I'm confused about the status of middle America? One minute it's suffering and the next it's job growth central. Not sure what's really going on, I guess when everyone leaves to NC and Texas. That's the next New York. I'm all for that hopefully I'll be able to buy some more brownstones. Get out, please

Old 04-03-2017, 10:54 PM

371 posts, read 526,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyenne2134 View Post
People are still in awe of the city, they want to come here and live here. They may go back to where they came as time go on but that same cycle continues. If people wanted to be in this city during the 80s, when crime was rampant and drugs a staple of urban living. Why do people think that would change in 2017 when there were heavy job growth in the rust belt cities and economy stable.

Jobs are doing okay in the US but like trump says people are still unemployed and suffering. I'm confused about the status of middle America? One minute it's suffering and the next it's job growth central. Not sure what's really going on, I guess when everyone leaves to NC and Texas. That's the next New York. I'm all for that hopefully I'll be able to buy some more brownstones. Get out, please
so you can buy some new brownstones? in NYC? wouldn't the value decrease if people are leaving NYC??

Old 04-04-2017, 04:30 AM

3,475 posts, read 3,278,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I've been out there several times, and like the desert environment. I've even been out in fry an egg on the pavement season (August), and didn't have a problem with it. I some ways I'm sick of NYC's eccentricities and cost of living. Being here worked for me for a lot of years, but now so much now. An there's a number of things I like to do out there that I can't do either at all or nearly as easily back here.

I was smart enough to buy an apartment at the very end of the last real real estate slump that actually effected Manhattan, so have a lot of equity in my apartment. That would go a loooooonnnnngggggg way in Vegas, even given that prices in Vegas have come up from their collapse.
Which area of Las Vegas are you considering? I know a lot of retirees like to move to the Sun City Summerlin area because of the 55+ retirement community set up there.

Quote:
Right now. I'm stuck on three destinations on where to move to. DC is one destination. Texas is another. Either Houston or Austin. Last is Phoenix Arizona.

What I like about DC is that NYC is near by. On the weekends I can head up to NYC to visit family and friends. What I hate about DC is that like NYC its very expensive. The same shallow elitist snobbery that has took hold of NYC is also exist in DC. People boast about their college degrees and who they know. Women are just as shallow down there as they are here. I was told to do DC due to my educational background in Crime and Government.

Texas is a good look because of no state tax. Texas is very affordable, due to low cost of homes and lower utility prices. The only bad spot about Texas is the weather. Blizzards, floods, tornados, hurricanes, freak passing storms and etc. When I last visited Austin. I heard sirens for Tornado and I had to go back to the Hotel. You can see funnel clouds forming over the sky. I also enjoyed friendly atmosphere, women there are very genuine and open to conversation and a big aggressive which I'm not used to as a New Yorker. I also have to choose from three cities. Either Houston, Austin and Dallas. What I like about Dallas is that I can see all my NYC sports team play when they come to visit such as Yankees VS Rangers, Giants vs Cowboys, and Knicks vs Mavs. The other cities I do not get such opportunities.

Arizona is a also cheap place to live. I did not feel much about Arizona except the beautiful landscape, and ease of life. What I hated about Arizona is the heat. Water is your best friend in Arizona and a very important resource.

So far I narrowed down my three spots for relocation. last a buddy of mines wants me to do SF, but again. I don't want to live in another high cost mostly liberal city again, with the exception of DC.
Why Phoenix over Las Vegas? I did read they have a good light rail system there.

Old 04-04-2017, 07:32 AM

3,861 posts, read 3,152,805 times
You know, most people I speak to have a fear of moving away from family, rely too much on public transit, realize they wont get paid the same for the job they have, would rather keep on renting because home prices are too high, are ok and accustomed to living in close quarters.

Some look to Jersey for the American Dream (home ownership) but taxes are bad and you still gotta deal with the Snow. Some look to upstate, but the weather is worse. Poconos is another area, with that 90 minute commute to the city, and sacrifice 15 hours spent on the bus.

For me , I see family a few times a year, not so important, especially with skype. We can get a second car. You might not get paid the same, but expenses will be less. We are sick of renting, and would rather own , and get more space.

F the snow!!!!!! the freezing cold!!!! the jumbo rats and the deranged guy on the subway pleasuring himself!!!

Yes, the grass is always greener, but I need to see the green, and blue skies, and better QOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City