Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 06:49 AM

3,559 posts, read 2,394,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Yes, so those well-dressed Jews who live in Homecrest/Sheepshead Bay/Gravesend (who may also say that they live in "Flatbush", by the way - yes really!) are the Sephardic community - most of them are originally from Syria or Egypt (with a smattering from other Middle Eastern locales). The Sephardic Community Center (a Y of sorts) is on Ocean Parkway and Avenue S I believe.

Many people refer to the community as simply "Syrian Jews" since the majority are of Syrian origin.
You may find that they dress nicely, because although they are all nominally Orthodox (all of the Sephardic synagogues in the area are Orthodox), they tend to be more modern than the Ashkenazi/European Jews in the rest of Midwood, or in Borough Park, etc.
Therefore, they do dress more modern, many of the women don't cover their hair, etc.
True, many of them are stylish because it's a relatively wealthy community on average, and also, they have a pretty big presence in the fashion industry as a matter of fact (some Syrian Jews, i.e., Isaac Mizrahi is from the Brooklyn Syrian Jewish community, went into fashion as a career.)
Yea my mom use to do nanny work for A Syrian Jewish family in Old Westbury back in the early 90s! Still keep in touch with the family today!

Thanks for clearing that up because even yesterday while driving around Ave U and Ave S I noticed some of the woman dressed so modern that they even wear pants.

They definitely also seem more integrated with others as well!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2018, 05:42 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,595,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
\

Thanks for clearing that up because even yesterday while driving around Ave U and Ave S I noticed some of the woman dressed so modern that they even wear pants.

They definitely also seem more integrated with others as well!
Yes, some Syrian Jews here in Brooklyn are not really so religiously observant, but the families are very tight and many are traditional, go to Orthodox synagogues, do holidays together.
Some are very observant/religious, dress modestly, women wearing only skirts, covering hair, etc., but other women in that community do wear pants, jeans, dress like secular New Yorkers.

Those who are Orthodox tend to be modern Orthodox (although a few are more observant than modern Orthodox), sort of like the Jewish community on the Upper West Side, where people are very integrated in general society, but also observe Judaism and its traditions.

You're right: The Syrian community is better integrated than the Jewish communities in Crown Heights (which tend to be Lubavicher chassidic), Williamsburg (Satmar chassidic), and Borough Park (a mix of different, mostly chasidic groups).

There are some other Jews in Midwood ("Flatbush", haha) who are also Modern Orthodox (some Ashkenazi/European Jews), but not that many anymore. Most Orthodox Jews in Midwood, besides the Syrians, are not really modern Orthodox, but rather ultra-Orthodox or else there are some chassids as well.

Old 04-02-2018, 06:40 PM

179 posts, read 109,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
That is a legit name though, right? As opposed to Ditmas Park

Similarly, I predict people will start using "Mott Haven" more when it gentrified, even though that name is completely valid and has been around for a long time. I know a girl who lived in Mott Haven her entire life and she didn't even seem to know what Mott Haven is! I wonder why The Bronx lacks the neighborhood pride that Brooklyn has.
It was probably cooked up by a developer but the term Ditmas Park has referred to a part of Flatbush since the year 1900 - same with Beverly Square which has been swallowed up it seems by Ditmas Park.I guess turning 118 would make the name legit.

Old 04-03-2018, 11:34 AM

174 posts, read 187,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
You don't even live in NYC. You live out on Long Island. I grew up in NYC, and I certainly don't need your stamp of approval. Bushwick is far from fully gentrified, and I can say that rather comfortably.

So let's see. Last I checked there is a difference between working class families and people who are working white collar jobs, hence one is established as in is truly middle class and not living paycheck to paycheck. You have a lot of nerve calling me racist after your little racist tirade about Woodlawn and how there's a bar on every corner, as if all Irish people are drunks. In other words you think being Jewish allows you to **** on other ethnic white groups and thus you get a pass from being racist. Nice try.
I don't spend a ton of time on this forum, but the one thing that has stood out to me in basically every thread I've gone into is that you are a classist.. and that much of that classism seems to be a (very) thin veil for racism.

Take it or leave it.

Even something like this...

Quote:
Yes but most of the Jews in Midwood own, and owning allows you to have control over staying in an area or being pushed out. That's why I laugh at African-Americans that hold meetings about being pushed out of Harlem. It's pretty simple. Either you own and can afford the taxes and mortgage or you rent and can afford the increases or you have to pack up and go.
I guess it's cool that you laugh at Black people going through housing struggles. It's easy to do without acknowledging the history of redlining that made it basically impossible for them to buy property in their own neighborhoods. Hahahahahaha. Joke's on them, amirite?

