Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2017, 06:31 PM

18 posts, read 16,793 times

Advertisements

I'm vacillating between thinking to try a by-owner route on my own - or not. I'm probably not savvy enough to do it on my own, but the fees - broker, building, city, lawyer - all add up until it seems like in the vicinity of 20%.

The broker fee particularly bothers me because very often the broker doesn't do much work. At least, not work worth tens of thousands of dollars. I was startled to find the standard fee seems to be 6%. Someone spontaneously offered 5%. Does it ever get down to 4%?

Meanwhile, still looking unsuccessfully for any good how-to guide for FSBO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2017, 07:05 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
As with everything you get what you pay for.

Old 04-12-2017, 04:28 PM

18 posts, read 16,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
As with everything you get what you pay for.
Sorry, but apart from that being unhelpful, it's not necessarily true, and especially not in NYC. I'm sure you know that there are all kinds of avenues for being things less expensively, and all kinds of situations where people will charge less for their services.

Old 04-12-2017, 10:31 PM

6,150 posts, read 4,516,808 times
FSBO is not common in NYC and I think you might regret it in a co-op where the requirements can be complicated. In very lean times I've heard of people offering less than 5%, but the broker can refuse, of course.

Old 04-13-2017, 06:06 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
I would first try selling by myself and see how it went.

If I were a broker and somebody called and said "I am selling a million dollar co-op, will you accept 4% to do it?" I would be likely to say yes especially if I judged the price to be realistic.

Old 04-13-2017, 10:13 AM

15,844 posts, read 14,479,382 times
Interview brokers, and let them know right away that you're looking for a discount. It's a sellers market. At least in the realm of non-oligarch priced apartments, brokers have a much harder time finding apartments to sell as opposed to people to buy them. Let it be know that your looking to sell, and you'll have brokers crawling all over you to get the listing. Let it be known that to get it they'll need to drop their fee to, say, 4%, and see what happens.

Old 08-16-2017, 05:32 AM

11 posts, read 13,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erezz View Post
Meanwhile, still looking unsuccessfully for any good how-to guide for FSBO.
@erezz, what did you end up doing? If you are still deciding, did you end up finding/reading this NYC FSBO guide? https://www.hauseit.com/for-sale-by-owner-steps-in-nyc/

It doesn't seem like too complicated of a process to be honest. Even the dreaded 'board' package is ultimately just a large administrative task of assembling some documents, proof reading and corroborating some figures on the financial statements. Hardly worth paying 6% for IMO!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City