U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2017, 08:07 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,637,117 times

Advertisements

I've noticed my grandmother often calls Park Avenue "Fourth Avenue". Then today I saw this on 23rd and Park. I know "Sixth Avenue" is also known as "Avenue of the Americas". Is Park Avenue AKA Fourth Avenue?

Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2017, 08:42 PM

26,038 posts, read 19,277,149 times
Yes, technically Park Avenue is "Fourth Avenue"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Park_Avenue

4th AVENUE, Manhattan - Forgotten New York

Why Is There No 4th Ave in Manhattan? | The Huffington Post

While we're at it; CPW is Eighth Avenue.

Adam Clayton Blvd is Seventh Avenue

Sutton Place is Avenue A

The one block north of Sutton Place at East 59th and everything north above that is York Avenue, but really again Avenue A.

And so it goes..

Old 04-12-2017, 06:21 AM

23,734 posts, read 32,841,013 times
There actually IS still a "Fourth Avenue." It runs slightly diagonal roughly from a bit South of Astor Place to Union Square.

Old 04-12-2017, 06:42 AM

9,032 posts, read 22,259,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Yes, technically Park Avenue is "Fourth Avenue"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Park_Avenue

4th AVENUE, Manhattan - Forgotten New York

Why Is There No 4th Ave in Manhattan? | The Huffington Post

While we're at it; CPW is Eighth Avenue.

Adam Clayton Blvd is Seventh Avenue

Sutton Place is Avenue A

The one block north of Sutton Place at East 59th and everything north above that is York Avenue, but really again Avenue A.

And so it goes..
So,why isn't Lexington Avenue Fourth Avenue? Southern terminus too far North to have been considered in the numbering plan? Always wonder about this since it sits between Third and Fourth. That of course would make Park Avenue 5th Avenue ,Madison Avenue 6th Avenue and 5th Avenue 7th Avenue,etc.

Old 04-12-2017, 06:44 AM

983 posts, read 766,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
So,why isn't Lexington Avenue Fourth Avenue ? Southern terminus too far North to have been considered in the numbering plan ? Always wonder about this since it sits between Third and Fourth. That of course would make Park Avenue 5th Avenue ,Madison Avenue 6th Avenue and 5th Avenue 7th Avenue,etc.
Lex is too close to 3rd. Lexington is more like "3 and a half avenue". Park is 4th, madison is 4 and a half.

Old 04-12-2017, 06:49 AM

So,why isn't Lexington Avenue Fourth Avenue ?

It's a matter of distance. Park Avenue is halfway between Third and Fifth Avenues. Lexington and Madison are "half blocks."

When I figure my walking distances I count street blocks (like 90th, 91st) as one block and each proper avenue as 3 blocks. Lex and Madison are 1.5 blocks. Then I total them all and divide by 20 to get the miles walked.

Old 04-12-2017, 06:57 AM

9,032 posts, read 22,259,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
So,why isn't Lexington Avenue Fourth Avenue ?

It's a matter of distance. Park Avenue is halfway between Third and Fifth Avenues. Lexington and Madison are "half blocks."

When I figure my walking distances I count street blocks (like 90th, 91st) as one block and each proper avenue as 3 blocks. Lex and Madison are 1.5 blocks. Then I total them all and divide by 20 to get the miles walked.
Oh,ok, that makes perfect sense... that they would name avenues according to distance between avenues.

While we are at it, is the distance between North/South avenues on the UES ...like in the 80's and 90's... greater than further downtown or is that just some kind of illusion ? Some of those stretches feel like 4 or 5 blocks not 3

I know you live up there ...want you to get out your tape measure.

Old 04-12-2017, 07:14 AM

I don't know anyone besides my grandmother who calls "Park Avenue" as "Fourth Avenue". Is it just an old fashioned thing that has fallen out of favor? Maybe because everyone prefers the prestige of "Park Avenue"? I know everyone calls it 4th Avenue between Cooper Union and Union Square. But not above Union Square.

Old 04-12-2017, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Oh,ok, that makes perfect sense... that they would name avenues according to distance between avenues.

While we are at it, is the distance between North/South avenues on the UES ...like in the 80's and 90's... greater than further downtown or is that just some kind of illusion ? Some of those stretches feel like 4 or 5 blocks not 3

It is indeed an illusion, BlueDog.
What interblock distance seems unduly long to you? For me it is always the LAST ones.

Old 04-12-2017, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
It is indeed an illusion, BlueDog.
What interblock distance seems unduly long to you? For me it is always the LAST ones.
The distance between 5th and 6th seems ridiculously long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City