Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 01:51 PM

762 posts, read 1,750,713 times

Advertisements

When I first moved to NYC in the early 80s, things were much more rough 'n tumble. Finding an apartment in Manhattan was a score even if it was in terrible shape. Before I was given a lease to my own place, I moved into a share that was the pits, and then squatted somewhere that was in a great neighborhood but the building itself and my apartment there were pretty run-down. Still, it was exciting to be in NYC -- in Manhattan! -- and so I took it all in stride, as did so many of the people I knew back then. We were so thrilled to be in New York, even if our apartments were very crappy.

I've been in my current apartment a long, long time. A 20-unit walk-up, this building was clean and in great shape, although my apartment is small. Nothing has been improved in my unit since I moved in, except for getting new (used) stove and fridge. The kitchen and bathroom could use some updating but they aren't totally awful. Last summer, during a renovation of the apartment above me, a leak caused my bathroom ceiling to come crashing down but it's been replaced. The building and my apartment are in basically decent shape.

However, the street I'm on and the business in the building next to me have both become very noisy. My neighbors in the building can be very noisy, too. The noise from all sources can be quite disturbing. Plus my former Super, who was a gem, retired and left -- and the new one is a total dud who doesn't keep the building as clean as it used to be. It hasn't become a terrible problem yet, but doesn't look so nice anymore.

My next door neighbor plays her music very loudly, and often into the wee hours whenever she is home (which, thankfully, isn't every night). Yes, I've complained but it does no good. I do have a "white noise" machine, which helps a bit, but the wall in between our two apartments must be very thin!

ANYWAY, I have been thinking of sharing my apartment, after not having done so for many years, but my current circumstances are prompting me to consider doing it again. What I am wondering is - what do most people expect out of roommate situations these days, ya think? I wonder if anyone is as willing to put up with the rough 'n tumble like we used to. It seems that people these days are much more spoiled than my friends and I back when I moved here. I don't have cable or a home phone line anymore, and I assume most people pay for their own wifi and cell service. Would they expect to put in cable? To have brand-new appliances? Do people looking for roommate situations nowadays expect to be in touch with and known to the landlord? Do people want to be added to a lease?

My apartment is in a great neighborhood on the upper east side, and a roommate would have VERY VERY cheap rent to pay because I've been here so long. Sharing here would be great for someone who wants to save money and only needs a place to hang their hat, so to speak. But it's basic, tiny, very noisy, not luxurious, and I have no intention of adding anyone to my lease.

Just trying to get a feel for what the expectations are. What do you all think?

Last edited by citychik; 04-05-2017 at 02:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2017, 04:32 PM

4,775 posts, read 6,573,986 times
Why would you want to share your place? Unless you really need the money, and it doesn't sound as if you do, I would recommend against it. You're opening yourself up for a world of hurt.

Old 04-05-2017, 05:16 PM

As I said, my circumstances are such that sharing my small apartment is something I am seriously considering. I don't know how what I wrote could be construed as indicating that I don't need the money -- indeed I do. Not counting my ex who used to live here, I've shared this apartment with roommates before, but not since the late '90s. That seems like a world away. I've had very nice roommates and I've had roommates from Hell, so I know about that aspect of it. I'm not looking forward to the idea, but will do what I must. I just want to know what folks look for in a share these days so I can see what I might be able to offer and how to prepare.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:59 PM

371 posts, read 526,764 times
a share can be difficult, a roommate can tell you to move out for no reason or just because you keep to yourself.

i was in one and his cousin had moved out, but his cousin was still on the lease. so he said his cousin wanted to move back in, I said I didn't want to move out and he said he would have me evicted.

I called the housing board and they said I could wipe my ass with the letter my roommate got from a lawyer as a judge will not evict anyone who is not doing anything wrong.

my roommate tried all his high and mighty posturing and he told me the lawyer was a family friend and right when he said that, i stopped listening to him as obviously the "family friend" was going to do whatever he wanted

Old 04-05-2017, 10:04 PM

Sorry you were in a tough situation, but it doesn't relate to mine at all and doesn't answer any of my questions, so I'm not sure why you posted.

Old 04-05-2017, 10:32 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,238,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citychik View Post
Sorry you were in a tough situation, but it doesn't relate to mine at all and doesn't answer any of my questions, so I'm not sure why you posted.
Yes it does he was telling you how a roommate could ********* big time. You let someone move in for 30 days, they have proof of living there, good luck getting them to leave. You could potentially steal you cheap apt.

Old 04-05-2017, 11:21 PM

Jeez. I've had many roommates in my lifetime. I'm not inexperienced; it's just been a long time. I am not worried about selecting someone, as I'm a good judge of character. I only had two roommates from Hell, out of many more than that over a number of years, and neither one stole from me.

These types of responses are not answering my question about what people expect in a share in 2017. I am wondering if my basic accommodations and the noise level in my apartment is going to make it harder to find someone, even though my place is in a great location. Do most people looking for a share today expect lots of amenities like a washer in the apartment, cable, etc. That's all I want to know. I'm not interested in reading negativity about sharing in general - it has nothing to do with what I'm asking and it's stupid to keep harping on that notion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
You could potentially steal you cheap apt.
What? Grammatically, the above makes no sense.

Old 04-06-2017, 01:38 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,301,303 times
Since your apartment is so cheap why don't u put some elbow grease into making it inviting and comfortable for u? Like a dose of paint. U can change the bathroom vanity as diy for less than $300. U can spruce up your kitchen with new knobs and new countertop.
U can buy a stove. I don't understand why people are so frugal to the point that they would rather live in a dump even when getting a massive discount on rent. U would also get better quality tenants. There is always someone willing to do an apartment share. If u want better quality roommates put a little love into your apartment.

Old 04-06-2017, 08:54 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,915,997 times
I understand the question, OP, and I think you're going to get a big range of answers. Younger people who are coming to NYC to chase their dreams may have lower standards (sorry, those words have a negative connotation, I don't mean it to be negative, but can't think of a better way to actually describe it), and older, more established people who just can't afford to live on their own will likely have higher standards.

As I've gotten older, I am less willing to put up with things that don't meet my personal set of standards because they're cheap. I can't/won't do somewhere loud or tiny, and I need somewhere that can feel like home. That's me, though. I have stuff and I'm a homebody. Someone 15 years younger may just have a suitcase full of clothing and be willing to live anywhere.

That begs the question, do you want to live with someone younger or closer to your own age?

I haven't looked for a roommate situation in a long time, I would rather pay more and live further out of Manhattan to live alone and have my own space. When I was last looking, I was in my early 30's, and even still wouldn't have been interested in the apartment you describe.

LOVEROFNYC has some good suggestions. There are ways to make it more inviting without breaking the bank.

Old 04-06-2017, 09:02 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citychik View Post
I am wondering if my basic accommodations and the noise level in my apartment is going to make it harder to find someone, even though my place is in a great location. Do most people looking for a share today expect lots of amenities like a washer in the apartment, cable, etc. That's all I want to know.
Honestly, it's New York. In other cities, this might be a bad thing. But someone would be thrilled to find cheaper than normal rent in the city even if you didn't have cable or a big kitchen. Most people in NYC aren't looking for much more than a place to sleep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City