Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 09:04 AM

1 posts, read 2,176 times

Advertisements

To my Russian neighbors in Brighton Beach:

In this country people share neighborhoods. Hispanics have always lived in Brighton Beach and have always kept it a stable safe neighborhood. I am appalled at some Russian immigrants who do say completely wrong statements about Hispanics and crime. Most of the street crime in Brighton Beach is Russian on Russian. People are quick to blame others because it could not be their people who do these things. The police precinct can verify what I am saying. It is really sad that those that came to this country to escape bigotry who now have those same attitudes toward others... very sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2017, 09:24 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,288,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose Brandwein View Post
To my Russian neighbors in Brighton Beach:

In this country people share neighborhoods. Hispanics have always lived in Brighton Beach and have always kept it a stable safe neighborhood. I am appalled at some Russian immigrants who do say completely wrong statements about Hispanics and crime. Most of the street crime in Brighton Beach is Russian on Russian. People are quick to blame others because it could not be their people who do these things. The police precinct can verify what I am saying. It is really sad that those that came to this country to escape bigotry who now have those same attitudes toward others... very sad.
It works both ways. The Russians for whatever reason have become rather xenophobic down there. Not all but some. I can recall years ago that it wasn't like that. I grew up knowing quite a few Russians and they were cool and open to everyone (or so it seemed). May be due to what's going on in Russia and their racist attitudes spreading here. On the other hand, some Russians have expressed concern about Hispanic gangs in Brighton Beach trying to take over and using scare tactics to run the Russians out. What's your take on that?

I will say that I always find it odd when groups like Russians and Hispanics are racist towards other groups. It's no secret that a lot of the Russians here are Russian Jews who complain about being oppressed historically or fleeing to escape oppression back home and then they turn around and use racist measures against other groups (mainly non-white ones). Then you have Mexicans and other Latino groups that are quick to yell racism but do the same nonsense to Blacks (especially) and other non-Latinos. I remember not that long ago there was a lot of nonsense going on between Dominicans and Blacks. The Dominicans thought they were better than the Blacks and you had a lot of "racial" animosity. That has improved a bit too now that more Dominicans have been here for a while and see that they aren't viewed any more better than Blacks, especially since a lot of Dominicans have a substantial amount of black mixture in them, even the light skinned ones.

Old 04-03-2017, 11:26 AM

983 posts, read 931,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
It works both ways. The Russians for whatever reason have become rather xenophobic down there. Not all but some. I can recall years ago that it wasn't like that. I grew up knowing quite a few Russians and they were cool and open to everyone (or so it seemed). May be due to what's going on in Russia and their racist attitudes spreading here. On the other hand, some Russians have expressed concern about Hispanic gangs in Brighton Beach trying to take over and using scare tactics to run the Russians out. What's your take on that?

I will say that I always find it odd when groups like Russians and Hispanics are racist towards other groups. It's no secret that a lot of the Russians here are Russian Jews who complain about being oppressed historically or fleeing to escape oppression back home and then they turn around and use racist measures against other groups (mainly non-white ones). Then you have Mexicans and other Latino groups that are quick to yell racism but do the same nonsense to Blacks (especially) and other non-Latinos. I remember not that long ago there was a lot of nonsense going on between Dominicans and Blacks. The Dominicans thought they were better than the Blacks and you had a lot of "racial" animosity. That has improved a bit too now that more Dominicans have been here for a while and see that they aren't viewed any more better than Blacks, especially since a lot of Dominicans have a substantial amount of black mixture in them, even the light skinned ones.
Most of the russian jews associate more with "Jewish first, russian second" neighborhoods like Midwood than places mainly associated with russians (brighton beach, etc) which have Jews, but not as many as you'd think considering how many eastern europeans are there

Old 04-03-2017, 11:29 AM

151 posts, read 154,476 times
Quote:

Can't believe I just gave you a reputation point.

Old 04-03-2017, 11:41 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,288,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammax View Post
Most of the russian jews associate more with "Jewish first, russian second" neighborhoods like Midwood than places mainly associated with russians (brighton beach, etc) which have Jews, but not as many as you'd think considering how many eastern europeans are there
That's true, but most of Southern Brooklyn these days is majority Jewish, be it Israelis or Russian Jews, especially in areas like Brighton Beach or Sheepshead Bay. However, I'm well aware of how anti-Jewish some Russians are. Have spent enough time down there to know. You have other Eastern Europeans who are also very pro-Russia. I know a Uzbekistan guy who is very proud of his Eastern European roots.

Old 04-03-2017, 12:11 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
Quote:
That's true, but most of Southern Brooklyn these days is majority Jewish, be it Israelis or Russian Jews, especially in areas like Brighton Beach or Sheepshead Bay. However, I'm well aware of how anti-Jewish some Russians are. Have spent enough time down there to know. You have other Eastern Europeans who are also very pro-Russia. I know a Uzbekistan guy who is very proud of his Eastern European roots.
My experience with Brighton beach is that its either Jewish, and Central Asian Muslim but small community. Both groups have been sidelined by Imperial, Soviet and Putin regimes. Russian Empire was staunchly anti semtic, while Soviet Union and Putin's Russia is very anti Zionist. South Brooklyn is very Jewish these days. You don't find much old school white New Yorkers in South Brooklyn these days. From Bay Ridge for being Middle Eastern, to Brighton Beach being Russian Jewish. Last year I visited Brighton Beach on a date. I have to say. Those Central Asian ladies are hot though. But overall. Russian people tend to be historically xenophobic and not to kind about outsiders. I don't know how or why Russian Jews are xenophobic especially since years of persecution from Imperial, Soviet and Putin regimes? I always had a sense that Russian Jews were more open? Well with me they are.

I would also like to add that not all Russians in Brighton Beach are really Jewish. Most say they are Jewish, or try to associate with Judaism possibly to receive some benefits from charitable Jewish donors or something. This is what I heard from people who lived out there.

Old 04-03-2017, 12:27 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,478,550 times
Mexicans (who I believe make up most of the Hispanic populace in that neigbborhood) in NYC in general are pretty peaceful so yeah it seems like a BS notion to me too.

Old 04-03-2017, 01:25 PM

5,462 posts, read 5,707,576 times
Russian Jew here. My parents live on Brighton. I've never heard of anyone publicly or in private conversation talk negatively about the Hispanics in the neighborhood. Maybe it happens, but it is not widespread as the OP makes it out to be.

Old 04-03-2017, 05:49 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,885,695 times
80% of old Russian Jews are scamming the government for section 8, Ssi etc. never work here or pay taxes yet live like Kings . Eating expensive food going on cruises on tax Payer dime. Moochers and I support them.

Old 04-03-2017, 08:07 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Mexicans (who I believe make up most of the Hispanic populace in that neigbborhood) in NYC in general are pretty peaceful so yeah it seems like a BS notion to me too.
Generational assimilated Puerto Ricans are the one's who live in BB. They live in the houses rather than the buildings. They been in the neighborhood before the Russians arrived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City