Old 04-03-2018, 12:59 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TizOnly1 View Post
I don't spend a ton of time on this forum, but the one thing that has stood out to me in basically every thread I've gone into is that you are a classist.. and that much of that classism seems to be a (very) thin veil for racism.

Take it or leave it.

Even something like this...

I guess it's cool that you laugh at Black people going through housing struggles. It's easy to do without acknowledging the history of redlining that made it basically impossible for them to buy property in their own neighborhoods. Hahahahahaha. Joke's on them, amirite?
You don't spend a lot of time on this forum and that definitely shows, but nice try.

I laugh at them because their meetings are pointless. They can have all of the meetings they want because it won't matter unless they own. If they rent and can't afford the increases, they will be pushed out, and that's true of every ethnic group in this city, so yes it's foolish to hold meetings and be angry as if you're really going to solve the problem of gentrification when you don't own a thing. Gentrification is what it is. Either you can afford to live there or you can't. I also laugh because you can't stop gentrification. A lot of ethnic neighborhoods have changed over the years and believe me, every group laments it but change is inevitable.

Old 04-03-2018, 01:18 PM

Quote:
You don't spend a lot of time on this forum and that definitely shows, but nice try.

I laugh at them because their meetings are pointless. They can have all of the meetings they want because it won't matter unless they own. If they rent and can't afford the increases, they will be pushed out, and that's true of every ethnic group in this city, so yes it's foolish to hold meetings and be angry as if you're really going to solve the problem of gentrification when you don't own a thing. Gentrification is what it is. Either you can afford to live there or you can't. I also laugh because you can't stop gentrification. A lot of ethnic neighborhoods have changed over the years and believe me, every group laments it but change is inevitable.
So again.. you laugh at people's desperation, brought on in large part by discriminatory practices outside of their control.

You sound like an amazing person.

Old 04-03-2018, 01:23 PM

Quote:
So again.. you laugh at people's desperation, brought on in large part by discriminatory practices outside of their control.

You sound like an amazing person.
No, I laugh at people not using logic. You want to mobilize?? OWN. Pretty simple concept. If you're uneducated and didn't make something of yourself and then become angry when you're pushed out of your neighborhood, well the only person to be angry at is yourself for not making the best of your opportunities. We all have choices in life and some people make the right ones and some make the wrong ones.

Old 04-03-2018, 01:32 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,614,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
haha, I wonder why she would even think to pronounce it like that.

What I bet people f up 100% of the time though, is Houston Street.

Also, the aforementioned chick from Mott Haven, "corrected" me when I pronounced Betances the way it's pronounced in Spanish, and said it's "Beh-tan-sis". And she's Hispanic herself lol.
I hear it on the subway a lot. People don't know history (which I don't look down at, for many it's not interesting). Houston the city and Houston the street are named after two different people. There's no correct way of saying it, especially with how many idiocies are in the English language. People see Houston when they look at the US, they don't see Houston St until they look at Manhattan, so I generally expect the mispronunciation.

It's ignorant sure, but honestly it really doesn't matter. Again, I can't expect the drunk couple on the F train to know about a neighborhood founded in the 1600-1700s as Corlear's Hook, where the street walkers roamed free lol.

Old 04-03-2018, 01:40 PM

Quote:
No, I laugh at people not using logic. You want to mobilize?? OWN. Pretty simple concept. If you're uneducated and didn't make something of yourself and then become angry when you're pushed out of your neighborhood, well the only person to be angry at is yourself for not making the best of your opportunities. We all have choices in life and some people make the right ones and some make the wrong ones.
So you're the type of person that willfully ignores actual historical realities that muddy up your points, based on ideological bull****. Got it.

You can ignore the history of redlining.. specifically redlining in Harlem, which is WELL documented, so you can maintain some bull**** indignation.. I mean.. have fun. Just know that this is the kind of thing that makes you look like a racist/classist/fairly ****ty person.

Old 04-03-2018, 01:41 PM

Quote:
So you're the type of person that willfully ignores actual historical realities that muddy up your points, based on ideological bull****. Got it.

You can ignore the history of redlining.. specifically redlining in Harlem, which is WELL documented, so you can maintain some bull**** indignation.. I mean.. have fun. Just know that this is the kind of thing that makes you look like a racist/classist/fairly ****ty person.
Right... Saying that people should own and have something they can build a nest egg off of makes me racist. I don't know what hole you crawled from but you'd be better off staying there. Tell that to all of the blacks that own in Harlem in elsewhere in this city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City