Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2018, 05:06 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,572,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
No, if I really had a problem with Jews, I wouldn't live in a neighborhood with a sizable Jewish population, so yet again you are wrong, and there are no bars on every corner in Woodlawn, only in your distorted mind. There are also different segments of middle class, and overall Sunset Park is mainly working class, and Bay Ridge, especially west of Third Avenue, is upper middle to upper class, and mainly white collar individuals.

I don't know why you're trying to make Sunset Park out to be more than what it is. Historically it was an industrial dump, and most of the people living in the residential part lived there because it was cheap. Sure it has gentrified to some degree, but overall it's still ugly and cannot compare to Bay Ridge, which has always been established. It doesn't need to be gentrified. It's like comparing Coney Island to Manhattan Beach... Coney Island is seeing improvements but it is still relatively run down and poor. Manhattan Beach on the other hand is mainly upper middle to upper class.
You can't compare Coney Island and Sunset Park.

Coney Island is the second poorest neighborhood in Brooklyn (after Brownsville).

It is also mostly projects.

Sunset Park is working class, not that high-crime, and from what I understand, doesn't have any projects in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2018, 05:20 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,362,892 times
Quote:
I didn't say $100,000. I said OVER $100,000. Stop reading what you want to read.

What do you call gentrifying exactly?

Neither did I but as you said people love to draw the race card.
I live in Midwood and I don’t see it gentrifying ever to the levels of North Brooklyn. Even with the luxury apartments they are adding in the area, the orthodox Jewish community will never be pushed out to the levels of black and Hispanics in other areas.

Neither do I see the business streets in Midwood ever changing from mostly Jewish owned to chain stores!

Old 04-01-2018, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Ave H and Ocean Ave is considered midwood, right? That part can definitely gentrify
I think the train tracks beteeen Ave I and Ave H separate Midwood from Flatbush, similar to how the same tracks separate Flatbush from Flatlands. I went to Midwood high school so maybe that area is considered Midwood but everyone who lived on Ocean between H, Glenwood, Farragut and Foster always claimed Flatbush!

Race played a part it in because of Flatbush being black and Midwood being white/Jewish! So the black people on Ocean and H felt more related to Flatbush.

Also the luxury buildings that have replaced the Victorian homes on that block are much more expensive than the apartments already there so maybe you are right. Foster Ave looks like it can gentrifying and Ave H is pretty empty except that one block by the Q train with a few businesses!

Old 04-01-2018, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Jews don't live at Avenue H ?

I think all of Midwood is quite diverse, with Asians, Hispanics, etc, living there, but the neighborhood is simply predominately Jewish.
There are plenty of Russian Jews in Midwood as well and they tend not to be wealthy, in fact they have a relatively high poverty rate.
Orthodox Jews in general have a high poverty rate, but the Orthodox Jews in Midwood are more modern than those in Borough Park, and tend to be less poor/wealthier.
In addition, Asians, as we know, have quite a low poverty rate
The specific street in question Ocean Ave between the streets of Ave H and Foster is by far mostly black.
The Jewish folks live west of that street mostly on east 16,17,18,19

On the east sides of Ocean the Victorian houses are a bit more diverse with more black Victorian home owners but still Jews in the mix!

Old 04-01-2018, 05:36 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,401,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
I think the train tracks beteeen Ave I and Ave H separate Midwood from Flatbush, similar to how the same tracks separate Flatbush from Flatlands. I went to Midwood high school so maybe that area is considered Midwood but everyone who lived on Ocean between H, Glenwood, Farragut and Foster always claimed Flatbush!

Race played a part it in because of Flatbush being black and Midwood being white/Jewish! So the black people on Ocean and H felt more related to Flatbush.

Also the luxury buildings that have replaced the Victorian homes on that block are much more expensive than the apartments already there so maybe you are right. Foster Ave looks like it can gentrifying and Ave H is pretty empty except that one block by the Q train with a few businesses!
I think race is definitely a part of it. I'm not even sure if black people claim PLG as opposed to Flatbush.

Old 04-01-2018, 05:36 PM

12,742 posts, read 8,187,756 times
Quote:
I live in Midwood and I don’t see it gentrifying ever to the levels of North Brooklyn. Even with the luxury apartments they are adding in the area, the orthodox Jewish community will never be pushed out to the levels of black and Hispanics in other areas.

Neither do I see the business streets in Midwood ever changing from mostly Jewish owned to chain stores!
Yes but most of the Jews in Midwood own, and owning allows you to have control over staying in an area or being pushed out. That's why I laugh at African-Americans that hold meetings about being pushed out of Harlem. It's pretty simple. Either you own and can afford the taxes and mortgage or you rent and can afford the increases or you have to pack up and go.

Old 04-01-2018, 05:38 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,401,976 times
Quote:
The specific street in question Ocean Ave between the streets of Ave H and Foster is by far mostly black.
The Jewish folks live west of that street mostly on east 16,17,18,19

On the east sides of Ocean the Victorian houses are a bit more diverse with more black Victorian home owners but still Jews in the mix!
I saw a black bodega clerk for the first time ever over there! The neighborhood also seems to have a lot of Mexicans.

Old 04-01-2018, 05:41 PM

Quote:
I think race is definitely a part of it. I'm not even sure if black people claim PLG as opposed to Flatbush.
Exactly and when I use to work for the DOT hearing the new white hipsters constantly say PLG was annoying.

People who live on the Flatbush side of PLG have always claimed Flatbush while people who lived on the Nostrand/New York Ave side have always claimed Crown Heights!

Rogers and Bedford might have been the only area where PLG was a reference because of all the landmarked brownstones there, similar to how back in the day the only people who referred to Ditmas Park were folks who resided in the landmarked Victorian house blocks!

Old 04-01-2018, 05:43 PM

12,742 posts, read 8,187,756 times
Quote:
I saw a black bodega clerk for the first time ever over there! The neighborhood also seems to have a lot of Mexicans.
Maybe he was a black Latino (aka blatino). They do exist you know.

Old 04-01-2018, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Yes but most of the Jews in Midwood own, and owning allows you to have control over staying in an area or being pushed out. That's why I laugh at African-Americans that hold meetings about being pushed out of Harlem. It's pretty simple. Either you own and can afford the taxes and mortgage or you rent and can afford the increases or you have to pack up and go.
True but understand that Midwood was never a hell hole the way Harlem and Bed Stuy were in the crack epedemic. The same way people on these boards like to yell how they would never live in so and so neighborhood was the same mindset African americans had in Harlem etc. if you had the money to leave Harlem and run away from the madness than it was a no brainer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City