Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2017, 04:30 AM

153 posts, read 219,474 times

Advertisements

I'll try to keep this brief. I've been miserable and looking for over a year on how to get an uncontested divorce started and each Google search confuses me more. Also, I'm very limited on funds and so is my husband so we're trying to do this as cheaply as possible... possibly free besides filing fees.

We have two children but I won't be asking for support or alimony and the same for him. We also agreed we'd split the kids fairly and not fight. We make each other miserable but he's a solid (and smart) human being as I am and we know we have way more to lose fighting than to gain. We agreed we don't want the courts making decisions for us and that we will each take care of our own living. Basically, neither of us want the headache. We're happy apart but mature enough to compromise splitting the kids.

I'm confused because whenever I look for an uncontested divorce it states it's not for people with children under 21. Not sure if this is true. Also, it just seems I'm led to multiple sites (government ones as well) that give no clear step by step directions.

I feel almost silly asking this but where would a starting point be? Do I go to a certain courthouse for the papers? We both want this to be done with as quickly as possible and don't want court intervention. I know we are probably one of the very rare couples divorcing but we actually have zero interest in screwing the other over.

Could anyone please point me in the right direction? Where can we file? How long does it usually take?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2017, 05:07 AM

1 posts, read 501 times
Uncontested Divorce - DIY Forms | NY CourtHelp

Old 04-10-2017, 06:04 AM

153 posts, read 219,474 times
I have kids under 21. Has anyone been able to do an uncontested, cheap divorce with kids?

Old 04-10-2017, 06:28 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,083,522 times
The website that Casey provided has a lot of info. You should check it out.

Children in a Divorce Case | NY CourtHelp

When there are children in a divorce case, issues of custody, visitation, and child support must be worked out before the Judge will sign the Judgment.

If you have children under 21, use the paper Uncontested Divorce Packet.

Big Ass Tiddays!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City